Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No...no errors....just the message "eas account: please press the sync button" when "sync as items arrive" is selected.
  2.    #22  
    Its been generally better the last week or so, although today I had to do a few manual syncs. It usually takes a couple of trys...on the first try I usually get the username/password error.

I am also get errors on sending emails as wells....rarely goes through on the first try.

Anyone else?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    So after 5 days of testing mail2web using direct push and scheduled poll, it works perfectly. Not that that's any breaking news, but I just wanted to validate that the problems are confined to 1and1.

Today I switched back to using 1and1, and the same old errors messages are back. At least 50% of my syncs fail. I think I'll call them again today and just keep annoying them until they get it fixed.
  4.    #24  
    Back to terrible today!
    I've been having the exact same problem with 1and1. I used their service for 6 or 8 months with no problems, loved it. Apparently when they moved to Exchange '07 the whole thing crapped out. Now it doesn't work 90% of the time.
    So I just created a new mail2web account. Theirs still runs on Exchange '03, so as expected I'm now getting the same service that I used to get with 1and1, which is great. And mail2web is actually cheaper for my needs. So looks like 1and1 lost another customer. Not really their fault though. I blame the crappy Exchange '07 upgrade.
    Try using the IP address instead of the host name and/or email their support for an IP address. Normally if I think something might be beyond the capabilities of first level support I just email making it easier for someone to just pass that email along instead of playing the phone game (where one person tells another who tells another, and by the end the message is something else entirely). This will probably throw an error if you have the 'require SSL' box ticked so you will probably have to un-tick that box. First put the url in a browser with https and see if it takes you to an https site or adds the 's' If it does then your client (mobile) does not have to demand ssl encryption if that is the only way the server will respond and for a company of that size they should have no shortage of IP addresses so they will only be using any given IP address for either secure traffic or non secure traffic (like their homepage) and not both.
    Mail2web is really nice for the free service and I think its only 11.95 for the paid push service with your own domain I believe. I was actually going to pay them for the service but then thought about trying to make my own exchange server. Took me a week to get it working but I never get that sync message and my stuff works pretty well on my wifes 700p and my 755p.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Yeah, mail2web is great except that you need to pay the full $12/month in order to get Outlook connectivity. That's the real kicker.
    I may have found a fix for this, or 1and1 is just acting better tonight.

I deleted by Exchange ActiveSync profile from VersaMail, and then when I set it up, I put exchange\exxxxxxxxxxx as my username, rather than just exxxxxxxxxx - which is what had been there. I changed the username using the Palm ActiveSync VersaMail setup - rather than on the Treo. It has a "check settings" option that failed with just the username, and worked with the combined domain\username.

After a few long connections timed out while trying to resync the entire profile (calendar, contacts, and email), it finally worked error free, and has not had an error now for more than an hour. I had been receiving errors about 80-90% of the time I tried to connect.

I hope this is a permanent fix, and hope it helps someone else out.
  10.    #30  
    I added exchange\exxxxxxxxxx and everything seems to working fine now.....thanks draconis
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Yeah, that definitely made a difference. Up until noon yesterday I was having tons of sync problems, then I added the exchange/ to the user name and I haven't had a "server did not recognize your username/password" error since. Now, I've had a few syncs that took an unusually long time and a couple of cases where it didn't perform a sync when I thought it should have, but overall it's working considerably better. Hopefully 1and1 will eventually iron out whatever the underlying problem is and things will be perfect, but for now I can definitely live with this solution.

Nice work draconis!
    My theory (and it's purely a theory, with no information from 1and1 to support it) is that the Exchange 2007 servers need the exchange\ in front, and the old Exchange 2003 didn't.

I'm thinking that they upgraded their servers one by one, and that the palm address would randomly go to one of the servers in the list. If we connected to 2003 it worked, and when we connected to 2007 it didn't.

That would explain why the problem started out slow and got worse as the weeks progressed. So, I'm thinking exchange\ is a permanent problem - since it's worked for me since I posted.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoDraconis View Post
    My theory (and it's purely a theory, with no information from 1and1 to support it) is that the Exchange 2007 servers need the exchange\ in front, and the old Exchange 2003 didn't.

I'm thinking that they upgraded their servers one by one, and that the palm address would randomly go to one of the servers in the list. If we connected to 2003 it worked, and when we connected to 2007 it didn't.

That would explain why the problem started out slow and got worse as the weeks progressed. So, I'm thinking exchange\ is a permanent problem - since it's worked for me since I posted.
    Could be. The story I got from 1and1's level 2 techs is that they installed a new "Frontend" a little over a month ago which was months after they switched to Exchange 2007. In terms of timing, it seems like things really started going bad at the point in which they put this new frontend in place. Since they didn't tell me specifically what they meant by frontend, I would guess it might be an authentication layer of some kind that sits in between exchange and the firewall - this could explain the "server did not recognize username/password" errors. However, that's a wild guess.

A good confirmation for you solution would be if any other Treo users are connecting to another hosting provider using Exchange 2007. I know 4smartphone.net just did the switch....
    Ok, I take it back. Mail2Web has worked flawlessly until today. Starting today, basically EAS doesn't work at all. I have to manually sync everytime to get any new mail. About a minute after I manually sync, I get the "EAS error: push sync" message. When I went to the mail2web site, I noticed that they had changed the plan from 1.99 a month to 4.95 a month for the personal exchange plan. I think they must have made some changes that broke activesync. So I went back to 1and1 with the fix just described. Will let you know how it works out.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsy98101 View Post
    Ok, I take it back. Mail2Web has worked flawlessly until today. Starting today, basically EAS doesn't work at all. I have to manually sync everytime to get any new mail. About a minute after I manually sync, I get the "EAS error: push sync" message. When I went to the mail2web site, I noticed that they had changed the plan from 1.99 a month to 4.95 a month for the personal exchange plan. I think they must have made some changes that broke activesync. So I went back to 1and1 with the fix just described. Will let you know how it works out.
    That sucks that they raised their price. I was paying $5/month at 4smartphone.net, but they raised their price to about $12/month. Ridiculous. 1and1 is starting to look like a good deal....
    Thank you Treo Draconis putting exchange\ in front fixed the problem.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    My experience is that this only affects and possibly fixes this for those who use Exchange Server 2007.

(Dang it!)

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    All I can say is I use 1and1.com and all of my problems went away. I sent notice to 1and1.com, but they ignored me.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    What exactly is 1and1.com? It seems a lot of our members use it.

Thanks!!

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    www.1and1.com offers a remote exchange server.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast