Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    you guys are hell of rude chess-wise. i can't win!

=)
    I bet you are just checking us out pretending to be a chess newbie to learn our moves and weaknesses.

You then turnaround and re-challenge and beat the c**p out of your opponents.

You know the one thing about playing virtual, I miss the body language part and also the noise making ability to distract the opponent (not legal in real tournaments). Those where the days.

Anyway, with things this slow for Palm to release the real next best upgrade to the Treo, I could live with this diversion.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    I've set-up a yahoo IM account, trgeoff, just for my use with wifight, and Ive added an extra two columns on the list in post #1 to add in such details for anyone else who wants to try chatting while playing.

if so send both your account type and the nick.

I'm still able to use verichat, and it's very neat in that messages appear and can be replied to while you are in another program. Only issue might be that it only sees a limited # of account types (Yahoo, ICQ, AIM and MSN).

I know Mundo is more flexible, but does it let you respond from outside the program, like Verichat? If not the DA approach i noted above may work, or one could just flip between the 2 programs.

also is it still impossible for Mundu to send offline messages to other users? I tried it out 4 months back and was shocked that it couldnt do this.

Or, any suggestions of another IM program better suited to integrate with wf?

(dont know when i will be able to try the chatting, pretty busy with work right now, and I cant login anyway)
    I use Mundu and I get offline messages from Yahoo.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    hey mr brennan, your baby just said its first words!!

....Ronbo2000 and I are having the initial (?) simultaneous chat/game. I'm using the DA approach -wifight is the DA- with Verichat (and textplus to boot), and its working a charm. Ronbo using Mundu, with offline messaging as noted above.

very very cool!!
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Awesome. Can you post a link to where I could get these tools to try out?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    Awesome. Can you post a link to where I could get these tools to try out?
    Accessorizer is by Alex Pruss, from 1src,

http://www.1src.com/freeware/fileinfo.php?id=1674

(I think you need to do the free registration to DL it)

That's 0.91, which I didnt find as stable as my old version, 0.32, which I dont have a link for.

This is a thread on use of Accesorizer

Here's a palmgear link for the other one.

PetitLaunch

You need both in RAM. Create the DA of wifight with Accessorizer (select then, "Generate")

Then open PetitLaunch, choose "Command" (top right menu), click on "New" tab, choose DA (top left menu), scroll to "wifightDA", call it whatever you like in "Command name", click ok

Now, still in PL, set up some button to launch your list of DA's (top left menu, choose "Setting"). I use the 5-way center button (what they call "Select Press&Hold).

From within your IM program, use your PL launch button, this pulls up a little dialog box, type first letters of whatever yu called wifightDA. when full name appears in box, choose it, this will launch wifight. (alternatively within PL -under shortcuts- you can assign a hardkey to a program, works well).

to return to IM program, hit home button of treo.

sound complicated, but works great.

but having said all that, jumping back and forth between my IM program and wifight, WITHOUT going the DA route was pretty good too, this just makes it a little bit slicker.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Feature idea:

Since there are few of us and we aren't all logged in at the same time, how about an email/sms notification feature where you get notified of someone challenging you or it being your turn? Email would prolly be easiest to implement and users could put in their phone's email addy if they wanted an 'sms' to their phone.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Oh yes...and perhaps make it a checkbox (opt in) when creating a game.... and also toggleable (move notification) when in game so if both players get online they don't get spammed with move notifications.
    Can someone explain how the tagyerit game works? I know what tagyerit means but its not one of the game options. How did L1quid get that game????
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I've cross-posted our players' list over at Brennan's Wifight forum, stating that the list names players happy to accept chess challenges. It might help to draw people in.

But if for some reason you are not happy with that, please tell me and I will remove your name.

Have had some great games already this w/e, most notably a 93 move tough, tough, marathon with ronbo2000, including a bit of IM chat thrown in for good measure.

no more program issues from my side.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Just added myself Franko515
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L1quid View Post

=)
    Tell me about it... especially to those of us whose chess-fu is not strong.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    hence my previous request to Brennan:

"can you modify game so that everyone always win? "

which he has strangely ignored....

Anyway, once the awareness of the server grows, and as more people join in....and if a ratings system of some kind can be implemented...then people should be able to pick games against people of similar "chess-fu". That is definitely the most fun, if not always the most instructive!

chess is a humbling game, thats for sure, I have played a bit of club chess, and a lot on the internet, and have suffered many thorough defeats at the hands of people half my physical size (and Im pretty small to begin with!) and a quarter my age.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Please add me to the list: plaut
    tx
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I've edited the top post in the thread with some tips based on some of the collected experience to date, nothing very exciting but it may help some newcomers.

Brennan: Could you double-check it for accuracy?

Ill add in any other suggestions of course.

wifight has been completely stable for me since Friday, have played up to seven games simultaneously!

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by L1quid View Post

=)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Don't get discourage. Chess is a strategy game you can sharpen your strategy skills over time. This does not happen overnight. I get beat by Trgeoff and other players several times but I don't take that badly. I am not a professional chess player. The closes experience on chess matches I had was at school chess club (geeky, right ).

Otherwise, I take each losing game as learning experience. I just wish there's more interaction via chat or otherwise. Virtual mentoring for lower "Chess-fu" levels can be a reality with this app.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    I have been waiting... your turn!
    ...been kinda busy and sorta forgot about wifight.....made my move now.....waiting for your "response".....
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    hey, played or am playing a couple of you as bspooky. feel free to add me to the list.

also am bspooky4fun on aim and have demo of mundu going...but so far no luck talking to buddy wh uses ichat. was hoping to test mundu out too.
    my chess-fu is quite weak too but this has been quite enjoyable so far. a w-l record may be easier to implement than ratings & would be good to see to for all games (assuming backgammon, checkers, etc. would be coming)

of course if you get som flavor of Go going I would consider always having a treo JUST for Go games!
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    hteasthope - thanks for the game.

Even very simple chat/messaging would be a nice addition to this app....
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast