1.    #1  
    Just a small rant here --- why in the world doesn't Palm offer the 680 (on AT&T) with rubberized paint?? Both the Sprint 755 and AT&T 750 (WM) have the rubberized paint. I had the 680 for a while but it's slippery like a bar of soap! After holding the 750 with it's rubberized paint, I want a 680 with the same!! I realize Palm will likely never offer this, but I'm curious to know how many people would want a rubberized 680? I welcome comments!
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    They stated 680 was a consumer Treo. I guess the rubberized paint is more expensive? All the newer business oriented Treos have the rubberized paint. Although honestly, the 680 is the 650 redone. I'm just going to guess they went on the cheap with the body.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think rubberized paint would not slip into a case so easy...
    I love the paint effect... I had a 700wx and dropped it the first week when it slipped out of my hand. Knock on wood, I have yet to drop my 755p.
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I agree, the Treo 680 is really quite slippery but the form factor fits in the hand well. I applied one of the protective film products from Best Skins Ever http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet...80-Skin/Detail and they work out great!

The price is $6.99 and is the best money ever spent. The Treo doesn't even slide around on the car console anymore. I didn't apply the screen protector portion of the kit since a lot of people found this to be too sticky - I'd agree. Overall a great product but does take a bit of effort to install.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    They stated 680 was a consumer Treo. ... .
    I have never understood this. First of all, who is "they?" Only Palm could have decided this, and yet I don't believe it is true at all that Palm "stated" this. Others have stated it, but I have not seen Palm say, "this is a consumer Treo." So unless I am wrong about that, this excuse is simply fiction.

Second, even if "they" decided it would be a "consumer Treo," what does that have to do with paint? This same excuse has been proffered here whenever any defect has been cited--for instance, the battery. It has a battery that is inadequate "because it is a consumer Treo." That really baffles me. Consumers don't want a secure finish? Consumers don't want a phone that will work all day?

Third, is the issue as you finally cite one of cost? But what does that have to do with being a consumer Treo (whatever that means)? Why not just say, "they decided this would be a cheap Treo, and to save money they simply shortchanged the consumer." Then I suppose the real answer is not that it is a consumer treo, but a short-change the consumer treo. But that's a very big difference. Is that what you mean? Perhaps.

Finally, consumer as opposed to...who in the world? Non consumers? Who else uses a product except consumers?
    as opposed to corporate.
    Consumers purchase the phone for themselves, corporations have purchasing departments that purchase phones for their employees. When something is geared toward the consumer it is generally built with a lower price point in mind.
    I don't think that is a strange concept to grasp.
    It's not a strange concept, just an implausible one here. Corporations want phones that don't slip out of your hands and that work all day. Consumers want phones to fall and stop working by noon. Sorry. Not a strange concept, just a strange -- and unconvincing -- application of it.
    I agree - I never saw a palm promotion of the 680 that called it a consumer phone. There is also an assumption here that rubberised paint is significantly cheaper than non-rubberised paint. I think it is likely that palm were just interested in producing a 'nice looking' product that could entice buyers with a range of colours.

I am surprised that some people seem to find them to be dangerously slippery - unless you are calling people that make you nervous. The vast majority of small handheld devices (phones, cameras, ipods, 650s, etc) are not coated in rubberised paint, so it isnt like palm broke from away from the norm with the non-rubberised paint.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    I agree - I never saw a palm promotion of the 680 that called it a consumer phone. There is also an assumption here that rubberised paint is significantly cheaper than non-rubberised paint. I think it is likely that palm were just interested in producing a 'nice looking' product that could entice buyers with a range of colours.

I am surprised that some people seem to find them to be dangerously slippery - unless you are calling people that make you nervous. The vast majority of small handheld devices (phones, cameras, ipods, 650s, etc) are not coated in rubberised paint, so it isnt like palm broke from away from the norm with the non-rubberised paint.
    I agree that most products are without rubberized paint. All I'm saying is this... after holding a 750 (with rubberized paint) and using it for a while, having no problems slipping it in or out of a case, I absolutely LOVE the rubberized paint! Practically NO chance of slipping. The 755p and the 680 are almost identical, so why short-change the 680 users (AT&T) and give the Sprint folks a rubberized 755?? It just seems inexplicable to me. I'm hoping and crossing my fingers that Palm releases an AT&T Linux-based Treo which will run my legacy Palm apps AND have rubberized paint -- if they do this, I'll buy one. If not... guess I'll hang on to my OTHER slippery phone, the 650 (already dropped it enough that it's a keeper now).
    I find the 680 extremely squirrely. I tended to drop the 650 often too but this one seems to fly off in different directions without warning. It seems a bit worse than the 650 but I could be wrong. I just ordered those skins and we'll see if that makes it less slippery.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I find the 680 extremely squirrely. I tended to drop the 650 often too but this one seems to fly off in different directions without warning. It seems a bit worse than the 650 but I could be wrong. I just ordered those skins and we'll see if that makes it less slippery.
    I've used a skin before (previously tried the 680). I had a skin installed by a local ShieldZone at a mall. It was great for a few months but ultimately starts getting a bit grimy with use and then begins to peel off. Thus, not really the answer I was looking for (even though they guarantee it and will install a new one... I don't care to go through the hassle every couple months).

I also agree that the 680 is squirrely... it wants to squirt out like a bar of soap at times. Perhaps the 650 wasn't quite as bad because of the external antenna and the fact it's a bit thicker around the middle??
    Egrips are still the best, IMO, at keeping devices in your hand and where you put them after setting them down. I've had the same set on since December. I was going to replace them when my ear speaker died so now I'm saving my new set for my new treo.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Palm has so many models out they could have just offered the 680 as a rubberized version for more money=more profit for palm..wow that would be way to easy?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    Palm has so many models out they could have just offered the 680 as a rubberized version for more money=more profit for palm..wow that would be way to easy?
    What about a Black Tie 680?? Like the Black Tie 650, it would be a beautiful phone. Black rubberized paint, chrome in place of the plastic on the face... I'd pay a little more for that
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    What about a Black Tie 680?? Like the Black Tie 650, it would be a beautiful phone. Black rubberized paint, chrome in place of the plastic on the face... I'd pay a little more for that
    So would I.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS