Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm has 2 versions...one BT the other with a cradle and built in GPS receiver. Which is better? Does the handsfree on the cradle work well? is to too big and bulky to put in a brief case?

on the BT version does the receiver connect reliably? What happens when call comes in? can you use a wired headset to answer the call?

Thanks in advanced for answers
    IMHO get a freestanding GPS from Garmin w/ built in Bluetooth. I did and prefer it to having it only on my treo.
    It connects reliably. In my case, if I use the USA/Canada map, it takes forever to connect and it so so slow that is alomst useless. Any other map works fine. However, routing on TT is not the greatest (loves U turns and parallel roads to highways). The POI is not very accurate either. At the end, one normally carries the power cable, the GPS, and the car mount. Having to carry a freestanding GPS is not much of a difference, while having better GPS functionality.

If I was to do it again, if it had to be a Treo solution, it would not be TT (Palm bundle uses TomTom). If it didn't, a stand alone GPS may be worth investigating.
    Through Work I use telenav with my blackberry 7520. Its super hand to have in my phone since I can carry it anywhere I go since I travel all over the USA for work. Only downside is that it CHEWS the living hell out of my battery. Also same goes with the Push/email from my BB system. If the Treo was as stable as my blackberry I'd say go for it. Grab telenav or whatever for your Treo. But since its all buggy and wacky as heck I'd say stick w/ a standalone one. You'll haev WAY less headaches and in that critical time it'll come through for you.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    I have been using tom tom for a few years now on my treo 650 and 700p.

tom tom 2004--tom tom 5 and now tom tom 6. each release is better and better. POI and road nav is very very good in tom tom 6.

I use tom tom 6, & & proclip device holder and a vehicle specific mount for both my F150 and my wifes fusion. We both use parrot integrated handsfree/bluetooth solutions in our vehicles (older ck3300 gps in mine and the newer 3400gps in the wifes)

I don't think there is a better integrated solution for handsfree/GPS nav/voice command than this combo for a smartphone.

it also supports handsfree and bt nav at the same time.....

if I had to do it all over I would do it exactly the same....
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    I have it on my 700p with a bluetooth GPS receiver and it is really, really good, IMHO. It is very accurate and responsive. I've never had it lose the bluetooth connection. If I get a call, it lets me switch to the call, but I don't use a BT headset, so can't comment on that aspect. I got an Arkon vent mount for free with the BT receiver, and it does the job reasonably well. It's nice to be able to take it with me to NYC or other big cities and use it to walk down the street.
    Coming atcha from Phil a del phi a

Nokia 6160 --> Sony Ericsson T610 --> Treo 700p
    I had Tom Tom on my phone for about 3 years, I love it. especially now where they finally realize no one in California refers to exits by numbers, most Cali's don't know exits have numbers, and many exits are not even marked.

My biggest love for it was in Europe two and a half years ago. Eight week trip in which I picked up my new 330CI and drove it around. It saved 1000 fights and a lot of misery. It wasn't perfect as Europe is often changing their round abouts, but it definitely was worth it. Prior I had a free standing Magellan.

*I even enjoyed the farm road in which the whole car was surrounded by cows.

i use Bluetooth version
    I've had a free standing TomTom for years and loved it. Even though it has a battery, I wanted more portability when they got smaller. I now have TomTom 6 on my Treo and love it.
    • If I'm in the car with someone and they get lost, I pull out my Treo, with a little match book size bluetooth GPS receiver, and get us to the right place.
    • I never have to pack it when I'm traveling, because my phone is always with me.
    • It will give you directions for a walking or bike route.
    • It gives you estimated time of arrival (ETA) or you can advise it of your due time and it will let you know if you're on course
    • It provides points of interest on route, in a particular city, or near your current location. Very helpful for ATM machines, restaurants and gas stations when you're out of town. I also found it useful when I co-worker forgot to pack dress shoes and we had a presentation the next morning.

Here's a little trick I've learned for uncharted streets or new addresses. TomTom will get you to sites, by GPS coordinates. You can use GPG visualizer to get the coordinates and save it as a favorite.
    Believe it or not TomTom was horrible in my area, whereas Garmin is accurate. I think they use different mapping companies, but I am not sure. I wanted TomTom for my treo, but I thought if my wife needs it, then what is she to do?
    So we got a free standing GPS. If its for you, then maybe a large battery and the software on the treo is the way to go.
    large battery?

I use my 12v charger and set my treo in the pro-clip device holder when we are driving in the car and navigating which is a lot of the time we are driving.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    At the risk of interjecting myself into another thread - is there a place that you guys consider "reliable" for reviews of Freestanding units?

My husband needs one in his new job - and a friend has a Nuvi, and it worked "ok" around here, but some of the back/major roads weren't on there. They were on my Honda Ody Nav.

I have no clue how to figure out which one to get him - i may even think about the Gander Mountain rental program.

Thanks!! And no, i haven't searched on this yet - it just came up yesterday afternoon
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Original post from TraecyS/FL:
    At the risk of interjecting myself into another thread - is there a place that you guys consider "reliable" for reviews of Freestanding units?

My husband needs one in his new job - and a friend has a Nuvi, and it worked "ok" around here, but some of the back/major roads weren't on there. They were on my Honda Ody Nav.

I have no clue how to figure out which one to get him - i may even think about the Gander Mountain rental program.

Thanks!! And no, i haven't searched on this yet - it just came up yesterday afternoon
    There's a quite a few sites that are dedicated to GPS devices and comparisons. However most statements will based on whichever device the person uses. I like TomTom, because it's user friendly. My husband uses Magellan which to me is a very complicated piece of equipment. Now that I've used the TomTom for a few years, I can probably use his Magellan, but when I was a newbie, it was frustrating and I had to carry the manual.
    Here's three site, but the one I've heard the post about is GPS passion:
    GPS information
    GPSPasSion
    GPS Review
    Hope it helps. Good luck.
    Thanks!

I think the biggest "issue" for him will be having the most up-to-date maps. He will be working in a lot of areas that are "new". UGH. HOpefully i can get him close - we've only lived here for 3 years, and this is the first job he's had that involves driving the roads around here. Everything else - Turnpike to exit such and such and it's right there.

I appreciate it really - I figure when he admits he needs it - it's serious. You know, how often does a man admit they can't find their way????
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    www.gpsreview.com was great in helping me get info regarding my garmin unit.
  15.    #15  
    wow, great info. this is the configuration i was thinking about. I am glad to know that is works...

What BT reciever do you use?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by car_designer View Post
    I have been using tom tom for a few years now on my treo 650 and 700p.

tom tom 2004--tom tom 5 and now tom tom 6. each release is better and better. POI and road nav is very very good in tom tom 6.

I use tom tom 6, & & proclip device holder and a vehicle specific mount for both my F150 and my wifes fusion. We both use parrot integrated handsfree/bluetooth solutions in our vehicles (older ck3300 gps in mine and the newer 3400gps in the wifes)

I don't think there is a better integrated solution for handsfree/GPS nav/voice command than this combo for a smartphone.

it also supports handsfree and bt nav at the same time.....

if I had to do it all over I would do it exactly the same....
    Originally posted by bling300c :
    wow, great info. this is the configuration i was thinking about. I am glad to know that is works...

What BT reciever do you use?
    Ok, I know your question was for Ed. But I use the GlobalSat BT GPS receiver(BT-338).
    I use a parrot ck-3300gps in my f-150 and a newer parrot 3400gps in the wifes fusion. both are BT gps and integrated handsfree voice command devices.
    car_designer
    Never get a cradle with a built in GPS receiver. If/when you switch devices, your GPS cradle will be useless. There were lots of people who bought Seidio GPS cradles for their 650's that didn't work with the 700p.

I use TomTom 6 with a Holux M-1000. It's usually pretty accurate and fast, and overall I'm pretty glad I got it. I prefer this solution over a stand alone device as it's one less device I have to manage, it's more portable, and less likely to get stolen than a stand alone unit. Also, as someone who doesn't use GPS often, I think a BT GPS receiver + software is a much better value. Just be sure to get a mount, and a car charger if you plan to navigate for a long time. I find that Tomtom uses about 10% of my battery after about an hour of navigating. I'm sure it's mostly from the LCD screen being on all the time.
    I use TomTom 6 with a i.Trek GPS reciever with the sirfIII reciever and its very very accurate and works very good.
  20.    #20  
    thanks all. very useful.

Ed