Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Ok, some of you guys are current chess club players and is not saying it. Fess up! I need to find my chess-fu level.
    not current, but I played at a club for about 1 1/2 yrs about 5 years back, but one game per night was not my style. i never got around to getting an official rating

I played on ICC for about 5 years i think, my "blitz" (speed chess) rating hovering between 1400-1500 and my standard speed rating was between 1500-1600. ICC sets up its scoring system such that 1500 is the average rating for all its players. Real-world grandmasters on ICC (of which there are many) generally are around 3000, so ICC ratings are somehwat inflated compared to FIDE ratings.

If you do want more (PC) chess action, and want to see how you shape up in a well-established ratings system, ICC is the best, but I would suggest as a an adequate runner up now, the ancestor of ICC, FICS, which doesnt charge any fees, and has some really nice free interfaces to choose from (eg BabasChess).

I just logged on to FICS again yesterday, having somehow remembered my nick and pw from a brief stint in 2002! It's a vastly improved experience to what it used to be back then.

I wouldnt mind improving at chess, but that would mean studying the openings, which Im way too lazy to do. Maybe Brennan can implement a "Fischer Random" variant of chess one day, which gets around the need to know openings.

anyway, im losing games too, in fact ive been beaten in all my 3 games against bspooky! congrats to him - i think he does know his openings!

maybe one day we could have a tourney via wifight, that would be one way of getting an idea of our relative standings, without having to implement a ratings system

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    aahhh!!! this game was very interesting before i missed it up!! in my partially-awake state i though that you (trgeoff) made the move fxE5, in which case my queen on b6 would have been safe-but instead you did dxE5, which left my queen exposed to attack: !!, that woke me up, but it was too late!! i hope an option to take back a move before the other person makes their move(since it is, in essence, correspondence chess)is implemented, but then again i should just play when i'm fully awake also . i started another game with you btw....i don't plan on losing this one !!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503 View Post
    i started another game with you btw....i don't plan on losing this one !!
    I didnt see it myself until after id moved the pawn, twas not planned.

being awake aways helps, but interestingly i found when playing on ICC, that a beer sometimes helps too, sort of like when youre playing pool, youre a bit more relaxed and creative.

the nice thing with online chess, another game is only a click away!

ill do my best to thwart your fiendish plan to win

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    <snip> I played on ICC for about 5 years i think, my "blitz" (speed chess) rating hovering between 1400-1500 and my standard speed rating was between 1500-1600. ICC sets up its scoring system such that 1500 is the average rating for all its players. Real-world grandmasters on ICC (of which there are many) generally are around 3000, so ICC ratings are somehwat inflated compared to FIDE ratings.

If you do want more (PC) chess action, and want to see how you shape up in a well-established ratings system, ICC is the best, but I would suggest as a an adequate runner up now, the ancestor of ICC, FICS, which doesnt charge any fees, and has some really nice free interfaces to choose from (eg BabasChess).

<snip>
    anyway, im losing games too, in fact ive been beaten in all my 3 games against bspooky! congrats to him - i think he does know his openings!

maybe one day we could have a tourney via wifight, that would be one way of getting an idea of our relative standings, without having to implement a ratings system

cheers
    ICC, FIDE, FICS, yikes, you are way above me.

Ok, who has won at least one game against bspooky? I certainly haven't but I am not giving up yet.

aahhh!!! this game was very interesting before i missed it up!! in my partially-awake state i though that you (trgeoff) made the move fxE5, in which case my queen on b6 would have been safe-but instead you did dxE5, which left my queen exposed to attack: !!, that woke me up, but it was too late!! i hope an option to take back a move before the other person makes their move(since it is, in essence, correspondence chess)is implemented, but then again i should just play when i'm fully awake also . i started another game with you btw....i don't plan on losing this one !!
    Spoken like a true chess player.

I managed to get a draw (we talked via IM as the game would not allow us for a draw - someone has to quit however) with trgeoff which I congratulated myself as an achievement.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    ICC, FIDE, FICS, yikes, you are way above me.

I managed to get a draw (we talked via IM as the game would not allow us for a draw - someone has to quit however) with trgeoff which I congratulated myself as an achievement.
    hehe, I wish my game play was as advanced as my knowledge of chess lore. And im sure a win against me is just a matter of time-- all our games to date have been tough for me!
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.

