Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a heavy palm user, but do not use data for anything. Tried it, didn't like it.
    What if the only data allowed by the Centro was MMS? Maybe a modified version to allow big attachments. All I want is a palm device with a built in radio. I know cell carriers would lose out on this, but why not release a smartphone without data?
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    WTF?

Why would someone want less features? Nobody makes you use the data... you dont have to have on your account and you dont have to use it...
    YOu could you use my first phone from 8 years ago, a Visor phone. A phone and a pda, I want to go there.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    just don't use data. even a Moto RAZR V3 can get data lol
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    The MMS protocol itself does not have a data limitation.

MMS is just a combination of a transport protocol and a presentation protocol, plus the content as video, audio, text or images. WAP or HTTP and SMIL (transport and presentation respectively) are the popular ones protocols.

The carriers put on a system wide restriction. From a business perspective this allows the carrier to profit and keep the servers from going down (more data traffic means more processing power and time as well as more memory and more access to storage).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I'd take one with an antenna. And while you are at it, Palm, please make it slightly thicker. Also, one more thing, make it slightly more curvy (just a little bit would do). I don't want to mention it, but a circular screen would be nice too.
    Smartphones are often used to pull/push email. Don't you need data to get email though? Just use data for that, even if you don't surf too much. I don't use data too much either, since I live off my laptop. No use surfing on a tiny screen with that around. BUT for email away from the laptop, office etc. data is needed.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #8  
    Ouch. Didn't think I would get flamed for mentioning it. Hey Bob, you own a car right? Did you pay for cruise control, etc.? Do you use it much? Same principal. Yeah I would expect the phone to have less features if its a couple hundred dollars less than other models. I'm just suggesting where they could cut corners thats all. I don't use data on my current phone. There are plenty of people on this forum who don't use data but like the combination of a pda and phone. I know other phones can get data, but since they are not "business phones" data is a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by cadman; 08/27/2007 at 06:21 AM.
    I use my cruise control a lot. What's wrong with cruise control? LOL
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Ouch. Didn't think I would get flamed for mentioning it. Hey Bob, you own a car right? Did you pay for cruise control, etc.? Do you use it much? Same principal. Yeah I would expect the phone to have less features if its a couple hundred dollars less than other models. I'm just suggesting where they could cut corners thats all. I don't use data on my current phone. There are plenty of people on this forum who don't use data but like the combination of a pda and phone. I know other phones can get data, but since they are not "business phones" data is a lot cheaper.
    I hope my post didn't sound like a flame. I only meant that push/pull email needs data, I think. At least I know my Blackjack polled for email and pinged the data network all the time until I fixed the settings to poll only once an hour or so, because it got annoying. But if you don't use email, IM or MMS on your phone either, then a data plan is probably unnecessary. The only problem, some carriers insist you get data with certain phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I would like a non-Data version for my daughter. Calendar for school stuff.... and other Palm apps, and a phone if i needed her.

Works for me!

Otherwise, offer a way to truly turn it off. No "accidental" usage. I just want a $9 a months family share plan for it!
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    but every phone can use data now days... Not including it would probably save about 10 bucks in the cost of the device... is that worth it?

Why does almost every car have cruise control? Because its cheap that its better just to include the thing than deal with different models, more parts, etc.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TraecyS/FL View Post
    I would like a non-Data version for my daughter. Calendar for school stuff.... and other Palm apps, and a phone if i needed her.

Works for me!

Otherwise, offer a way to truly turn it off. No "accidental" usage. I just want a $9 a months family share plan for it!
    exactly my reason for posing the question.
    I think this is an ideal device for a student, but allowing mms and not regular data is key. I mean my kids are only 3 yrs old and 4 months, but others who are in middle or high school who want to keep track of their schedules, grades, etc.
    If you don't have a data plan, then no data right?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Sprint won't sell you a Centro without a data plan. Unless you already have a Sprint plan and pay for the phone out right, which Sprint may or may not do.
    Actually Scotty, then data becomes pay as you go and WAY too expensive. At least on ATT.

Get data on ATT if you can, trust me, because they rig many of their phones to "accidentally" press the internet button. You don't want to pay for accidental internet. One time I got a $13 charge for 24 minutes(at least I think it was $13) after I must have hit the Media Net button. If that had happened a lot, it would add up.

Of course, if you stay on Sprint for the Centro, data plans are dirt cheap from what I hear.

Well if you have sprint and you get the Centro, it's $15 a month all you can eat.. I would just pay it, your daughter will prob use the Blazer or Email or IM and will use the data anyway. And data without a data plan is not cheap my friend.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Sprint (and others) need to go back to the $5/mo data OPTION, at least for moderate bandwidth data (2.5G). That is ideal for most people, a little data for emails and occasional surfing at $5/mo. And if you don't want it, fine turn it off (really, not pay-as-you-go).
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Sprint (and others) need to go back to the $5/mo data OPTION, at least for moderate bandwidth data (2.5G). That is ideal for most people, a little data for emails and occasional surfing at $5/mo. And if you don't want it, fine turn it off (really, not pay-as-you-go).
    (1) Sprint doesn't have 2.5g. That is EDGE. Sprint has 2g (1x) and 3g (EvDO)

(2) They don't/can't differentiate between the two for billing e.g. their system does not pick up which technology you are using (1x or Ev) so they can't charge you for one and not the other. It's just all data: either off or unlimited.

(3) If you don't want it, just have them remove data from your service or never add it in the first place

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    On ATT, without a data plan, you get prompted on the 680 when data is about to get used. I don't remember what the message is, but I played with my wife's 680 to make sure she couldn't accidentally get on data and clean out the bank account by staying connected. I got a alert message about opening a data connection or something. I thought that was very nice considering they would welcome the accidental $35 charge. I agree with cadman some people just don't need data.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast