Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    TRgEOff: That's a dang good article. The only thing I would mention is that the 50-move draw rule is in fact implemented.
    Quote Originally Posted by plaut View Post
    hteasthope - thanks for the game.

Even very simple chat/messaging would be a nice addition to this app....
    Yea no problem! Ill be sending another soon! Need a re-match!
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    TRgEOff: That's a dang good article. The only thing I would mention is that the 50-move draw rule is in fact implemented.
    Thanks, just trying to get keep up the momentum!

I tried out the 50 move rule, and yes it does work, great, but the moves as counted in wifight are really only half-moves of a chess game. A move in chess parlance always involves a pair of moves, one by white and one by black. Thus Move 1 = wifight moves (1 + 2); Move 2 = (3 + 4) etc etc.

Thus the rule should come into effect after **100** wifight moves not 50, without a pawn move or capture. It's important because in some common endgames with reduced material (eg a king and two bishops against a king) mate is possible, but would often take between 25-50 real moves.

Less important: In tournament play, the rule is only invoked if one player requests it to be, but in the current scenario, where there is no record of the game, it is actually makes more sense for the computer to make the decision.

Record now is eight concurrent games!

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Thanks, just trying to get keep up the momentum!

I tried out the 50 move rule, and yes it does work, great, but the moves as counted in wifight are really only half-moves of a chess game. A move in chess parlance always involves a pair of moves, one by white and one by black. Thus Move 1 = wifight moves (1 + 2); Move 2 = (3 + 4) etc etc.

Thus the rule should come into effect after **100** wifight moves not 50, without a pawn move or capture. It's important because in some common endgames with reduced material (eg a king and two bishops against a king) mate is possible, but would often take between 25-50 real moves.

Less important: In tournament play, the rule is only invoked if one player requests it to be, but in the current scenario, where there is no record of the game, it is actually makes more sense for the computer to make the decision.

Record now is eight concurrent games!

cheers
    Heh woops, I misunderstood the rule I guess. The server should now correctly detect 50 moves by each player as triggering the draw.

Eight concurrent games! Even the 3 or 4 I am in are too much for me to keep up with
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    Heh woops, I misunderstood the rule I guess. The server should now correctly detect 50 moves by each player as triggering the draw.
    hehe, Ill take your word for this, it was painful enough checking out the "25 Move" rule.

Eight concurrent games! Even the 3 or 4 I am in are too much for me to keep up with
    you have much more useful things to do!

ah that reminds me: one other thing to put on the wish-lists, but I dont know if is possible.

Before you choose a piece, all the pieces that can legally moved are highlighted in Blue. I can see that this has educational value for beginners, but I find it disturbs my sense of the board, by making it more difficult to see which squares are white/black. This is particularly a problem for thinking about the bishops moves. I would prefer this highlighting as an option.

I actually like the legal moves highlighted in green once you have chosen the piece. And i particularly like the fact that there is a confirm button (Make move) once having moved the piece. On the ICC games are often played at very high speed (eg total game in 2 minutes), so they cant afford a confirm feature. People are therefore always making unintended "mouse errors", and it can really spoil a game.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Aw man, I just gave my queen away to bspooky. Not so much mouse error as brain error...
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    TRgEOff - thanks for the game. By the way, although I don't use it that often, my Yahoo IM nicname is dcplaut.
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plaut View Post
    TRgEOff - thanks for the game. By the way, although I don't use it that often, my Yahoo IM nicname is dcplaut.
    Thanks, too Plaut, a tight game! (will continue the new one tomorrow, time for bed here in India!)

I've added your nick to the list. Ive just finally replaced Verichat with Mundu, so ill be interested to see how it works.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by boberang View Post
    of course if you get som flavor of Go going I would consider always having a treo JUST for Go games!
    I looked into implementing Go a bit, especially since the graphics would be easy but there are like 20 variations to the ruleset! And the final scoring seems to be more of a negotiation process between the players than a deterministic set of rules. Is there an official (and easy for a computer to score) version of the rules I should be looking at?
    Hey hey, yeah, Go does have different rule sets, which I think is one of the reasons it has never taken off in the West, despite its superiority to Chess (even a Go playing super computer can't beat an average human go player) in terms of freshness of each game and pure strategy, and being able to handicap a game so that even a master can play a beginner on a pseudo even level.

One thing you could do would be to do first capture go. VERY simplified rules, the winner is the person who captures the first piece. Usually it is on a 10x10 board, but 15x15 or 20x20 may work on the Palm too. Actually, there is a fun palm game dedicated to first capture go, AtariGo (http://www.cis.hut.fi/praiko/atarigo/). Not sure why it always starts with 4 pieces on the board though. It is also discussed at http://hilltopgo.com/cg/captgame.html which also has the "first to capture 5 pieces" variant idea.

I would suggest besides doing first caputre go or capture 5 variant to implement just one rule set. Pick the american go association's ruleset for example (http://www.usgo.org/resources/rulesofgo.html has info on it) and just stick to it. Or pick Japan territory rule set and just implement it. Basically, don't worry about all the rule sets, just do one full fledge rule set and be done with it....they all usually end up the same anyway.

But even first capture go or first to capture 5 pieces go would be great!!! usgo.org has a link to computer go programs including some for the palm, that may help too.
    Bspooky is killing me with my reckless moves And so with Hteasthope and ljj8503. But on with the game.

TrgEoff, I have recreated my yahoo account, are you getting my messages?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    DAMN!

On the cusp of winning against ya Ronbo, and you resign.

Brennan: Why not checkers? That'd be fairly easy as far as graphics and ruleset. At least easier than Go.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    DAMN!

Brennan: Why not checkers? That'd be fairly easy as far as graphics and ruleset. At least easier than Go.
    Checkers! ooo I second that
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    TrgEoff, I have recreated my yahoo account, are you getting my messages?
    When I set up Mundu it picked up some old offline msgs from yu (that Verichat had missed). I replied to those, but I havent had any new msgs.

but i have just re-added your account name as in the list (and sent a msg as i did so), because I only had the old one in up until now. so try again from that account and see what happens.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    DAMN!

Thanks for the game. Even the great Fischer or Kasparov knows when to resign (but they don't commit reckless moves like I do. )

Checkers, even that one I have problems. Simple moves yet ...
    bspooky and plaut chess-fu obliterated me. Congrats to both of you! But I will play you guys again.
    hteathope- thanks for the game....maybe you'll win the next one...?

ronbo2000- there's always next time...!!

trgeoff- what kind of game is this..eeh? it seems that knights may prove more valuable than bishops in this closed, but already very interesting game

bspooky- Be4?? the game is now all mine.....
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503 View Post
    trgeoff- what kind of game is this..eeh? it seems that knights may prove more valuable than bishops in this closed, but already very interesting game
    yes, a very different game, 16 moves and not one pawn has bitten the dust! indeed, wont be looking for a knight-bishop trade this game! and our kings are really kicking-back, not being jostled by all their minders.

enjoy!
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Ok, some of you guys are current chess club players and is not saying it. Fess up! I need to find my chess-fu level.
    ???...heh heh....i don't know what you are talking about....??
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast