Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by boberang View Post
    ummm, this is going to sound dumb I know & trusty google didn't help...what is lcc?
    Internet Chess Club, their website is here.

if you did the google search with the syntax ' icc "chess" ' (not including the ' ), it will be the first link in the search results.
    Last edited by Ljj8503; 09/11/2007 at 12:13 PM.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    doh! I have always disliked sans seriff fonts..... I was using Lcc, not icc.

(goes & hides in the corner for silly oversight)
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    well my run of good fortune has come to an end... got obliterated by an ljj8503 pawn storm and its remarkably grim against bspooky now too! now I could analyse what i did wrong or..... perhaps play anther game...ooh thats sounds much more fun!!

congrats on your win ljj! Are you willing to share your ICC ratings with us? Great story about your dad.

my own much less impressive "IM game" story goes back to 1972, peak Fischer fever time, when the local shopping mall put on a simul with 50 players versus an IM. I was a teenager then and managed a draw, after a really bad blunder by the master. he was really pissed. its been all downhill since for me!!

tight game as usual with ronbo, no clear advantages that I can see.

thanks for the info on Go, boberang, I must look into it- maybe even on the treo one day! if you do check out ICC, you can play for a week with full access without registering . after that you can still always log on as a guest, but thats pretty limiting. If money is no object, then ICC is the way to go for such services, but if the fees are an issue, try out FICS, similar but smaller.
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 09/12/2007 at 12:11 AM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    i'm a "needle in a haystack" as far as my rating on icc is concerned, i'm in the lower-percentile bracket (1500-1600) when you consider the fact that the ratings on icc range roughly between 900-3000, but then again I don't play that often because i'm really busy a lot of the time. I personal think my rating is higher than that-maybe when I have some free time i'll find out!!

I used to love playing on FICS wirelessly on my treo 650 when chesseverywhere worked, but since that app is no longer supported/works I have not had any other option for online chess play from my treo 700p-still waiting for an app that can play on a popular chess server--i have to envoke DUN with my dell axim x51v ppc in order to play live online now.

TRGeOFF- I know you are in India & likely not a US person but do check out the US go association...it has a decent amount of get started material.

As far as our current game looking bleak I originally thought my rook for pawn sacrifice would just yield me checking you around so I can get your rook back in a few moves...but it is starting to look like mate in 4-5 moves unless I am missing something. I fell into this, I was just going for a risky pawn snatch.

now back to ljj to see if I can hold the center he gave me...my three pawns & two nights were dominating it but he is busting it up from the edges now.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    TRGeOFF- I know you are in India & likely not a US person but do check out the US go association...it has a decent amount of get started material.

As far as our current game looking bleak I originally thought my rook for pawn sacrifice would just yield me checking you around so I can get your rook back in a few moves...but it is starting to look like mate in 4-5 moves unless I am missing something. I fell into this, I was just going for a risky pawn snatch.

Boberang:
    thanks re US Go association tip, will check.

Our game: I should have resigned a long time ago, but it was fun trying for a while anyway! Congrats, 4-1 to you now!! Game 6 is up and running.

Ronbo2000: the interesting phase begins!!

Ljj8503: thanks for info on yr ratings. I've started playing a few games over the last week on FICS-- their blitz ratings seem a lot tougher for me than the ICC equivalents! Or perhaps I've got a lot weaker/rustier since I played last, or the chess world has moved ahead en bloc!

Re online ICC/FICS: I never got to use chesseverywhere, but also dream of something like that for the treo.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    llj8503, thanks for the game. I reviewed the game and I don't remember what I was thinking why I took that pawn in exchange for a bishop.
    yeah, i think that was the nail in the coffin...now on to the next game!!

plaut, it was even until I've made the stupid move. Ah, next game.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    plaut, it was even until I've made the stupid move. Ah, next game.
    yes, very close game - couldn't figure out how to break through.
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Trgeoff, that was a good game. You are very aggresive with those knights.
    See, told ya he attacks well. :-)
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    In that game for once I did have a long-range plan, trading the bishop for the two pawns and the knight manoeuvrability on the opened-up side. My feeling was that our bishops weren't doing much anyway. Your tight defence however made it a long wait before there was any return on my gamble!!

See, told ya he attacks well. :-)
    our last game was beauty too!! I was really happy with the way I was able to manage that congested cluster of material in the centre - I usually get confused and misread things in that type of situation. Of course it just meant I saved my confused moves for later in the game! Reminder to self: must stop giving you pieces!!
    One of your great strengths is never rushing things. After doing a weak move myself I always am sweating on you not seeing the obvious reply -- but you always do.

Glad you liked the stuff I got together on ratings! Go, go Glicko.
    BTW I think we should pause our current game until the castling problem is fixed.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    plaut, I was almost played an even game with you until I did that wrong move.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Yes, looked like a draw to me to that point.
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I empathize, I managed another of my egregious mouse errors against bspooky today. At least Ive worked out now that I do them when i have calculated (now thats' a fancy chess word!) my next move well beforehand, so I'm not then paying proper attention to the green-square pattern on the screen.

anyway am currently enjoying the game against yourself and a very long war of attrition with ljj8503.

I guess every1 knows the World chess champs tourney is on now, 2nd last round today, looks like Anand will cruise home. Two world championships for india within one week! time to transfer my citizenship!

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Yes, the thing i like about Anand is that he will almost always play a variation of an opening that usually leads to a drastically complicated position, which then enables him to show off his world-class position skills, which often times overwelms his opponent. in many way he is like the modern-day tal of our time.

you musta made that move while writing this sentence......sorry....couldn't resist!!

world chess challenge??? dang, I need to keep up....is Anad going to be the new chess champion? I think I know kasperov lost it a few years back, but after thqt I haven't really known...going to have to google!

trgeoff....your king was kinda in duress...or at least getting nervous with all the guns pointed at him...in this last game when you did the mouse error....have you ever explored using using the 5 way navigator instead of the stylus? I use it probably 50 percent of the time for one handed moves & it is great & probably a lot less chance of mousy-stylus errors! :-)
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast