Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    With the Centro's release rapidly approaching in just 6 weeks won't you think that there would be some sort of media campaign? You would think that Palm would be hyping their new product instead of just leaking one picture. See I-Phone campaign

I didn't pay attention to the release of the 680's and 750's. Did they just show up in the stores one day? No hype? We know the phone is geared towards the younger market but that is it. How do they expect anyone to buy one if no one knows about it and why they can't live without it??

This isn't your parents TERO it's way cooler!! It's even better than the I-Phone (This is up to you just marketing here) track homework, sports practices and games, listen to music, IM your friends, e-mail, you tube and my space. Some strategically placed adds during some of the falls teen TV series this fall and they should have it made.

We will see if Palm has a marketing department /company in the next couple of weeks. It's not a secret anymore and you shouldn't want to keep it one!!!
    Palm and Sprint have never been huge on advertising. Maybe with a $99 phone, that'll change, but you won't see a TV ad till it's actually available. No pre-sale hype.

I think after the ad nauseam ad campaign for the iPhone, it seems odd (that jingle makes me want to murder) But I doubt you'll see anything remotely like that for Sprint.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Palm seem to have a build it and they will come attitude towards product releases
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Palm seem to have a build it and they will come attitude towards product releases
    I dunno...have you ever seen a 6700 or 6800 commercial or ad either? I see Treo wall ads in NYC all the time, especially around Penn and the LIRR.

The smartphones (Q and BJ) get ads, but I've yet to see one for the Dash. Almost seems to be arbitrary but I think they decide based on the mass-market appeal e.g. 6800 = niche/super nerd. So I bet we'll see some TV spots for the Centro, but not till release. The iphone was the 1st "available soon" commercial for a phone I've seen.

I really think Palm has to start spending more on ADVERTISING. They should be more visible so the public will have higher awareness...

Majority of Treo owners i know only know half of what their Treos can actually do. I wonder what keeps Palm from advertising more...

Also its nice to point out from a marketing stand point to have a FACE behind Palm... an endorser of some sort... The SideKick had Dwayne Wade and i think that helped a lot with their sales... palm should start to invest on an endorsement deal with a celebrity or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I really think Palm has to start spending more on ADVERTISING. They should be more visible so the public will have higher awareness...

Majority of Treo owners i know only know half of what their Treos can actually do. I wonder what keeps Palm from advertising more...

Also its nice to point out from a marketing stand point to have a FACE behind Palm... an endorser of some sort... The SideKick had Dwayne Wade and i think that helped a lot with their sales... palm should start to invest on an endorsement deal with a celebrity or something.
    While I agree, I bet it just comes down to money. Palm is a tiny company (1,200 people?), compared to Apple, Samsung, Moto, etc. They can't afford to spend millions of dollars on commercials.

I think the idea has always been for the Carriers to advertise the device, which is what you see now: "The new Samsung BJ, only from AT&T", etc, at least for TV. Palm does print and wall advertising, which is much cheaper for them (I saw some 680 ads in Entertainment Weekly and Men's Health, if I remember).

Maybe someone here with ad expertise could throw out numbers, but I bet TV ads are very expensive to run for 1 month.

I think on one hand, Palm should definitely advertise more, but at the same time, the Treo is the most recognized converged device on the market. Every time I watch TV, I see them. People at work carry them. I went to a high school reunion recently and saw several besides my own. The Treo is well established and I'm not sure it really needs advertising.

The Centro, on the other hand, could probably use some advertising.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    They haven't announced it yet for crying out loud. It's Centro not Treo 690.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    I am not expecting Palm to do an I-Phone campaign. In fact the I-phone commercials have become a bit of a joke at my house. The kids know the one and only commercial off by heart. In prime time you still will see at least 4 commercials a night no matter what channel you watch. I think this is a bit much.

It's a "new" product line with a new target group. True Palm is small and probably doesn't have that much of a add budget but you have to do something. I own a small company yet I do some advertising where I get the most bang for my buck. That is what add agencies are for, to do that for you. Palm should also be after Sprint and Verizon to help with this. Sprint and Verizon have the budgets for this.

Didn't I read in one of the post that Palm's management was ex add men? You would think that if that is accurate this part of the business would not be lacking as they would know how important your adds are.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Whatever7 you do have a point. If the Centro is a new product line and not a Treo it shouldn't be the 690. Sorry my error. I believe people were calling the 500 series??

Does that mean Palm has three new up coming units? Centro, 690, 800? Hard to keep thing straight in speculation land.

That being said what is the 690?? But that is is food for thought in the future Treo thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    Whatever7 you do have a point. If the Centro is a new product line and not a Treo it shouldn't be the 690. Sorry my error. I believe people were calling the 500 series??

Does that mean Palm has three new up coming units? Centro, 690, 800? Hard to keep thing straight in speculation land.

That being said what is the 690?? But that is is food for thought in the future Treo thread.
    It is the 690, specifically Palm 690. Just not a Treo 690. (also, it's internal code name on Sprint was Gyrphon; Palm's was Gandolf)

Read here for verification: source

Price (non contract): $399; -$300 in instant/mail-in rebates = $99.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/30/2007 at 09:20 PM.

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Mal thanks for the clarification. I was getting confused. I knew the Centro wasn't a Treo. So it is just the Palm 690 this makesa sense now. I didn't think that there were three devices.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I dunno...have you ever seen a 6700 or 6800 commercial or ad either?
    No, but then I live in the UK
    All - if this is a device targeted for youth, i believe a TV advertising bltiz would be a big mistake. If they do have the money, they should be using advertising methods appropriate for there target audience.

examples:
    A myspace site for the phone

a Friendster site

Posters /boards w/ a TM theme (ask a silly question, tell them to text to a number. Get back answers and some Centro info -like this TM would have been quicker w/ a full keyboard)

Visit schools - give away a few phones to existing sprint customers.

Hit the college football stadiums (Motorola did that w/ the razor)

Granted some of these are expensive, and the comment earlier about the size of palm could make this difficult. However, things like a myspace site, a slick media campaign built around Text messaging, or even getting a person on HOFO boards to talk about it will be less expensive and will focus on there target market.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    In Europe they have started their marketing campaign.
    http://euro.palm.com/europe/en/thene...one/index.html

This campaign is quite silly (why would someone want to win 5 smartphones at a time?). However it could indicate that this phone is introduced as a Treo 5xx.
    FYI - The Centro is referred to as the Treo 690 on my order sheet. The product code is PTR690HK.

To me that means Palm Treo 690.
    I posted their internal marketing literature that stated they are advertising in all sorts of magazines, newspapers, and tv shows (gray's anatomy for one). This is their first time doing this. I'm on my treo now, so you can search for it if you like. It's in the 755 differences thread I think.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.