Ok, who has won at least one game against bspooky? I certainly haven't but I am not giving up yet.
    Actually, while it is true I have won many games here as bspooky that is coming to an end. ljj8503 has had the game in hand for a dozen moves now but he missed something awhile back that could have really ended it, so I am playing on hoping to pull a draw out, but it is looking very, very, very bleak now. My hopes for a draw ended 1/2 dozen moves back I am afraid. :-(

And TRgEOFF has a ton of momentum and great position in our current game, so it looks like it may be two in a row (losses) for me. :-(

cheers
    Good games though! And I agree with you completely about openings. The downfall of chess (imo) is the stationary start of the board and the possibility of those with lesser chess-fu doing better simply because of memorizing openings.

That is where Go comes in, the board is clean, and while there may be some openings, they don't dictate the winner nearly as often in chess. Go's problem is different rule sets of course, but it is still (imo) the purer strategy game. No need to randomize the pieces ala Fischer Random. :-)

And no, not a club player nor truly know any openings other than the time in primary school when I played some competitive players and saw a couple. Since then other than a game or two here and there I gave up on chess (for 25+ years) for other strategy games as I didn't like book studying and have only come back to chess in more than a game or two here and there for this very nice little app!
    Last edited by boberang; 09/10/2007 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by boberang View Post
    Actually, while it is true I have won many games here as bspooky that is coming to an end. ljj8503 has had the game in hand for a dozen moves now but he missed something awhile back that could have really ended it, so I am playing on hoping to pull a draw out, but it is looking very, very, very bleak now. My hopes for a draw ended 1/2 dozen moves back I am afraid. :-(

And TRgEOFF has a ton of momentum and great position in our current game, so it looks like it may be two in a row (losses) for me. :-(
    Thanks, that's interesting to know. I believe you have still have the lead under the win column if the system is keeping tabs.
    ... <snip>
    And no, not a club player nor truly know any openings other than the time in primary school when I played some competitive players and saw a couple. Since then other than a game or two here and there I gave up on chess (for 25+ years) for other strategy games as I didn't like book studying and have only come back to chess in more than a game or two here and there for this very nice little app!
    Wow, kudos to you. You are even better for a casual player. Great. Did you ever play the chess bot yet? If you did how did you fare against the bot?

I do enjoy the games with each of you all. Thank you for playing. And thank you very much (words could not express it all) to Brennan who took the time and effort to put this together. This is a great little app!!
    I did play the chessbot once but didn't find it too interesting as I was able to get a piece up fairly early in the game. Didn't play it again since it is a cpu...would rather play humans.

And whille I may have won the first three vs Trgeoff I think he is easily the better player. Actually attacker for sure. Though in the game he just won I wish Trgeoff would have retreated the queen & let us go on with my rook/night & others vs the queen & others. Not convinced a queen is worth as much as a knight & rook. But noooo, he had to gp ahead & win the game instead. :-)
    boberang, your last game with trgeoff sounds very interesting.

It would be nice to be able to see how the game actually played out.

My assessment of trgeoff is as follows: he has lured me into thinking that I have control and he springs the trap. He's a good strategist.

Anyway, I get impatient and without doing much analysis, execute my usual reckless moves and walk right into his trap. So in the end it is my mistake.

I do like playing against him as the games are challenging and keeps me thinking.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    And whille I may have won the first three vs Trgeoff I think he is easily the better player. Actually attacker for sure. Though in the game he just won I wish Trgeoff would have retreated the queen & let us go on with my rook/night & others vs the queen & others. Not convinced a queen is worth as much as a knight & rook. But noooo, he had to gp ahead & win the game instead. :-)
    thanks boberang, although i feel its only points on the scoreboard that matter in the end. so I think your 3-1 record speaks for itself. It was an interesting game, strangely enough that whole furious kingside attack only came to be because of an error in castling. I somehow managed to move my K only 1 square towards my castle. With my K left exposed I decided attack was the best form of defense. but I was never certain of the outcome, and you eventually manoeuvred your pieces to give yourself a lot of chances to attack my more and more anxious-looking King! sorry i ddnt take up the challenge of the next game straightaway- it was Indian bedtime!

Go: as you improve does it have a seemingly never-ending store of eureka moments to savour as does chess?

My assessment of trgeoff is as follows: he has lured me into thinking that I have control and he springs the trap. He's a good strategist.
    hehe, ronbo, I wish i was that good to be luring people into long-range traps! no, when you were ahead you were ahead, you were ahead. Capitalising on an that advantage quickly enough to stop me mounting a counterattack - well that may have been more the idea.

ijj8503: our game seems to be frozen at my end, its really weird, something I havent seen before. I thought i made move #10 exd5 (and in the games list screen it says #10, Waiting) but within the game screen itself, it is only showing your Move #9, d5) and all my pieces are non-selectable. Tell me whats happening at your end, it might be somethng Brennan needs to look into.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Actually, while it is true I have won many games here as bspooky that is coming to an end. ljj8503 has had the game in hand for a dozen moves now but he missed something awhile back that could have really ended it, so I am playing on hoping to pull a draw out, but it is looking very, very, very bleak now. My hopes for a draw ended 1/2 dozen moves back I am afraid :-(
    I see what you are talking about, but i think i am still in good shape-converting my extra minor piece from a slight advantage into a solid win may prove a little harder than i expect because of the lack in coordination between my "troops"; sharp play is definitely required of you buddy!!
    Last edited by Ljj8503; 09/11/2007 at 01:21 AM.

ijj8503: our game seems to be frozen at my end, its really weird, something I havent seen before. I thought i made move #10 exd5 (and in the games list screen it says #10, Waiting) but within the game screen itself, it is only showing your Move #9, d5) and all my pieces are non-selectable. Tell me whats happening at your end, it might be somethng Brennan needs to look into.

cheers
    every thing seems fine on my end...i just made my move (cxd5) a little while ago, let me know what happens.

i'm going to get my instant messaging going tomorrow so i can "talk" to all you guys.

i've been reading all the comments about knowing the opening moves/theory thus far, and agree....for the most part. i know many book openings, but it's just that, theory; a bunch of "right" moves that are accepted as law by the chess community until another prominent/ highly respected grandmaster (i.e. kasparov, karpov, tal) comes along and introduces a new opening move(s) which starts the theory-cycle all over again. what do all these great players have in common? tremendous skill utilized as a foundation for their fearless imagination. so what am i trying to say? imho unless u play high level chess then i would only worry about having a basic knowledge of opening theory. i have have won many games on icc (blitz games) by playing non-opening book moves against a player that strictly relies on opening moves, and when an unknown position is reached they are caught off guard. my dad has been playing for over 30 years, doesn't study opening theory but relies on his experience, and he beat an IM 3 wins, 2 losses (unregulated 2hr/40- move game-best of 5-no draws) a few years ago!! instead of memorizing opening moves i would suggest to the player wanting to get better (especially myself included) to hone the ability to analyze a position, and then depending on what type of player you are (conservative/aggressive), make a move which is logical to the plan you devised from that analysis (while still keeping an eye on your opponent); i have personally found this to work better for me, but i am still learning also.
    Last edited by Ljj8503; 09/10/2007 at 11:42 PM.

...<snip>... instead of memorizing opening moves i would suggest to the player wanting to get better (especially myself included) to hone the ability to analyze a position, and then depending on what type of player you are (conservative/aggressive), make a move which is logical to the plan you devised from that analysis (while still keeping an eye on your opponent); i have personally found this to work better for me, but i am still learning also.
    Sound advise but really difficult for me. I tend to over analyze and then make the wrong choices.

Our game seems to be frozen as well.
    Sound advise but really difficult for me. I tend to over analyze and then make the wrong choices.

Our game seems to be frozen as well.
    i think over-analyzing a position happens to everyone evey once in a while, but just start your practice of analyzing a position with basic questions like:

1. does my opponent have any immediate threats on his next move? does it warrant my immediate attention, or can i continue with my plan?
    2. are there any weaknesses in my position? if so, how can i best deal with them?

of course the list goes on and on, but you get the ideal. if you have ever asked yourself these questions (as most chess players generally do), then you in essence already have the framework for analysis already.

i in no way am advertising for icc, but i will say that my skill level has definitely increased since playing their--just the ability to see/watch real-life grandmasters play live games has proved to provide volumes of information; since play is "unofficial"(not affecting their real-life rating), grandmasters will tend to be more creative and take more chances....!!

I haven't moved in our game yet; i'm still trying to decide how to proceed, but i will first thing in the morning when i have my coffee!!
    Last edited by Ljj8503; 09/11/2007 at 01:16 AM.

My game with hteasthope is heating up. We are on the end game position. One rook each. Kings on the move trying to get the pawn advantage. Geez. Think, think
    Treoff...no worries on delay of strting next game....way I figure it sometimes I move I 5 minutes...other times 5 hours or 15 hours....or I am sure 5 days in the future. great thing about this little app....mive when life allows you a chance to escape in it.

as far as Go & aha moments ala seeing a special move in chess....i think it actually offers MORE of those moments. every game seems more unique compared to chess. While don't think I am a good go player either the fact that go computers can't beat even normal human players speaks volumes to the intensestrategy...and aha moments.

I think fischer tried go, as did a few other grandmasters. if I remember right fischer thought it ciuld be the superior game too...if only the world could decide on a scoring system
    ummm, this is going to sound dumb I know & trusty google didn't help...what is lcc?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast