Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, all. Newbie here. Started on a VisorPhone and now on a Kyocera 7135 for the last 4 years. Went to VZW the other day to get my son a cell phone and they talked me into a 700p. I love my 7135. It's been a great phone but it's starting to not be able to do some things I want. I have 2 or 3 critical Palm apps I want to keep, so I figured "why not?" After all, I knew the 700p has been out for over a year, so I figured the bugs must be worked out by now...

Anyway, my shiny new 700p should arrive from VZW any day now but I've been reading up (shoulda done that BEFORE buying!!!) and I see nothing but bad news about the 700p. Is there ANYONE out there using this thing without any problems???? I'm tempted to return this thing without even opening it. After all, at least my 7135 runs all day without locking up.

At first I was excited waiting for my new Smartphone. Now I'm dreading it. Is there any hope?
    Quote Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
    Hi, all. Newbie here. Started on a VisorPhone and now on a Kyocera 7135 for the last 4 years. Went to VZW the other day to get my son a cell phone and they talked me into a 700p. I love my 7135. It's been a great phone but it's starting to not be able to do some things I want. I have 2 or 3 critical Palm apps I want to keep, so I figured "why not?" After all, I knew the 700p has been out for over a year, so I figured the bugs must be worked out by now...

Anyway, my shiny new 700p should arrive from VZW any day now but I've been reading up (shoulda done that BEFORE buying!!!) and I see nothing but bad news about the 700p. Is there ANYONE out there using this thing without any problems???? I'm tempted to return this thing without even opening it. After all, at least my 7135 runs all day without locking up.

At first I was excited waiting for my new Smartphone. Now I'm dreading it. Is there any hope?

LOVE my 700p! If you look at polls on this very forum, about 80% of folks are happy with the device overall. Try it yourself and make your own decision, but don't let the sound and fury influence you.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    its a great phone. this forum is filled with negativity but the phone is excellent seriously.
    My advice is just try it. It works better for some people that others. TRY try and keep trying the heck out of it and see if it works for you. If you are not satisfied return it with 30 days.

Also nice to see an old Visorphone Veteran out there . Glad there are a few of us out there who remember the good ol' days. I personally have had problems out of the box from day 1 but managed to go w/ it to see where it leads. Unfortunately my car is hitting a bumpy road. I might jump ship as much as it pains me but I need a stable device. There are people out there who have ZERO problems out there. Again depends on what you do w/ the phone. Some people live on data constanty, some use bluetooth, others do not. Some people have almost all the memory filled up. I tend to use my phone rather moderately. again all depends on your individual usage.
    Most forums are filled with people who have problems. The people who are happy, don't usually feel the need to post. In any case, the 700P for the most part, is a great device. It does have a few issues, but for many people, the capabilities outweigh the bugs. If you read these forums, you will also find out about all the things your Treo can do. So take the negative with a grain of salt and try to get the most out of your Treo.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I liked my 700p except for the bluetoot problems, otherwise i would still have my 700p.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Even with the occasional bug, I'm tickled snotless with mine. Nothing can touch the 700p for usability. Yup, it ain't perfect, but show me *anything* that is...
    Even the Treo 650 is a quantum leap above the 7135, and you could consider a 650 especially if you're in an area not served by EVDO. I mourned the loss of my 7135 until I saw what the Treo 650 could do.

The Treo 700p network problems should eventually be fixed. I'm not so sure about the bluetooth issues and periodic crashes/freezes, but if you're coming from the 7135 you may not be so bothered by them anyway.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Even the Treo 650 is a quantum leap above the 7135, and you could consider a 650 especially if you're in an area not served by EVDO. I mourned the loss of my 7135 until I saw what the Treo 650 could do.

The Treo 700p network problems should eventually be fixed. I'm not so sure about the bluetooth issues and periodic crashes/freezes, but if you're coming from the 7135 you may not be so bothered by them anyway.
    I agree and disagree.

I went from the 7135 to the Treo 600 and the Treo 650. Now I can claim to love my 650 (which is on it's death bed after over 2 yrs of constant use), but the 7135 was the greatest phone I've ever had! I miss graffitti (used it for yrs from the original Pilot and I was quick and good at it), the clamshell, the IR (I used it as a universal remote), and some of my hacks.

I'm not familar with the 700 yet (now that my 650 is dieing, I'm just looking at the 700). It took me months to get used to the Treo brick, keyboard, and OS changes. I would say try it out, but be prepared for a long adjustment.

You're welcome to PM if you run into some of the probs I did with trying to make it do what the 7135 did (over the yrs I've developed quite a library of hacks and enhancements). Maybe I can ease your transition.

Some things from the start I'm near certain you'll want to look at: Butler, KeyCaps, and KeyShadesHack

Again, I'm in the same boat as you with wondering if the 700 is glitchy, but most users of the 7135 would say it was a glitched phone!

Let me know if I can help.
    All will believe in Him! The question is when!
    A note about up'ing. Make sure you have the latest releases of the applications you use on your 7135 - also make sure you have the registration codes. Then grab an uninstall manager and a good card based backup application. Install the uninstall manager and backup application first, then install your applications one at a time. This is also a great time to clean up your contacts list - manually entering them is a pain, but frankly, when I up'd, I was surprised how many were just not worth keeping.

You need to uninstall the current Palm desktop you are using and install the new one. Make sure you have no files in the backup folder - you do not want anything installed that was on your previous device. You can copy your PIM files to the new desktop folder and sync them, or as I suggested, just do them manually.

There are plenty here to read.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post

My non-MRed 700p works just fine other than occasional loss of BT. The only time it lags is when I'm in an elevator and it loses sync.

While I'm disappointed in Palm's support for this device (and that may lead me to another phone--cough--iPhone--cough next time), my 700p is going strong after 15 months. I plan to keep it for at least another year and will see what Palm comes up with next.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by JKib View Post
    I agree and disagree.

I went from the 7135 to the Treo 600 and the Treo 650. Now I can claim to love my 650 (which is on it's death bed after over 2 yrs of constant use), but the 7135 was the greatest phone I've ever had! I miss graffitti (used it for yrs from the original Pilot and I was quick and good at it), the clamshell, the IR (I used it as a universal remote), and some of my hacks.

I'm not familar with the 700 yet (now that my 650 is dieing, I'm just looking at the 700). It took me months to get used to the Treo brick, keyboard, and OS changes. I would say try it out, but be prepared for a long adjustment.

You're welcome to PM if you run into some of the probs I did with trying to make it do what the 7135 did (over the yrs I've developed quite a library of hacks and enhancements). Maybe I can ease your transition.

Some things from the start I'm near certain you'll want to look at: Butler, KeyCaps, and KeyShadesHack

Again, I'm in the same boat as you with wondering if the 700 is glitchy, but most users of the 7135 would say it was a glitched phone!

Let me know if I can help.
    This is all true. The 7135 was a great phone, and there's a definite learning curve for switching to the Treo. Still, after a month, I didn't miss Graffiti at all. (But watch out for "Treo thumb"). As JKib says, there are different third-party apps that can help you do everything you need and more. Butler is indispensable, IMO, and Chatter Email is marvelous.
    I love my 700p also, and it rarely resets. Yes there are alot of problems posted on this forum, but part of the reason is that people come here for help. Those without any complaints are heard from much less often.
    I did the same thing. I had my samsung i500 replaced with a 700p with the Spring insurance. Then I read all kinds of bad stuff here. I have had my phone for about a month now and I really like it. I just got bluetooth GPS working today and its sweet.
    sure, I have some problems with my 700p, but overall, it's rock-solid. It's sluggish at times, has intermitten network disconnections(post MR, btw), and a few other minor annoyances, but it hasn't crashed (on it's own) in over two months, so I guess in that regard it's acceptable.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503 View Post
    sure, I have some problems with my 700p, but overall, it's rock-solid. It's sluggish at times, has intermitten network disconnections(post MR, btw), and a few other minor annoyances, but it hasn't crashed (on it's own) in over two months, so I guess in that regard it's acceptable.
    I feel the same way post MR with my 700p. Its not perfect but it is working pretty rock solid with MINOR issues that if continues will allow me not to haste in jumping for any near update unless its a real device update offered from Palm. I am patient and can wait for Palm Linux.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    be afraid, be very afraid!
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I've had my 700P since October with no MAJOR issues.

I have many 3rd party apps installed, it is my primary phone, I use it every single day for my calendar, phone, messaging, video, IM, etc.

No offense to those that do but I do not use an uninstall manager, or any backup software, I don't see those as being necessary. I've used several palm devices over the years and syncing has never failed me, I sync at home and at the office.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    The only major issue I ever had was getting VersaMail to work correctly but other than that, my 700P has been excellent but I haven't upgraded to the 1.10 VZW update as well. I enjoy reading the posts on these forums to see what creative things I can do with my Treo
    Nothing but smooth sailing here, as well. I've had my 700p since June, and like the OP just about had a heart-attack when I came here and saw all the critical posts. Fortunately, I must've received one of the few "good" ones, because it's been nothing but rock-solid reliable from day one -- no resets or random slowdows (by "random" I'm refering to slowdowns not caused by network searching). Heck, even Bluetooth works fine, though the volume could be louder. And yes, I'm running a ton of third-party applications.

Now that I've got my 4GB SD card and Seido 2600mAh high-capacity battery, I'm all set until the third-generation iPhone is on Verizon, at which point, later Palm!

Regards,
    Adam
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast