1.    #1  
    Hi,

Can someone please confirm for me whether you can or cannot use auto answer and voice dialling through a BT headset/ handsfree/ car kit? (In my case a BT car handsfree is what I have.)

The Prefs > Connections screen on the Treo certainly seems to say you can. But this support document seems to say otherwise: http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...ase=obj(31719)

So which is it? Thanks.
    Regards,
    Lance <))><
    Cannot use voicedialing through bluetooth. It goes through the speakerphone of your treo
  3.    #3  
    I see ... That's the second piece of bad news you've told me in a few days.

So then, tell me ... Other than hotsync & data transfer between devices, does BT serve any useful purpose on a Treo?

And then, why do we have a Prefs > Handsfree screen that specifies BT handsfree devices, tells you you can setup voice tags, that you should record them from the handsfree, and that "your Treo can be setup to dial using voice tags on Bluetooth handsfree devices"? Guess I must have gone wrong somewhere in my study of English; I certainly would have thought that the above meant you can use voice dialling through a BT handsfree ...

My gripe isn't against you - that would be called "shooting the messenger" wouldn't it. But I'm pretty peeved with Palm right now, and I'm stunned that they haven't had a bucketload of angst about it. (Or maybe they have?)

I rely on voice dialling & auto answer with my BT handsfree, and really would have assumed that if I could do that with an early model BT phone I could do it with a relatively new model smartphone.

So what does that prefs screen do .... ?

(Thanks for listening to my vent.)
    Regards,
    Lance <))><
    Quote Originally Posted by eN0ch View Post
    I see ... That's the second piece of bad news you've told me in a few days.

So then, tell me ... Other than hotsync & data transfer between devices, does BT serve any useful purpose on a Treo?
    Being able to communicate with a Bluetooth GPS is awfully useful. And being able to use Bluetooth stereo headphones (via Softick Audio Gateway) would be nice, if I hadn't broken my cheapo Jensen headphones 10 minutes after opening the box :-(

And then, why do we have a Prefs > Handsfree screen that specifies BT handsfree devices, tells you you can setup voice tags, that you should record them from the handsfree, and that "your Treo can be setup to dial using voice tags on Bluetooth handsfree devices"? Guess I must have gone wrong somewhere in my study of English; I certainly would have thought that the above meant you can use voice dialling through a BT handsfree ...
    I don't understand which Bluetooth car kits support voice tags (would appreciate some clarification by someone who knows, because I'm in the market for a sun-visor car kit which does), but I can tell you that I use these voice tags successfully with my Parrot Easydrive. I went through the process of making these recordings, and for example I call home by saying (to the car kit, not the Treo) "E.T. phone home."

Hope this helps ...
    Last edited by jae_63; 08/29/2007 at 07:51 AM. Reason: grammar
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    but I can tell you that I use these voice tags successfully with my Parrot Easydrive. I went through the process of making these recordings, and for example I call home by saying (to the car kit, not the Treo) "E.T. phone home."

Hope this helps ...
    OK. I read some other stuff yesterday about another Parrot model (BlueDrive?) that seems to work. So can you or someone else tell me what the Parrots have that other brands/models don't, that the Treo needs? Is it that the Parrots store voice tag data on their own drive/memory as distinct from it being stored on the phone (which I gather Treo doesn't do)? If someone could tell me the precise tech term for whatever this feature is, that might help me to track down something that does the job in my part of the world. (I don't think Parrot devices are available in Australia ??)

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Lance <))><
    I don't know this technical information (wish I did, since I need it for the visor car kit that I'd like to get for my wife's car), but it appears that you can buy Parrot products in Australia; I believe that the company is based in Europe, and is quite international in flavor. Try googling: "parrot easydrive bluetooth australia"
    Hmm ... seems that the Parrot Minikit will do what I want.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks! And yes it looks like you're right about Australian availability. No local branch of the company, but clearly available through some retailers and ebay. ... And I wish I'd known about this brand a few years ago. Fraction of the cost of similar-looking units from a local manufacturer!

I'll check it out.
    Regards,
    Lance <))><
  9.    #9  
    Well I've done a bit more google trawling etc, and it now seems to me that there are two options:

1. Download and register 3rd party app "Treo Voice Dialling". (And buy an expansion card to install it, if you have a mac.) All your contacts are then ready for voice dialling, according to exact spelling. When driving you have to pick up your phone and speak into it to initiate the voice dial (and then figure out a way to persuade the policeman that you really weren't talking on your phone without a handsfree whilst driving even though it sure did look like it to him ... ) ... after which you can conduct the call through the BT handsfree.

2. Get a Parrot BT, record the voice tags on that, and use voice dialling without touching the phone.

Can someone please confirm for me that all the above is accurate? Thanks.