1.    #1  
    Hi, I know there are quite a few threads about 680 battery issues. But I have a specific question about one issue that I don't think has been addressed yet (apologies if it has).

Does your 680 stay topped up when plugged in? Mine doesn't. It reaches full charge, then it seems the charging stops. So if I plug it in at night, it reaches full charge after a while, but is back down to 90% or so in the morning.

I need to know whether this is normal for the 680 or not. My old 600 didn't do this -- if I left it plugged in it would stay at 100%.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Since I got the 1600 Seidio replacement battery, it does stay topped off. With the OEM battery it would not.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Mine stays topped off @100% when plugged into my usb/laptop, BUT as soon as it its disconnected goes to 99%
    No. Mine frequently falls back to 94% or so, but it charges back to 100% rather quickly once I put it back in the cradle.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Mine says 100% when plugged in, 99% when I yank the cable and goes down from there.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    Mine stays topped off @100% when plugged into my usb/laptop, BUT as soon as it its disconnected goes to 99%
    Well, mine reads 100% while plugged in, but as soon as it's unplugged I get a different figure. If I disconnect immediately after charging, the figure is 97% (so I guess there's also a problem with battery calibration). But if I just leave it plugged in, it gradually loses power and doesn't even stay topped up to 97%. Overnight it goes down to around 90%; around the same as if I disconnect immediately after charging.

I used the Palm live support chat thing and the guy told me to send the machine in for repair. But I'm not sure whether that will help much, and I wanted to check whether many other people were experiencing the no-topping-up on charger thing. The battery miscalibration I can live with, but the lack of automatic topping up is annoying.

I'm tempted to try the second Palm battery I got free to see whether it's any better. But then if I have to send the machine off anyway, I've no way of keeping the battery charged, and battery life might suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by joesax View Post

I'm tempted to try the second Palm battery I got free to see whether it's any better. But then if I have to send the machine off anyway, I've no way of keeping the battery charged, and battery life might suffer.
    There's no way leaving it semi-charged the way it is now is going to be better for the battery than giving it a full charge. Either way it will stay unused for the period of time the phone is away.
    The problem that the 680 loses charge after reaching 100% has been widely observed (lots of posts about this a few months back) and I think all 680s suffer from this to varying extents, so there is no gain by sending it back (other than to give palm a message). To summarise all the posts about this, the charger simply stops charging after it hits 100%, so your 680 then proceeds to drain as if it wasnt plugged in. So, if your 680 normally loses about 2% per hour in standby mode, and it hits 100% charge at 3am, then when you take it off the charger at 6am it will be down to about 94%. It is not a battery calibration issue, it is a charging hardware/software problem. Not sure if it was also an issue with the 650, but since they typically drained slower, it may not have been noticed.

You can get around this by briefly unplugging it and then recharging, and remove it from the charger when the green light goes on (should only take 30 minutes or less the second time). Note - it will never come off the charger at 100% because the battery meter rounds down to the nearest whole number. So, as soon as you unplug it, it will be 99.99%, which is translated to 99%. A more sensitive battery meter (such as battery.prc) will show you this.
    DIG is absolutely correct. After reaching a full charge, it slowwwwwwwly discharges, until by the time you check it in the morning it will be 94-95%. A quick "topping off" will bring it back to the 99% level. I don't believe you can do any better than 99%.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks to you all for the very helpful information (and for not shouting at me for asking old questions!)

I won't bother sending my 680 for repair then, as this non-topping off thing is normal. I don't think I'll even bother trying to recalibrate the battery any more, as a difference of 3% is not so bad.

My battery life is actually reasonable. Not as good as my old 600, but still OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    DIG is absolutely correct. ...
    Not "absolutely." More is going on. It seems clear to me that it doesn't just stop charging forever. If it did it would eventually discharge down to 80%, 70%, etc. but it never does even -- especially -- if you leave it on the charger for a day or more. It always hovers at some higher point (for me about 93%). I'm pretty sure that the circuit, in order to avoid overcharging, cuts out at 100% and then restarts at some predetermined level. This is a pretty common design and you'll find it in laptops, etc. And it cycles in that way so sometimes you find it at 99 and others at the lower floor level or close to it. You can call this the TDP if you like.

Moreover, the battery meter circuitry is involved, because for instance just this morning when I picked it up it was 93% and I put it back on the charger (thus interrupting the cycle and restarting it in charge) it popped back up to 100% (99 when I removed it) in literally five minutes. Something fishy there.
    I can live with being 'not absolutely' correct. I have never tested what happens if you leave the 680 on the charger for that long (a day or more), and I wouldnt be surprised if the charging kicks in again because I have read that LiIon battery chargers are designed to do this at least for some devices, as you say.....Im still right though.

Regarding the battery meter circuitry, your observation is a bit fishy. It certainly takes mine more than 5 minutes to top up from 93%. My point is that the drop from 100% immediately off the charger isnt about battery meter calibration. I consider that battery meter calibration means that the meter knows where 0% and 100% is, and works in a fairly linear fashion between 0 and 100. I know my battery meter is well calibrated, but I still have the drop below 99 immediately off the charger, so I dont think that problem is due to a calibration issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    ... I consider that battery meter calibration means that the meter knows where 0% and 100% is, and works in a fairly linear fashion between 0 and 100. ...
    I don't think it is effectively linear; there is something non-linear occurring and I think there may be multiple phenomena going on. I think that when the charging circuit cycles off and on, the battery meter may remember a number that doesn't reflect it's current state so that when you look and see 94%, for instance, that may have been when the charging cycled back on but the meter somehow doesn't track back up, either right away, or at all. All in all, I suspect it might not be a simple matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I think DIG is always absolutely correct, I sometimes pretend to disagree with him but that is just part of my image
    Thanks mate, but you really didnt have to say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I don't think it is effectively linear; there is something non-linear occurring and I think there may be multiple phenomena going on. I think that when the charging circuit cycles off and on, the battery meter may remember a number that doesn't reflect it's current state so that when you look and see 94%, for instance, that may have been when the charging cycled back on but the meter somehow doesn't track back up, either right away, or at all. All in all, I suspect it might not be a simple matter.
    I think mine is linear, I can show you a graph if you like.
    Disregarding the possible errors in the graphed data, have you closely observed the graphed data during these charging cycles?
    I havent scrutinised them as much as this mounting debate may require, but my impression from what I have seen is that it was linear. However, as I cant resist arguing with you, I will test it out next time I charge.
    How does the charge meter work, anyway? Is the battery reporting status to the device? If so, then it could be a flaw in the battery's meter. That would explain why I have no drop with the Seidio replacement battery but do with the OEM battery.