Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got a Verizon 750p a few weeks ago...it is running the 1.10 upgrade and Versamail 3.54 set to auto sync to my 1and1 outsourced exchange server. The last few days it keeps asking me to perform an EAS sync. When I do, I usual get an error saying the server doesn't recognize my username or password....I try a few times and then is it works. It keeps asking me several times a day to do this and usually will not let me send outgoing email without syncing it several times as well.

Does anyone know if this is a Versamail or a 1and 1 problem.
    I had the same exact problem! Same exchange box from 1and1 and same EAS Activesync version 3.5.4 on my treo 700p with sprint. I first assumed that it was due to poor signal strength and let it slide for about a week but as the problem never got anybetter and my phone would wake me in the night asking me to sync I investigated. Since the setup on my phone had not changed in the better part of a year and this was the first sign of trouble I looked into any changes with 1and1 and found that they recently upgraded to support outlook 2007....I calle tech support (i use the term loosely) and all they wanted to know was if I could connect with my outlook. Since I could all they would say was it is a third party software issue is there anything else I can help you with? Balls. Balls Balls.

So long story short I cancelled my 1and1 exchange and I am know using snappermail as my email client and haven't looked back since push email isn't critical for me. I can deal with every 5 or 10 minutes syncing. If you have to have push look into chatter and IMAP....Just my 2 cents
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I have the same problem, another problem that I have is problems syncing my calender and contacts. I wish there was a way to disable contact and calender syncing for push email. When you select mail, it selects them all to sync. This caused duplicate contacts, this also causes my calender entries to be screwed up. I just set it to sync every 30 minutes for email only. Kind of defeats the purpose though.
    Treo 600-->Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w --> HTC Touch Diamond --> HTC Touch Pro 2 --> HTC EVO
    Sounds like one or more of your email boxes on the server are full. Try moving some messages from the corp server to a .pst file.
    Matty
    Unfortunately my box was about 1/15th capacity....
  6.    #6  
    I am going to wait a few days and see what happens....it sounds like this is related to Exchange 2007....I did have some problems logging on through OWA the last few days on my pc....let me see if they work the kinks out.
    I was using Treo650 from Sprint and had no problems until August 10, 2007. That is when I started getting error messages 9 times out of 10 telling me that Username and/or password not recognized. I use 1and1 Exchange and have for almost two years now and have loved it, no problems at all, great price...etc...

But went to install Outlook 2007 the other day 09/01/07, it shut down my computer the entire day and ended up having to uninstall and re-install 2003. Found out that 1and1 is having trouble with 2007. Not to mention 1and1 doesn't support Black Berry, so I had to go Treo. I was looking foward to Outlook 2007 but after searching online found out yet again 1 & 1 is having Trouble with upgrades and their machines. I think they have morons working there.

Now I'm using the new Treo 755p and getting the same error message everytime I sync except on VERY rare occasions, I get the user/pass error. Not sure what to do but this is pointless. I'm SO FRUSTRATED. Can't stuff that's been around as long as Exchange just work???

The entire reason I got the 1and1 Exchange Hosting was to be able to get my email pushed down to my phone along with calendar and contacts. 1and1 is great until they touch something then all breaks loose . There is no one at 1and1 that has a clue what they are doing. Don't even bother calling tech support because I promise you, that you know more than they do if you know anything.

I've searched and searched for a different port to use, proxy, anything that will stop the errors. I guess I'm going to have to go through the pain of setting up another exchange with a different company and moving over. 1and1 is great until there's a problem and then you will wish all day long you were with anyone but them. 1&1 Hosting is great, but if you have an issue, you will have to figure it out yourself even on the website stuff.

Please let me know if anyone finds a solution. Thanks!
    I wanted to post the error for people searching and so you would know the details to anyone who can help
    ==================================

ERROR:
    -----------------------------------------
    There was a problem with syncing.
    The server did not recognize your username and/or password.
    Please check and try again.

Details:
    ------------------------------------------------
    AirSAMStateMachine.c3670 6 401
    Unauthorized Content-Length: 1539
    Content-Type:text/html
    Server:Microsoft-llS/6.0 WWW-Authenticate:
  9.    #9  
    The problem seems to be a bit better today.....anyone else noticing that
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I'm glad I found this thread, I'm having the exact same problems. Well not me, actually, my mom - who has a Treo 680 with EAS. I just got her setup with 1and1 exchange hosting, and I've got her Treo configured to sync with EAS every 2 hours.

Since I'm her tech support, I get a call anytime something goes wrong - which is pretty much every day for the past week since she's been doing EAS. In her case, she's clearly having situations where her Treo is not syncing and she often has the "alarm icon" in the upper left hand corner telling her "EAS: please press the sync button". (or something like that) My suspicion is that anytime an auto-sync fails, it pops up that alert.
    When I have her manually sync, she gets the "unknown user name/password" error about 50% of the time.

My impression from reading some threads is that EAS on Palm works fairly well, but since the common denominator for all of us on this thread is 1and1 hosting, then it certainly seems likely that they're the culprit. I'll be calling them tonight and I'll see if I get anywhere.

As an aside, for those of you who have (or had) this problem, have you tried switching to another Exchange hosting service - and if so, did it resolve the problem?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quick update: I just got off the phone with 1and1 tech support. (yikes) After explaining the problem to him, he said I should change my password, since that will probably fix it. Ahhhh, no. His next suggestion was that "since the problem is intermittent, that means the problem is with the Treo." Sorry, try again.

I finally got him to check with level 2 tech support. Lo and behold, they were aware of the problem and are working on it. Apparently, they installed a new frontend about a month ago which coincides with the start of the problems. (this also seems supported by WildRiver's observation that the problems started showing up for him on August 10th)

Now, he couldn't tell me exactly what this "frontend" was, but it definitely sounds like it's not Exchange 2007 itself, but rather some other layer (possibly an authentication layer in between the firewall and Exchange??) that is causing the problem. Anyway, I reminded him that I have 24 days left on my trial period and that I would be canceling my mom's account and moving it if the problem isn't fixed by that point. He said it should be.

So take all that for what it's worth, but I'm at least hopeful that this might get fixed since they are aware of it and are acknowleding that the problem is theirs.
    I'm also glad I found this thread. I'm having the exact same problem with 1and1, treo 650, versamail 3.5. I've noticed it's a bit better today so I hope they're making progress on the problem. I'll keep bugging tech support there so hopefully they'll move more quickly (fat chance...).
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhliu View Post
    I'm also glad I found this thread. I'm having the exact same problem with 1and1, treo 650, versamail 3.5. I've noticed it's a bit better today so I hope they're making progress on the problem. I'll keep bugging tech support there so hopefully they'll move more quickly (fat chance...).
    Yeah, I think the best thing we can do at this point is keep bugging them. I wonder if this is NOT an issue with Windows Mobile devices? I've done some searching in the Treo 700wx forum and haven't found anyone complaining of this issue. I would assume that there's at least a few people over there who are using 1and1....

Also, just as a point of reference I've opened a free exchange account at mail2web and am testing that with my Mom's Treo 680 in the meantime. So far it's been flawless. The downside of mail2web is in order to be able to connect Outlook with their Exchange server, you need to have a business level account which is like $13/month.
    Just tonight I've started encountering two new error msgs. One error msg has something to do with "ms exchange hotfix ###". wondering if others have seen the same? wonder if it's 1and1 continuing to tinker with the server problem.
    In our organization we have Good Messaging, BES and ActiveSync available to our Associates. I have seen no issues with Windows based devices utilizing ActiveSync (OMA) only the Palm based devices running Versamail regarding the "eas account: please press the sync button" message. I believe this to be an issue with the Versamail app itself. Not one Windows device in our environment displays this type of behavior. Hopefully Palm will release something that works as the organization has over 80 devices in which I was considering the Versamail app but will ditch the devices and supply Windows Mobile based devices (which actually work properly). It's unacceptable to press a button for sync capabilities when the backend has the capability to push. Palm should have realized this before releasing the app and touting it has push capabilities as it apparently does not.
    Last edited by chrisb009; 09/14/2007 at 09:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb009 View Post
    In our organization we have Good Messaging, BES and ActiveSync available to our Associates. I have seen no issues with Windows based devices utilizing ActiveSync (OMA) only the Palm based devices running Versamail regarding the "eas account: please press the sync button" message. I believe this to be an issue with the Versamail app itself. Not one Windows device in our environment displays this type of behavior. Hopefully Palm will release something that works as the organization has over 80 devices in which I was considering the Versamail app but will ditch the devices and supply Windows Mobile based devices (which actually work properly). It's unacceptable to press a button for sync capabilities when the backend has the capability to push. Palm should have realized this before releasing the app and touting it has push capabilities as it apparently does not.
    The impression I get is that the "please press the sync button..." message occurs when a background sync fails. That was really dumb on Palm's part, as it only confuses users.

Maybe your organization has the same problem as 1and1?? As I mentioned earlier, I've been testing my Treo by syncing it with a different provider (mail2web) and it's been flawless for days. Both real time pushand scheduled poll every 15 minutes have worked fine. It honestly has yet to have a failed sync.
    This is interesting...that MS devices work flawlessly with no tweaking when Palm's fails on our setup (and it seems other enterprise setupís as well) but functions w/web2mail. Makes me wonder if the firewall/exchange does need some tweaking per the KB?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    This is interesting...that MS devices work flawlessly with no tweaking when Palm's fails on our setup (and it seems other enterprise setupís as well) but functions w/web2mail. Makes me wonder if the firewall/exchange does need some tweaking per the KB?
    Hmmm, yeah that is curious. As I alluded to in an earlier post, there's probably enough people using 1and1 around here that if this was a problem for all mobile devices there would probably be more noise on this topic rather than just in this thread.

What KB tweaking are you referring to?
    Look at the section entitled "Deployment Considerations for Direct Push" item #3.

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...03/424028.aspx

Also check this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=905013

If anyone is willing to test this.....please post your outcome.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Look at the section entitled "Deployment Considerations for Direct Push" item #3.

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...03/424028.aspx

Also check this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=905013

If anyone is willing to test this.....please post your outcome.
    Chris, are you (or your users) getting an error message during manual syncing that indicates that the "...server did not recognize username and password..."?? That seems to be the crux of the issue for those of us using 1and1. And that happens whether we're using direct push or just a scheduled poll.

I just want to make sure we're talking about the same problem here. Those articles both seem to be dealing primarily with direct push and the heartbeat settings. (which is direct-push specific)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast