Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Hello,

has anyone switched from a Mogul to 755p?
    I am interested in hearing reasons why.
    I just got the Mogul and am thinking of returning it because of the palm os.

Would this be a mistake?

Thanks

Frank
    Yes, it is a mistake. I am trying to switch to a Mogul. Sprint wants me to fork out 600 bucks. If I had that kind of money, a phone would be the last thing on my list. If u have a Mogul, be happy, and get over it. Treo's suck, period. No matter what sh/t anyone tells u. staywith what u got, and be happy about it.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    Yes, it is a mistake. I am trying to switch to a Mogul. Sprint wants me to fork out 600 bucks. If I had that kind of money, a phone would be the last thing on my list. If u have a Mogul, be happy, and get over it. Treo's suck, period. No matter what sh/t anyone tells u. staywith what u got, and be happy about it.
    I'll disagree. I had the XV6700 and decided to go back to Palm. My friend has the 8525 with Cingular (which is simialr to the Mogul). Also, my dad has a Mogul. I came to the realization that although a very powerful device, it just doesn't make for a good phone. Here is some points for consideration of both:

Pro Mogul:
    -Windows Mobile has more software and more support
    -Today Screen presents all the info you want on the main screen
    -True multitasking
    -Slightly faster hardware
    -GPS receiver inside
    -Better MS Office support
    -Bigger keyboard
    -IE is probably a little better than Blazer
    -ActiveSync
    -320x240 screen is more ideal for watching widescreen movies

Minus Mogul:
    -Windows Mobile is slow. The OS was designed more inline with a PC in mind than a phone. Despite faster hardware, it takes a while to get things done.
    -You have to slide the keyboard out to get to the keyboard. Sliding it out requires a two second pause to wait for the screen to rotate.
    -I can type faster than the device can keep up with (that's really sorry)
    -Dialing numbers via touchscreen is a pain in the ***
    -No threaded text messaging
    -Requires the stylus and/or slideout keyboard to do basic things, look up things, text message, dial a phone number, browse the web
    -Address book searching only by last name
    -Hardware is not as polished or as finished as the Treo
    -Bigger and heavier
    -More expensive than 755p
    -Windows Mobile likes to run out of memory quickly and doesn't close applications easily enough
    -Copy/Paste and selecting multiple files is much better on WM
    -ActiveSync doesn't backup programs or settings files, meaning replacing your phone is a big ordeal (there is software for this but it's expensive)

Pro 755p:
    -One hand operation for just about everything
    -No delays waiting for slideout keyboard, etc.
    -true dialpad
    -Better phone application
    -Best contact searching, type by first name, last name, business name, phone number, etc.
    -Threaded text messaging
    -Solid hardware (feels good in the hand, looks nice, etc.)
    -320x320 screen is sharper than Mogul
    -755p comes with a nice IM client
    -Versamail does a "good-enough" job replacing Activesync.
    -Easier/Faster to add a new contact or new appointment
    -Better speakerphone
    -PocketTunes is better in my opinion than WMP, although I'd respect if anyone disagreed. For how I store/sort my music, I prefer PT.
    -Slight cheaper than Mogul
    -Better device for taking notes, sending SMS, adding a contact, etc. WHILE on a phone call.
    -Hotsync backs up pretty much everything, meaning replacing your phone is really easy.

Cons 755p:
    -Palm software not as easy to come by and not as much of it
    -Treo seems like a step back in technology compared to Mogul, although you'll realize you can almost as much a lot faster in the Treo; however, some may think of it as a step back.
    -VersaMail has its flaws, but there are great apps to replace it
    -Can only multitask certain things like PT, SMS, etc.
    -Blazer isn't quite as good as IE
    -File system isn't as easy to understand as WM
    -Copy/Paste should be improved as should selecting multiple files.

Basically, in a nutshell I preferred the design of the Treo and the ability to easily and VERY quickly do simple things like make a phone call, add a contact or appointment, send a txt message, etc.

Here's an estimate of the speed difference:
    1a. Dialing a phone number on WM = ~7 seconds
    1b. Dialing a phone number on Palm = ~4 seconds

2a. Finding and dialing a contact on WM = ~6 seconds
    2b. Finding and dialing a contact on Palm = ~3 seconds

3a. Sending a one word text message on WM = ~10 seconds
    3b. Sending a one word text message on Palm = ~3 seconds

4a. Adding a contact or appointment in WM = ~10-20 seconds
    4b. Adding a contact of appointment in Palm = ~5-10 seconds

These are just estimates, but it makes a big difference. I used to get really frustrated at how long it would take to make a phone call and sometimes it would lag making it even more frustrating.

In summary, the Mogul is a more powerful PDA, but the Palm is a MUCH better phone and more minimalist PDA that is faster and easier to use. My friend with the 8525 has AT&T and is now considering going to a Treo 680 (lack of 3g is his only concern). He loves my new 755p and agrees it's just so quick and nice to do basic things. He's probably going to give up 3g just because he's so frustrated with his 8525.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
    I'll disagree. I had the XV6700 and decided to go back to Palm. My friend has the 8525 with Cingular (which is simialr to the Mogul). Also, my dad has a Mogul. I came to the realization that although a very powerful device, it just doesn't make for a good phone. Here is some points for consideration of both:

Pro Mogul:
    -Windows Mobile has more software and more support
    -Today Screen presents all the info you want on the main screen
    -True multitasking
    -Slightly faster hardware
    -GPS receiver inside
    -Better MS Office support
    -Bigger keyboard
    -IE is probably a little better than Blazer
    -ActiveSync
    -320x240 screen is more ideal for watching widescreen movies

Minus Mogul:
    -Windows Mobile is slow. The OS was designed more inline with a PC in mind than a phone. Despite faster hardware, it takes a while to get things done.
    -You have to slide the keyboard out to get to the keyboard. Sliding it out requires a two second pause to wait for the screen to rotate.
    -I can type faster than the device can keep up with (that's really sorry)
    -Dialing numbers via touchscreen is a pain in the ***
    -No threaded text messaging
    -Requires the stylus and/or slideout keyboard to do basic things, look up things, text message, dial a phone number, browse the web
    -Address book searching only by last name
    -Hardware is not as polished or as finished as the Treo
    -Bigger and heavier
    -More expensive than 755p
    -Windows Mobile likes to run out of memory quickly and doesn't close applications easily enough
    -Copy/Paste and selecting multiple files is much better on WM
    -ActiveSync doesn't backup programs or settings files, meaning replacing your phone is a big ordeal (there is software for this but it's expensive)

Pro 755p:
    -One hand operation for just about everything
    -No delays waiting for slideout keyboard, etc.
    -true dialpad
    -Better phone application
    -Best contact searching, type by first name, last name, business name, phone number, etc.
    -Threaded text messaging
    -Solid hardware (feels good in the hand, looks nice, etc.)
    -320x320 screen is sharper than Mogul
    -755p comes with a nice IM client
    -Versamail does a "good-enough" job replacing Activesync.
    -Easier/Faster to add a new contact or new appointment
    -Better speakerphone
    -PocketTunes is better in my opinion than WMP, although I'd respect if anyone disagreed. For how I store/sort my music, I prefer PT.
    -Slight cheaper than Mogul
    -Better device for taking notes, sending SMS, adding a contact, etc. WHILE on a phone call.
    -Hotsync backs up pretty much everything, meaning replacing your phone is really easy.

Cons 755p:
    -Palm software not as easy to come by and not as much of it
    -Treo seems like a step back in technology compared to Mogul, although you'll realize you can almost as much a lot faster in the Treo; however, some may think of it as a step back.
    -VersaMail has its flaws, but there are great apps to replace it
    -Can only multitask certain things like PT, SMS, etc.
    -Blazer isn't quite as good as IE
    -File system isn't as easy to understand as WM
    -Copy/Paste should be improved as should selecting multiple files.

Basically, in a nutshell I preferred the design of the Treo and the ability to easily and VERY quickly do simple things like make a phone call, add a contact or appointment, send a txt message, etc.

Here's an estimate of the speed difference:
    1a. Dialing a phone number on WM = ~7 seconds
    1b. Dialing a phone number on Palm = ~4 seconds

2a. Finding and dialing a contact on WM = ~6 seconds
    2b. Finding and dialing a contact on Palm = ~3 seconds

3a. Sending a one word text message on WM = ~10 seconds
    3b. Sending a one word text message on Palm = ~3 seconds

4a. Adding a contact or appointment in WM = ~10-20 seconds
    4b. Adding a contact of appointment in Palm = ~5-10 seconds

These are just estimates, but it makes a big difference. I used to get really frustrated at how long it would take to make a phone call and sometimes it would lag making it even more frustrating.

In summary, the Mogul is a more powerful PDA, but the Palm is a MUCH better phone and more minimalist PDA that is faster and easier to use. My friend with the 8525 has AT&T and is now considering going to a Treo 680 (lack of 3g is his only concern). He loves my new 755p and agrees it's just so quick and nice to do basic things. He's probably going to give up 3g just because he's so frustrated with his 8525.
    I totally agree with the above. I switched from the Mogul.
    Yup, I went from Mogul to 755p and couldn't be happier and for a lot of the same reasons mentioned above.

Better phone intigration
    More intuitive interface design
    Just plain faster to get things done on it.
    I posted this here originally: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Sounds like you had good success with the Mogul - why do you no longer have it?
    Tons of issues. The Mogul is a complete mess as a phone, in my experience.

- I didn't like the keyboard at all, and you can't use it one handed no matter what you do.
    - Call quality was by far the worst I've ever had in any phone, ever. People had a very hard time understanding what I said, in any condition (headset, phone, voip, anything)
    - The actual phonecall interface is one of the worst ones I've ever used - there is no on-screen feedbback for anything except the basic call: it will not identify a second caller, it will not indicate if you're on a second call, or in conference, etc. And BTW, you use the same hardware key to switch between all modes, and you never know what mode that is. It's just beyond stupid.
    - Bluetooth headsets sounded way worse than even on my old 650.
    - The ridiculous number of buttons on the device (13) compared ot how useful they actually are.
    - No mute switch like on the Treos. Muting via software didn't really mute everything and I would still get sounds for some alerts (which are also full of bugs)
    - There was also no actual keylock to speak of - the phone would turn itself one whenever it wanted and start doing crazy stuff in my pocket, like repeatedly calling contacts.
    - Battery life is horrendous compared to Treos, and the phone is really stupid when it comes to surviving in a roaming area. The battery won't last more than 6-7 hours in a low signal area, period, and that's turning the screen brightness to 10%, turning off bluetooth and incoming beams. My Treos will last through the day no matter what.
    - Screen is nearly invisible in daylight
    - Low memory make it so you're seeing out of memory errors quite often
    - You have to keep running a bunch of software just to try and make up for all the stupid issues
    - The camera uses a ton of memory for some reason so I'd have to start quitting applications if I wanted to take a photo, which ususally kills the moment.
    - No video drivers make video performance ****-poor for a WM6 device in its class. For example, it will only record video at *one quarter* the resolution of the Treo, and very badly.

That said, WM6 feels like a far superior environment to PalmOS, because it is. Not UI-wise, but definitely on all technical aspects, and going back to PalmOS feels like jumping back a decade.

Other people's experience witht he Mogul hasn't been so negative, but I've also noticed other people will learn to tolerate the craziest things...

--------

Addendum: There are many pros to WM devices, it's jus tthat the Mogul itself is a very stupid device when it comes to being as phone. Treos do a far, far better job of making a WM device work as a phone. I intend to move back to WM when/if Palm comes out with an updated WM device for Sprint.

WM will do pretty much anything you might want - excellent multitasking, excellent stability even under load, great web browsing, excellent video playback and streaming functionality, and just tons and tons of powerful software. But all of that is moot when you have a device like the Mogul that keeps running out of memory and battery power. With the Mogul I had to obsess all day long about the dozens of annoying issues.

Since I moved back to the 755p I completely stopped worrying about my phone because it doesn't have any fatal flaws. It just works, and works well for the most part, with a couple of tradeoffs.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I am leaning more on returning the Mogul for the 755p

1. I kinda was hoping the gps would be better.
    2. For me, its hard to find streaming music on the Mogul.
    3. A good phone should be the first priority.
    4. I'm a mac user

Regards,

Frank
    As of today, 8/31/07 helmi_c released a WM6.0 rom for the older Apache PPC-6700...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7671

I loaded it on to my old school 6700 and I'm LUVIN IT.

--biggest thing that concerns me is the lack of chatteremail, and the dam slide out key.

Palm OS does everything I need, and it does it quickly too... just the WM6.0 is so much more robust imo.

If Palm/Sprint releases a wm6.0 update for the 700wx or create a new wm6.0 treo device, I am ready to jump ship. (I WILL miss chatter though)
    There are a lot of WM or PalmOS fanboys around, but both are great Operating Systems with their own strengths and weaknesses.

I've had both PalmOS and WM Treos and the Mogul, for me, has been the best one yet while I enjoyed each of them. Each person has their own needs so you need to determine what fits your needs best.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Yeah, I switched from the Mogul to the 755p also. I went from a Treo 300 to a 600, to a 650 and then reluctantly upgraded to the Mogul. At first, everything was peaches and cream, until I became settled in with my new device and went to town with it. I'll just say this, as I was returning my device to sprint to trade for the Treo 755p, it was locking up and taking 45 seconds to swap programs, it was saying I was low on memory and needed to reset my device and it would not switch to landscape mode I opened the keyboard. It is a wonderful piece of hardware, but unless they install the Palm OS or Linux on it, HTC won't be seeing my hard earned dollars anytime soon.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    The only thing I like in it so far is the today screen.
    It can be customized to display weather, ect.

I don't think I want to be locked into this for two years.

I was't sure if I should return it as the 755p seems to be getting dated.
    But I only have a few days left in my 30 day trial.

I looked up a sprint store in Syracuse that said they accept returns from purchases through the web.

They told me no. Now I have to call CS and wait for my 755p.

Regards,

Frank
    I went 755p -> Mogul -> 755p

The Mogul is a terrible phone with below average volume and a HORRIBLE microphone that everyone on the other end complains about. Add in the Bluetooth that doesn't work on the Mogul and you have one of the worst pdaphones to be released in years. The Mogul may be a better phone after a LOT of bug fixes are released (which won't happen because HTC doesn't support their phones)
    I had the Mogul and I switched to the 755p. I just like the treo style with the keyboard below the screen, regardless of whether the treo is WM or Palm OS. The Mogul is really nice and uber powerful but sliding out that keyboard all of the time gets old.
    my cliff notes fromusing both:

WM-bling,bling but bloated.UI very pretty but inefficient. phone just another application.

Palm-lean, trim and efficient. quick as a calculator. UI not as pretty but very well thought out. it gets the job done now with no fuss or waiting. phone function works like a phone first.

you pick which is more important to you.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    This has been an informative thread. I recently test drove two Moguls and came to the conclusion that when I do change out my 650, I will get a 755p. The wife will get the 700p, the youngest the 650 and me the 755p.

One-handed operation is important for me and the sliding keyboard to the side killed it completely. My thumbs were hitting multiple keys at the same time.

Ben
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Well, I did it.
    I placed an order today with Sprint for the 755p

The last straw, my Mogul turned the phone function off and I was not getting any calls all day.

Now what are the best apps and case for the 755p?

1. streaming Music
    2. ebook
    3. finance
    4. carrying case.

Thanks

Frank
    1. I have both pTunes and Kinoma.
    2. I have both eReader (paid release) and MobiPocket. I use eReader the most.
    3. Finance - I am a HanDBase user, so I wrote my own applet.
    4. Case - I use a Palm branded horizontal leather case with a Palm branded skin.

Ben
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response.

Do you have any links for the programs and case?

pTunes and Kinoma, which is better for streaming radio?

Regards,

Frank
    I prefer P Tunes for streaming. If you get the upgraded version, you get a list of internet stations, equalizer, and syncing with windows media player. Kinoma is used for streaming video. At least in my case. Although, I do use it for Sprint radio.
    Matty
    If you're switching back to PalmOS just to save a couple of measly seconds when doing things like dialing a number or finding a contact, then you need to reevaluate your situation.

Either way, both OSs have their strengths and weaknesses. It's all up to which you prefer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast