Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    I recently signed up with Sprint with a SERO plan and got a 755p. This is my first Palm device. I have mainly been a Blackberry person but have also used Windows Mobile. I have a few questions that maybe I just dont know how to fix.

    1. The calendar event on the phone display only shows the next event in that day. If there aren't anymore events for the day it will not show the first event from the next day.

    2. When you use the volume buttons on the side it only lowers the ringer and nothing else. So everything else rings as loud as you have it set it in the prefs.

    3. Multitasking?...If I am doing something and receive a message, I have to stop what I am doing and address the message then start over on what I was doing before that. I think I can shut off the notification to stop it from coming up on the screen but I would rather not.

    4. After hanging up a call I get some call summary popup that I then have to hit "OK" again on. I know I can wait and it will go away on its own but I dont want to wait. I want to see the phone screen again so I definately know the call is hung up. Can't disable this???

    5. Whenever you hit the red end key it locks the device. I have never had a device that did this. Can I change this?? Please say I can.

    Those are the things I can think of at this time in addition to being a kind of slow overall. I really want to like this device but I thought Palm was supposed to be business oriented. It doesn't seem like it to me.
  2. #2  
    The device works perfect for me and I use it for business every day. Take the time to actually learn the system and you will better understand it.
  3. #3  
    Welcome to POS Garnet. It is the most advanced mobile operating system...circa 2002. It's like driving a classic car...it has style but can be a headache sometimes. Eventually, you'll get use to the quirks, download some thrid party fixes, and will stomp some iPhone ***...if, of course, you can stand it that long. Keep at it and look around, these people around here will help. Good Luck.
  4. #4  
    Below are hopefully the answers to the questions you wrote about that I can answer (obviously I didn't have any idea on #1). All of these have been dealt with here on the board numberous times so I think you can find the answers that you're looking for by searching, although I know from experience it's easier said than done. Also, most of the answers that you request that can have something done about it are found in the owners manual. Once you get used to it, you'll either love it or hate it. Figure that out while you're in your 30 days but don't loose that SERO plan as it can't be beat.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJorgie76 View Post
    2. When you use the volume buttons on the side it only lowers the ringer and nothing else. So everything else rings as loud as you have it set it in the prefs.
    The side volume buttons only change the ringer when you are not on a phone call. To set it to the ring volume you want you'll have to press the single button below the volume buttons once while the ringer volume shows on the display. For all the other sounds set them in the prefernces. In the sound catagor there is a drop down menu for each sound.

    3. Multitasking?...If I am doing something and receive a message, I have to stop what I am doing and address the message then start over on what I was doing before that. I think I can shut off the notification to stop it from coming up on the screen but I would rather not.
    This is the biggest complaint most people have with the POS

    4. After hanging up a call I get some call summary popup that I then have to hit "OK" again on. I know I can wait and it will go away on its own but I dont want to wait. I want to see the phone screen again so I definately know the call is hung up. Can't disable this???
    If you find an answer to this let everyone here know how

    5. Whenever you hit the red end key it locks the device. I have never had a device that did this. Can I change this?? Please say I can.
    I'm assuming here that you are talking about the keyguard feature. To disable this go to keyguard in preferences.
    Last edited by RickMG; 08/29/2007 at 04:24 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  5. #5  
    As for the "Call Duration" popup, there are some overlays floating around the boards that disable this. (See Shadowmite's posts where he attaches a file called "test7.prc")

    Works great.

    Fine, I'll get off my *** and link it: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=58
    Last edited by kirk444; 08/29/2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: laziness
  6. #6  
    Definitely different than windows mobile with multitasking. I get around it by assigning quick-key shortcuts to all my common used apps. That way I can jump around by holding down a quickkey and it gives my multitasking back.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJorgie76 View Post
    5. Whenever you hit the red end key it locks the device. I have never had a device that did this. Can I change this?? Please say I can.
    This I don't get.. it's not a flip phone so a keypress would pretty much be the only way to get it into a locked state. If not the red/end key, what would be a better solution?
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  8. #8  
    Yeah what other function other then ending a call are you expecting the red/end button to be? Thats just an odd statement to me.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    Yeah what other function other then ending a call are you expecting the red/end button to be? Thats just an odd statement to me.
    I use mine all the time to turn off the display when I'm done using it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    This I don't get.. it's not a flip phone so a keypress would pretty much be the only way to get it into a locked state. If not the red/end key, what would be a better solution?
    I'm not disagreeing with pressing a key to lock the phone since that would be the only way to do it. What I am saying is making the end key the key that locks it isn't the smartest choice. The reason why is if you press the end key an extra time when ending a call(because you aren't sure if it is actually ending the call since it is slow) it ends up locking and then you have to unlock it to continue using it. I'm sure a lot of other people have the same issue as me with this.

    Quote Originally Posted by syphex
    Yeah what other function other then ending a call are you expecting the red/end button to be? Thats just an odd statement to me.
    I'm not expecting it do anything other than end a call, thats the problem.

    These aren't huge problems but just surprising to see since Palm is so widely used. You would think these things would have come up before and been fixed. I do like the phone overall, these are just little things I was venting about since I am new to Palm.

    Thanks to all who have replied and provided answers or at least ways for me to find the answers.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG
    The side volume buttons only change the ringer when you are not on a phone call. To set it to the ring volume you want you'll have to press the single button below the volume buttons once while the ringer volume shows on the display. For all the other sounds set them in the prefernces. In the sound catagor there is a drop down menu for each sound.
    This is exactly the problem. If I was in a situation where I wanted to lower the ringer, why wouldnt I want to lower any of the other alerts? The volume buttons should lower all sounds to the selected level. I shouldn't have to go through the prefs menus to lower all the other individual alerts. It just doesn't make sense. You really cant beat Blackberry I guess. But for the price of the SERO plan I think I may be able to learn to deal with these issues.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk444 View Post
    As for the "Call Duration" popup, there are some overlays floating around the boards that disable this. (See Shadowmite's posts where he attaches a file called "test7.prc")

    Works great.

    Fine, I'll get off my *** and link it: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=58
    WOW...Thanks for posting that thread. I never had a 700p so I never saw that thread. It works flawlessly and I love having the call duration back.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJorgie76 View Post
    This is exactly the problem. If I was in a situation where I wanted to lower the ringer, why wouldnt I want to lower any of the other alerts? The volume buttons should lower all sounds to the selected level. I shouldn't have to go through the prefs menus to lower all the other individual alerts. It just doesn't make sense. You really cant beat Blackberry I guess. But for the price of the SERO plan I think I may be able to learn to deal with these issues.
    Well, I can see what you're saying and it's a good point in some ways. But I keep my ringer fairly low, and want other sounds a lot louder (they don't ring as long). I use the silence button to mute and vibrate all sounds when needed. I don't know any other phone that does that as easy.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  14. #14  
    DJ,

    Give Palm some time. You are switching platforms and hardware, so there are bound to be some biases that come with this switch. Yes, Palm OS has it's shortcomings, but so does BB.

    My best suggestion is to just use the device for a week or so. Don't get in here and let people biased you. There most definately are some pasionate people in here with different viewpoints on POS.

    Just use the device and get to know it some. Don't even log back in here until you've used it for 5-7 days. After you've had a chance to really use it, come back in here and ask questions.

    TRUST ME ON THIS.

    TKOS
  15. #15  
    for the keyguard issue, set the keyguard pref so it locks 5 or 30 seconds after power off so if you turn it off accidentally you can turn it back on without unlocking
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    for the keyguard issue, set the keyguard pref so it locks 5 or 30 seconds after power off so if you turn it off accidentally you can turn it back on without unlocking
    I did this last night and it is already easier to use. I also tried that test7.prc file that was mentioned in one of the posts above to get rid of the call summary popup and it didn't work. There was an error when trying to install during the sync. I don't have the error number at this time though.
  17. #17  
    Sorry, I should have explained, to install the test7.prc file you must not use the hotsync. The easiest way would be to e-mail the file to yourself, and install it from versamail/chatter.

    As for Maverick, who was discussing quick keys, try holding in your home button for 2 seconds, you might find a pleasant surprise.

    For those with keyguard questions, "Opt+Red" is the keyguard command, so if you'd only like it to lock when YOU tell it to, turn off the auto keyguard from prefs, and use that shortcut.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJorgie76 View Post
    I did this last night and it is already easier to use. I also tried that test7.prc file that was mentioned in one of the posts above to get rid of the call summary popup and it didn't work. There was an error when trying to install during the sync. I don't have the error number at this time though.
    The following instructions worked great for me. I used FileZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203 View Post
    To install the Patch you have to put it in the sd card either by a reader, or a when you hotsync make sure its hotsynced to the card, then find it in the card and with Zlauncher of a file manager, move it to Ram, and thats all, its installed, to remove it use zlauncher or a file manager, and just delete the test file and everything goes back to normal. make sure your not hotsyncing like a regular prc. you are going to get errors
    The file will change names on the internal to "Phone_SPCS" (the one not in ROM) but don't worry about that.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  19. #19  
    I have to ask: Did you RTFM. Many of your questions are answered there.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  20. MannyPR's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I have to ask: Did you RTFM. Many of your questions are answered there.
    Smartest answer of the thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions