Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've now owned virtually every Palm Treo there has been, and the 755p is by far the worst update. I know there was no material changes, except for form, but wow what a disappointment. It is slower than the 700p (with 700p software update). Screen lag when you turn on the device. The new form factor is nice but what a pain in the **** that battery and SD card is incompatible with previous models (I don't care about my old accessories -- I care that now I can't swap batteries with my wife's Treo).

This phone is quite inferior to the (updated) 700p, which in fact was inferior to the 650 (although the 700p had EVDO which made it worth the upgrade).

How many years has it been since the 650? Almost 3? The fact that they've gone from the 650 to 755p in that long of a period of time suggests that Palm won't be around much longer.
    Last edited by masonuc; 08/29/2007 at 08:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc View Post
    I've now owned virtually every Palm Treo there has been, and the 755p is by far the worst update. I know there was no material changes, except for form, but wow what a disappointment. It is slower than the 700p (with 700p software update). Screen lag when you turn on the device. The new form factor is nice but what a pain in the **** that battery and SD card is incompatible with previous models (I don't care about my old accessories -- I care that now I can't swap batteries with my wife's Treo).

This phone is quite inferior to the (updated) 700p, which in fact was inferior to the 650 (although the 700p had EVDO which made it worth the upgrade).

How many years has it been since the 650? Almost 3? The fact that they've gone from the 650 to 755p in that long of a period of time suggests that Palm won't be around much longer.
    I have not had any problems with my treo, other than the text messages that do not always send.

I do agree with you, that the only really upgrade worth bragging about since the 650 (other than form factor) is the evdo.
  3.    #3  
    I haven't had any major problems except screen lag (which is not as severe as it was on the 700p pre-upgrade). What is shocking is the lack of any performance improvements whatsoever.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I just been on the phone with Palm support about my 755 and maybe it might start working again. Last week it decided to stop syncing with my MAC computer. Please do not tell me it is the MAC. If the company makes a "SmartPhone" it needs to sync with PC's and MAC's. I'm disappointed with Palm since the 700p came out my original 650p worked perfectly until it hit a pavement adn broke in several pieces in 2005.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I disagree. My 700p couldnt even play music without skipping and crashed all the time and so I got a 700wx and was very happy. Now I'm back to POS and couldnt be happier, everything just works on this little device...
    I've had the 600, 700 and now a 755. I had a 700p until Monday night when it stopped working (no phone audio, SMS still worked). My impression so far is very positive as far as functionality, but the device seems "cheaper" and not in the good way.

What I mean by "cheaper" is that the buttons do not seem as well defined/manafactured, the stylus has a plastic shaft, the mute feels like it's off a $1 Chinese toy. Having said that, I have only glowing things to say about it functionally. pTunes doesn't skip at all (yet), Bluetooth is usable, the (Mini) SD doesn't have crap performance and overall it seems much snappier, but that could be due to a new load out.

I had some mixed feelings about the free upgrade due to having invested money in 700 only accessories (2400mAH Battery, Ultra2 USB/SD, Pen Stylus), but now I'm quite happy I did. I have a functional phone that's better in -almost- every way from the 700 that I had such high hopes for, but in the end fell short.
    I've had a Treo 650 since they were released, and only a month or two ago did I replace it with the 755p, I couldn't live without EV-DO any longer.

I'd consider the device an upgrade from the 650 in almost every way. Form Factor and EV-DO are obvious improvements, but there are more. The device looks better, and the grippy paint makes it much nicer to hold in your hand. The mute switch, derided above for feeling like it came off a cheap toy, feels more solid, and less likely to accidentally switch, than the one on the 650 (plus it vibrates, to let you know you switched, which I am aware the 700p does as well).

The software is better as well, there are significant evolutionary upgrades to Blazer, Messaging and Phone. Nothing earth-shattering, but it's clear that people weren't just twiddling their thumbs.

The new location for the expansion slot is excellent, out of the way, and without the likelihood of "lost cards."

A lot of people bash the stylus. I've read claims that it was changed in the interest of improved reception, though I'm not sure I buy that. That said, I rarely (once a month?) use the stylus because of the excellent one-handed operation of the device.

There's more, but I'm not going to keep listing things all day.

To sum up, we all know that the 700p > 755p jump is purely evolutionary. Form Factor being the only real reason to change. That said, when you're moving from a 650 > 755p the jump is pretty substantial. In any case, I think the 755p is a definite step forward, though I know I, like many others, do expect a lot more from Palm.
    I too have owned several Treos (300,600 and 650) and my 755p has some good and some bad. The good, WHEN I can get on the net, EVDO is one heck of a lot faster but that is the problem. In another thread I have been discussing how flake log-in is. I get a Error 3000 about every other time I log in followed by an Error 133 (invalid log-in) It takes me 3 freakin' times each time I want to retrieve email or check a web site. It was so bad I took my first 755 back after a week and had it replaced. The new one does the same thing even without installing ANY third party apps and a clean install.
    I've owned every CDMA Treo since the 600. I think the 755p has been the least disappointing since the 650, and certainly far better than the 700P, which couldn't even scroll through an email without lagging and skipping, among other issues.

I like the new material on the 755p because it actually grips. I agree about the switch though, it doesn't feel as nice.

I rank them like this: Treo 600 > Treo 700wx > Treo 755 > Treo 650 > dog **** > Treo 700p
    Something about the old-style switch always made me feel as though it was moments from breaking, and I felt it slid around far too easily, I often switched it while going into/out of my pocket.

The new switch, however, due to it's low profile and more "connected" feel doesn't have the same "I'm about to break" Feel and is very difficult to accidentally switch, but still easy enough to do intentionally. I'm surprised people find it so "cheap" feeling.
    Regarding the stylus, are you sure it's plastic? It feels a bit more like graphite to me. I would think plastic of that type would either melt in high heat conditions or experience deformation or stress fractures over time. Just a thought.
    Happy as a tick on a dog.
    (Although, I do want true GPS, 1GB of memory and Bose stereo speakers with treble and bass contols on my next unit.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 08/29/2007 at 03:35 PM.
    I have had every treo on the planet and this one is one of the best and smallest, im very happy no problems here.
    I love mine over the 700p no problems here either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Happy as a tick on a dog.
    (Although, I do want true GPS, 1GB of memory and Bose stereo speakers with treble and bass contols on my next unit.)

all i want is a phone that doesn't reset....my 650 is on its last days....I could call insurance. Would they replace it with a 700p? dunno. I am holding out for the 755 on verizon....but it better get here soon.
    If you have sprint which it doesn't look like you do unless you plan to switch to verizon when they get the 755 but again on sprint if you have a 650 they will replace it with a 700p. Don't know about verizon it depends if they have any stocked up.
    Yeah syphex I am on verizon. I should call assurion and find out.
  18. jhn
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    My Treo 755 works great when it works. Probably the best overall smart phone out there. But when it does not work, (resets for no good reason,) it is worthless. Right now it is working fine with an occasional reset.

I am scared to death to add any 3rd party software or use the blue tooth piece; that it will reset and loose all of my data again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600 View Post
    ...the mute feels like it's off a $1 Chinese toy. ...
    lol - EXACTLY! And it's designed black on dark red against (in my "case") a burgundy background. With the 600, 650 and 700p I could mute it without a struggle and I could *SEE* it was muted - on the 755 it's darn near impossible to move the switch or know at a glance it's muted.

hmmm, "chinese toy"... I wonder if this "rubber" coating has been tested for lead...? Most if not all electronic cords have some toxic lead content, I wonder.....
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhn View Post
    My Treo 755 works great when it works. Probably the best overall smart phone out there. But when it does not work, (resets for no good reason,) it is worthless. Right now it is working fine with an occasional reset.

I am scared to death to add any 3rd party software or use the blue tooth piece; that it will reset and loose all of my data again.
    Hi jhn!

Sorry to hear your 755 resets. My 755 does not and I have a great many programs loaded. Most often, resets are due to 3rd party software corruption or conflicts.

When I am at a PC, I will post a link to the 'clean install' process that can clear corruption and identify problem programs.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...22&postcount=5

As well, I will post a link to a prior post where I have listed my installed programs for your comparison.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...79&postcount=4

Also, I would recommend nightly hot syncs and/or a backup to SD card program to protect your data. Although, you should not lose data due to a soft reset.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 08/30/2007 at 08:50 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast