Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    The laptop has Windows XP and Outlook XP and connects to the local Exchange server. The handheld syncs over a USB cable and is a Sprint Treo.
    Hotsync is set to sync the handheld and desktop but it keeps making duplicate calendar entries as if it doesn't recognize the appointments already in Outlook.
    It does it every time. For instance, if I sync the calendar 6 times in a row, there will be 6 duplicates of every appointment. It creates an additional duplicate of each appointment at every synchronization.
    If Hotsync is set for the desktop to overwrite the handheld, it works fine, but then I can't sync new appointments that were entered from the handheld.
    DBSCAN didn't find any problems?

What are the likely causes and best fixes?
    Last edited by web1b; 08/27/2007 at 01:30 AM.
    Do you have the latest version of hotsync?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Do you have the latest version of hotsync?
    I went to the Palm site and looked at downloading a new verison of hotsync, but the site warned against using version other than the one on the CD.

"The CD version is the latest version you need. You may encounter issues if you install the version on this page (4.1.4e) after you install the version from your CD (4.2)."
    I'm not exactly sure what you're saying about the sync. You do know that you cannot sync to Outlook via cable, right? Or are you using Pocket Mirror? The only way to sync with Outlook is over the air; cable sync can only be done with Palm Desktop.

Try looking here and entering the solution ID below.

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...almSupportKB,1

Solution ID : 28466
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Maybe it is Palm Desktop then, but I thought I saw hotsync running.
    It's someone else's computer and they are out with it at the moment. I wanted to know where to start with troubleshooting when the laptop comes back.
    I've been syncing just fine with the cable and outlook (but mostly via bluetooth and outlook). The conduits are on the cd.

What does the hotsync log file on your computer report? Is it each and every calendar event? Or only most of them? Do the ones that duplicate also have an alarm associated with them? I find my tasks that have alarms duplicate as outlook shows a modification and the treo also show a modification.

If you find in the log file that it is duplicating due to changes on both devices, you may want to change the default behavior to one overwriting the other in the case of a conflict.

Note: you can get to the log file by right clicking on the hotsync icon in the taskbar.
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    Maybe it is Palm Desktop then, but I thought I saw hotsync running.
    It's someone else's computer and they are out with it at the moment. I wanted to know where to start with troubleshooting when the laptop comes back.
    Hotsync runs, it just doesn't sync calendar and contacts. It does sync memos, pics and programs. And if you are syncing with an Exchange server to get your email (i.e. using Exchange ActiveSync), I will repeat: you cannot sync through the cable. The only way to sync with Exchange is over the air. Looking at the log is a great way to see what the problem is. If you want to check how you are actually syncing, look at the setup in Palm Desktop. If both the calendar and contacts are defaulted to "do nothing" you are syncing through the air. You'll note that if you change them and then sync, the settings will go back to "do nothing". Go to the Palm knowledge base and look at the FAQ's about syncing.

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...almSupportKB,1
    Last edited by davidra; 08/28/2007 at 06:25 AM.
    I sync to outlook 2000 via hotsync cable and have no problems with duplicate entries.

By any chance are you syncing the same calendar with multiple handhelds?

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Syncing to Outlook on your desktop is different than syncing with the Outlook Exchange Server, which was noted in the OP. I promise if you are syncing to an Outlook Exchange server you are not doing it via cable. It won't happen.