Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Really? That is odd, I have a Seido GPS cradle that I used on my 650 and it works fine on my 700. It works well for me since I also use a BT headset and can take a call on it while using TT.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Never get a cradle with a built in GPS receiver. If/when you switch devices, your GPS cradle will be useless. There were lots of people who bought Seidio GPS cradles for their 650's that didn't work with the 700p.

I use TomTom 6 with a Holux M-1000. It's usually pretty accurate and fast, and overall I'm pretty glad I got it. I prefer this solution over a stand alone device as it's one less device I have to manage, it's more portable, and less likely to get stolen than a stand alone unit. Also, as someone who doesn't use GPS often, I think a BT GPS receiver + software is a much better value. Just be sure to get a mount, and a car charger if you plan to navigate for a long time. I find that Tomtom uses about 10% of my battery after about an hour of navigating. I'm sure it's mostly from the LCD screen being on all the time.
    For the record, the GPS receiver I use with my Treo is also the GlobalSat BT GPS receiver(BT-338). Very small, very good battery life, very affordable.
    Coming atcha from Phil a del phi a

Nokia 6160 --> Sony Ericsson T610 --> Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I am very happy with my TomTom 6 with the Palm GPS brick made by hollux<sic?>. Since 1.10MR update however I do occasionally have an issue where things seem to lock up and I have to turn off the GPS brick and turn it back on. Also it seems to take longer to get a valid GPS signal lately, but I think the GPS brick might be going south?

The only negative is that you can get virtually no support from Palm on this product (even if you buy it directly from them). All support comes from TomTom (who are very good BTW, as long as the issue does not involve a software bug/feature). You have to beat Palm over the head to support anything dealing with the TomTom navigator software and hardware. Every time I call about GBS receiver brick issues I get the run around. For that I recommend a different source.
    I always use forums to get help (with just about any tech thing i have a problem with). It's amazing how many of you call sprint, palm, etc. I couldn't imagine it..that must be he*&*^
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I always use forums to get help (with just about any tech thing i have a problem with). It's amazing how many of you call sprint, palm, etc. I couldn't imagine it..that must be he*&*^
    Right there with you - calling these days is the LAST thing i do. I try about anywhere than having to deal with the phone crap!
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    The phone support is mostly outsourced now-a-days to people sitting in front of a computer and do web lookups for you anyways. Waste of time to call them as they are likely less familiar with the product than you.

The big whigs at the Companies see outsourcing as an opportunity to save money, when in reality the could have saved that money by axing the tech support altogether. LOL.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I never call tech support unless I have to, like not able to resolve my issue online. I am famous for running into bugs/features that no one else encounters ;-). Anyhow my wonderful experience with Palm/TomTom/Holux was trying to get a warranty replacement for my Holux manufactured Palm GPS receiver. I first called TomTom, they said call Palm, Palm told me I had to call Holux, Holux asked me "What color is your GPS receiver?" I said "Silver, says Palm on it" they told me I had to call Palm back as they don't support it directly (even-though their name number and website is on the unit). I get the same Palm support person, they are shocked that I was calling back and that Holux referred me back to Palm. They give me the run around and speak to "someone", felt like I was at a car dealership. They really did not want to help me and tried to get me off the phone ASAP. Told me to try a few things and then my GPS brick started charging again and all is well so I have not called back, discovered that there are heat sensors in these things that turn off the charging function in high temperatures, hello these things are used in cars that get hot. I will have to eventually call back though, because I suspect that this puppy is going south fast.
    I have ordered the TT6 Smartphone Edition for Treo 700P. I have 2 more weeks before I can get my hands on it for testing. If anyone can give the unit a thorough testing it's me. My 2001 Peterbilt hit the million mile mark yesterday. I travel 48 states + Canada. I found the post by cglaguna interesting since I spend half of my vaction time in Europe. Where would one find maps of Europe? Also does anyone know if they have maps of South America? I'm supposed to go to Quito, Ecuador next summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechieTrkr View Post
    I have ordered the TT6 Smartphone Edition for Treo 700P. I have 2 more weeks before I can get my hands on it for testing. If anyone can give the unit a thorough testing it's me. My 2001 Peterbilt hit the million mile mark yesterday. I travel 48 states + Canada. I found the post by cglaguna interesting since I spend half of my vaction time in Europe. Where would one find maps of Europe? Also does anyone know if they have maps of South America? I'm supposed to go to Quito, Ecuador next summer.
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...tegory=2&Lid=1

PS. I really hate Alabama football. Nick Saban has sent my dolphins back a few years.
    For the most accurate, reliable, most updated and hassle free maps and navigation, go with Telenav mobile; as long as you don't mind to pay $9.99/month

I tried it and it works like a charm. It connects extremely quickly to the BT gps receiver and gets maps almost instantly. Oh, well, you need to have a data connection to be able to use it.

I tend to prefer telenav solution because any portable navigation system out there will suffer a map outdate! Hence requiring you to shed more money to buy map updates (IF the provider thought of putting them together...)

It's not quite easy to find a compromise since stand-alone solutions can cost as cheap as $200 nowadays.

I have TT6 and it takes for-ever to connect to the BT gps receiver, specially after the MR (I use the 700p with Sprint). Even after their Dec 06 map update, it's still not accurate and doesn't have a lot of roads/addresses.
    Once, I had to go for Telenav on their free trial for a road trip because TT6 could not find my destination.
    tomtom requires frequent resets.and aux. question
    It seems that with my Treo car kit, that the gps does not seek satellite when I power up my car. I have learned that it is better to have the treo docked and turned on before starting the car, but it seems that i still need to reset the treo to get the gps to seek.
    I have a Toyota Prius. it has a plug for an auxilary device. using the treo plug in the audio out from the treo car kit, I can listen with headphones. When i try to plug into aux. sound system, I hear a click, but no sound. any ideas?
    Bob
    If you want an "all-in-one" product, I have succesfully used the TomTom Navigator 6 here in the Los Angeles/Southern California area since the start of the year. I used it on my 700P and other then maybe being 50 to 100 yards off on occasion, it was great! Too bad it got ripped off when my car was broken into a few weeks back!

I am now contemplating whether or not to change to a freestanding unit. The one thing I know that worked awesome was the fact that I could pull up an address, through the Navigator application, of my contact/customer and it worked beautifully. Sometimes you do have to "mannually" enter an address for some reason, but that is done easily by literally answering yes or no the the information presented.

The weird thing was traffic. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. That was a TomTom defect I found out and they emailed me and via "the airwaves" somehow, got me a patch.

The only piece of advice I would give is to know that if you get a call the navigation screen goes away and you have to restart the program after the call. Sure, the neatest thing is that it goes back to tracking your vehicle and continues on the route, but if your conversation continues on while you pass an important turn, you are screwed unless you finish the call! LOL. Fortunatly I know my way around and I only use the thing when I have a new address or I am coming from a different area that normal.

All-in-all, you really cannot go wrong with this combination, especially if you want an "all-in-one" device. Oh, the Bluetooth on the GPS only took a long time to connect every morning when I started, or when I got out from lunch. That was a VERY short time, probably no more then two minutes or so. I hope this helps.

Until the next time, See Ya! Jerrold.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I have been using TomTom on my 700p for about 18 months. I started with V5, and am now on V6. I use a bluetooth GPS, but not the one that comes with TomTom (I owned CoPilot on a PocketPC before I switched to the Treo and TomTom).

Overall, I am very happy with the combination. If you don't mind carrying two devices, a standalone GPS would be a slightly better solution ... but I DO mind carrying two devices.

Earlier in this thread, someone pointed out that it takes a long time to connect and find satellites. I used to have this problem ... until I discovered that if I change my home location to a point in the city where I am in, TomTom seems to obtain a lock on the satellites much faster.

Someone else reported that the POIs are inaccurate. I did a bunch of experimentation and investigation, and have come to the conclusion that the issue is not with the POIs themselves (they contain accurate information) but in how TomTom does its geolocation - translating a street address into an actual location. As often as not, I find that TomTom will get me to the right street, but the house address may sometimes be off by a few blocks (this is not just an issue with POIs, it also happens when you enter an actual address). TomTom uses a company called Tele Atlas for this, and I've discovered that they don't do a great job of rendering a house address into a physical location. I discovered this by doing some mapquest-like searches on their web site, and discovered that for any location where my TomTom was off, their site was off as well in the exact same way. TomTom will show you the correct cross streets, etc as you pass them - so it clearly knows where you are - but it is not translating the street numbers accurately. I've learned to live with this ... and the maps in V6 seem to do a better job. My previous GPS, Pocket CoPilot, did a much better job with this ... but TomTom has a better user interface.

Regarding incoming calls: the good news is, TomTom will let you know when a call comes in, and your wired headset should work fine. The bad news is, if you answer the call, the TomTom program stops and you have to re-start it once you finish your call. I am not certain, but I suspect this is a PalmOS issue more than a TomTom issue.
    I have TT6 for my Treo 700p and a stand alone TomTom. If I didn't already have a stand alone, I wouldn't purchase one. Being able to navigate to all addresses within my Treo is great. The point of interest and addresses work for me. I've discovered that if I go into bluetooth and connect to GPS, prior to going into TT6 icon, it's quicker for connection. I wish I had discovered that before I went to Europe. I recommend the TT6 for your 700p. Nothing is perfect, but I think you'll be pleased.
    I recently purchase the TomTom 6 for my Treo 650 and wish the POI options were better. With the stand alone Garmin device I got for my wife, I can type in the name of the POI and the unit tells me where the nearest one is and continues to load the next one down the list until I choose one. With my TomTom 6 this option does not seem to work. I was in Santa Anna, CA and could not find an Office Depot. The system just does not let you search by POI from what I could tell. Or maybe there just wasn't one close enough to me.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the system, just the POI option is driving me nuts. I have decided to load up the TomTom website with my POI's in hope that they will improve this feature to work like my Garmin device.

If someone know a better way, please let me know.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Treo 650
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12