ronbo2000:. ronbo2000........Yahoo: ronbo2000oftc
    hteasthope: hteasthope
    jberman:..... jberman
    Franko515:...Franko515
    Plaut:..........Plaut................Yahoo: dcplaut
    Boberang:....Bspooky...........AIM: bspooky4fun
    Wilsonb:...... wilsonb.......... Yahoo: wilsonison
    Trgeoff:...... trgeoff .............Yahoo: trgeoff

TC member, and programmer extraordinaire, Brennan has set up a free online server for Treo users who want to play chess (and TicTacToe, and eventually other games). For more details of this absolutely magical addition to the Treo experience, and to get the free "alpha" version of the required Treo app, wifight, see the main wifight thread.

Later, he plans to make it possible for us to see if other potential players are online, but at the moment you can only enter other registered players' nicks and hope they respond.

So to help get the thing going, and following a most sensible suggestion from Tonylmiller, if you submit your Wifight nicks to this thread, Ill maintain an updated list in this post, at the top of the thread.

Note : YOU must first register yourself via the wifight application, and after having done so, then post a message here.

Some tips:

1. You can have multiple games going at once, and this is probably the best way to go, since it it increases your chances of being able to find at least one player online and ready to play when you are. It is fairly uncommon in my experience to date for a game to be played to its conclusion in a single session.

2. You can see how many players are online at any one time, via the wifight home link that is in the "About > About wifight" menu tab in the application itself.

3. While the application itself does not currently support chatting, Ronbo2000 and I have successfully used our Palm IM applications to chat during some games. If you send your nick and IM service details to this list, I will add them to the list above.

4. The application supports: checkmate, stalemate, castling and en passant fully. The program does force a draw according to the "50-move rule" i.e. fifty moves on both sides without a piece/pawn being captured or a pawn being moved. Pawn promotion at the moment does not give you any options: you are automatically assigned a Queen. There is no provision for a draw via the triple-repetition rule. You can't take back moves, or offer/accept a draw. You can't resign, but you can quit, which is effectively the same.

5. To see what move your opponent just made, you can either use the back/forward arrows, or look for the two squares with differently-colored borders - these indicate the start and end squares of the piece that has just moved.

6. If you hold down the back or forward arrows, you can move through a large # of moves without having to tap each time. This is especially good for going back to the start of a finished game - to see what actually happened! Alternatively you can highlight the desired arrow, and then hold down the 5-way centre key.

7. You can also play against the chess engine on the server. Create a new game, and type in chessbot when you are asked for your opponent's name. It has only one level of play, the lowest possible for the particular engine used (GNU), but I've been told its still pretty tough! And if you don't enter any opponent name, then you can play both sides or just hand the Treo back and forth with another player.

8. If you are connected to wifight, and you turn off your screen (without leaving wifight) then the treo will vibrate if anyone in one of your games makes a move. On the 650 at least, the phone indicator light also turns red at this time. There is no sound alert if someone makes a move while you have wifight, or any other app, open and the screen turned on.

9. If there seems to be some problem with moves updating, or any other type of lag, try tapping the four green "connection strength" boxes in top RH corner. The program checks for a live connection every two minutes, but tapping forces a check and resets the connection.

10. Maximum kudos to brother Brennan for this really incredible development!!!!! He may call it "alpha" software, but it's about as slick as it gets in the world of treo.

Let the games begin!
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 10/02/2007 at 01:17 PM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Mine is ssrjazz. Unfortunately, I'm far better at tic-tac-toe than Chess.
    I'm....let me see....."ljj8503". ....i take all comers in chess!!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    yoyoyoyoyoyoyoyo whyyyyyyyy fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

i'm in, L1quid : Liquid

someone challenge me to a game of ttt or chess pronto style!
    To confirm: the server keeps games around even if you are not connected. (This is because mobile data connections tend to suck.) And when you do go online, the server updates you with any new turns that have been posted. So yeah, it's kind of like correspondence chess that way. You don't have to have both players online in order to submit or get a turn (but if you are online at that moment, it will show up immediately.)
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Another idea: some Treo IM programs allow you to chat from within another program. Well, at least I know that verichat did, and in fact my verichat app still seems to be working. So if you have some IM account that would allow simultaneous wifight play, send along a contact # and Ill add that to the list as well.

Ill do same, after I've created a dedicated ICQ # for this.

Ive got two games going now, one with Basu, one with Famous. Good stuff!

One way to proceed while there are so few of us, is for everyone to set up a game with everyone else on the list, and then just take pot luck when you log on.

Brennan:
    to increase awareness of WF beyond the cloistered confines of TC, maybe you could look into getting it listed on some of the Palm software sites? Or maybe you want some further features before you do that?

v4 works fine for me.

Thanks again for your efforts Brennan!!!!!!!!!!!!
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Brennan: I just noticed, while playing you in fact, that I couldn't castle on the king's side. I double-checked this in a game with chessbot and this is true whether you are playing either black or white.

Interestingly, it does castle perfectly on queen's side, and it also does en passant properly.

Obviously, the castling issue needs to be fixed, but in the long run, it would also be good to have a list of some of the finer points (or lack of them) under which the games are run.

currently got 3 games ongoing with others on the list, and have "challenged" everyone else.

BTW Im NOT any great shakes as a player, my fascination for the game stems from its marvellous capacity to waste even more of my time than I currently manage.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Yes actually I had just noticed that when you played move #21. I went to castle kingside and no go. I just checked the code and there was a bug preventing kingside castle. I've already updated the server so it should start being available as of the next played move in all games.

I do need to make a page detailing the exact rules implemented. I pretty much went with what Wikipedia had to say En passant is there, castling is (now) there, checkmate/stalemate etc. The only limitation is that when you promote a pawn it always promotes to a queen for now.

Heh, time to castle...
    Darn that chessbot just killed me.

Can you add an undo?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    wow that was quick with the castling!

some useful enhancements would be:

* the ability to resign
    * the ability to offer and accept a draw

this is really great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill also check whether you can run it as a DA, people could then have their IM app open and play wf at at the same time (unless you're planning on having your own built-in chat feature of course!!)

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Darn that chessbot just killed me.

Can you add an undo?
    It's planned but I don't have it yet. He's a mean little guy, isn't he? I even turned GNUchess down as far as it goes and turned off the opening book and he just destroys me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    wow that was quick with the castling!

some useful enhancements would be:

* the ability to resign
    * the ability to offer and accept a draw

this is really great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill also check whether you can run it as a DA, people could then have their IM app open and play wf at at the same time (unless you're planning on having your own built-in chat feature of course!!)

cheers
    I am but let me know if that works-- it sounds neat. I haven't tried the DA thing yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    It's planned but I don't have it yet. He's a mean little guy, isn't he? I even turned GNUchess down as far as it goes and turned off the opening book and he just destroys me.
    It's set at the lowest level??? The guy who wrote that code must really enjoy chess.

I will keep trying him. This game rekindled my love for chess games.

Anyway, got everyone on the list on a game or two.

I am addicted.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    I am but let me know if that works-- it sounds neat. I haven't tried the DA thing yet.
    well you are one ambitious guy!!!

I tried out running wifight as a DA launched from within Verichat, and overall I think I would use it. Ive played two games of tictactoe, and continued my intriguing chess battles with ronbo2000 and yourself, played a bit of a chess game against myself, all in all skipping back and forth about 30 times between verichat and wf. I had one reset (not a major one) in amongst all that. This may have been because I rushed out of wifight straight after ronbo had made a move, and I think wf was still processing things.

my DA approach:

Create wifight DA with Accessorizer
    Launch DAs with PetitLauncher

(both are freeware)

But I think only treo-fanatics would rush to this solution, and an internal chat feature would push your system into the stratosphere!

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    That is neat. I need to try that out.

Heh I haven't even started on chat yet so it may be a while. But eventually.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    hehe, dont worry! its great as it is right now!!

...even if I can think of one more small, but obvious improvement : it would be better if the "waiting for other player" banner didnt obscure the board, so you can ponder the game while waiting.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    you can add me to the list...this is a great game!
    My ID is hteasthope
    Sprint Palm Pre
    By the way, queen promotion wasn't working, but now it is. Also in the next version you'll be able to tap on the "waiting for other player" to make it go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503 View Post
    I'm....let me see....."ljj8503". ....i take all comers in chess!!
    I have been waiting... your turn!
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I've set-up a yahoo IM account, trgeoff, just for my use with wifight, and Ive added an extra two columns on the list in post #1 to add in such details for anyone else who wants to try chatting while playing.

if so send both your account type and the nick.

I'm still able to use verichat, and it's very neat in that messages appear and can be replied to while you are in another program. Only issue might be that it only sees a limited # of account types (Yahoo, ICQ, AIM and MSN).

I know Mundo is more flexible, but does it let you respond from outside the program, like Verichat? If not the DA approach i noted above may work, or one could just flip between the 2 programs.

also is it still impossible for Mundu to send offline messages to other users? I tried it out 4 months back and was shocked that it couldnt do this.

Or, any suggestions of another IM program better suited to integrate with wf?

(dont know when i will be able to try the chatting, pretty busy with work right now, and I cant login anyway)
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast