Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @cadman: I am not trying to flame. I just want to make sure that you understand how MMS works.

As for data/no-data, at least on Verizon, you don't *have* to get a data plan and you can even get pay-as-you-go data turned off. Unfortunatly, I think that affects MMS as well (I have not checked since I have PAYG Data that I don't use).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    It's like getting a BMW but only drive it under 65mph.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    @cadman: I am not trying to flame. I just want to make sure that you understand how MMS works.

As for data/no-data, at least on Verizon, you don't *have* to get a data plan and you can even get pay-as-you-go data turned off. Unfortunatly, I think that affects MMS as well (I have not checked since I have PAYG Data that I don't use).
    I know you weren't. No worries. Yeah on verizon disabling data also disables mms. Thats why I use a program called battery dr. to disconnect immediately if it detects a data connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    In my congested and ticket happy area, that's all you can do anyway!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I don't compare EVDO to the driving experience over 65 of a BMW...maybe next gen 4G can get it there for me.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Sprint is certainly better than Verizon, in terms of data cost. However, on Verizon, (I assume also on Sprint and other CDMA networks), if you don't have a data plan, you can't send mms. Yes you can send text, but the mms is somehow tied to the data. So, if this phone is designed for the "younger" crowd, they want mms. Unfortunately, many parents, myself included, don't want to pay for a data plan for their teenager.

I see what you mean Cadman. You (and I and others) want the capability to have the Centro without a data plan, but with the ability to send mms as part of the messaging package.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I don't compare EVDO to the driving experience over 65 of a BMW...maybe next gen 4G can get it there for me.
    I wasn't even referring to EVDO, I was referring to getting a keyboard phone and not use data at all. You need data plan to send and receive email, and to avoid the text message charge.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Sprint is certainly better than Verizon, in terms of data cost. However, on Verizon, (I assume also on Sprint and other CDMA networks), if you don't have a data plan, you can't send mms. Yes you can send text, but the mms is somehow tied to the data. So, if this phone is designed for the "younger" crowd, they want mms. Unfortunately, many parents, myself included, don't want to pay for a data plan for their teenager.

I see what you mean Cadman. You (and I and others) want the capability to have the Centro without a data plan, but with the ability to send mms as part of the messaging package.
    EXACTLY!!!
    With Sprint, at least with one of the phones on my account (non-Treo), you can turn off Vision so it's not able to access it. This would be good for those with children that don't want them forcing you to take out a 2nd mortgage.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I am a heavy palm user, but do not use data for anything. Tried it, didn't like it.
    What if the only data allowed by the Centro was MMS? Maybe a modified version to allow big attachments. All I want is a palm device with a built in radio. I know cell carriers would lose out on this, but why not release a smartphone without data?
    Why not make a car without AC? After all, i could just roll down the windows and get fresh air...

If there is no data, how would you get to download the "big attachments" you're talking about?

So the target market of the Centro are going to leave their data-centric Sidekicks and Helio Oceans and so forth (email, online music, always-on I.M e.t.c) for a device with only voice calling?

If you don't want data, don't pay for it or use it. Palm doesn't have to exclude that feature from a device in this day and age.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    exactly my reason for posing the question.
    I think this is an ideal device for a student, but allowing mms and not regular data is key. I mean my kids are only 3 yrs old and 4 months, but others who are in middle or high school who want to keep track of their schedules, grades, etc.
    If my kid in "middle" and "high school" has that much of a busy life and wants to keep track of his/her schedule and or grades, there's always a notepad in their school bag or the family computer at home.

Last time i "hung" with my nephew and niece, they weren't concerned with keeping track of their schedule or grades on a mobile device but rather on the computer at home, with their parents supervising.

They'd much rather I.M all day, text all day (i get almost 500 from them a month), myspace this and myspace that, online clips and so forth....
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  12.    #32  
    Everyone needs to relax. Seriously.
    Maybe the carriers can offer software that only allows MMS without data plans. Remember when you could mms ringtones? But now you can't? And your kid may use paper, but I am reading more and more, as well as my neighbor is getting a pda through the school district. Colleges are giving out ipods. All I am trying to do is figure a way to control the data while allowing a kid to still use messaging....
    The AC theory doesn't fly because on lower end cars its an OPTION, not standard.
    Maybe the device can have it, but at 99.00 I am just questioning it thats all. If you want data, move up to a higher model.
    I wasn't even referring to EVDO, I was referring to getting a keyboard phone and not use data at all. You need data plan to send and receive email, and to avoid the text message charge.
    My complete Bad.
    at&t iPhone3G
    For Cadman: Control data costs? If you're on Sprint, the $15 all you can use data is actually a very good deal.

Or is there another reason why you don't want your kid to use data, like security?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Everyone needs to relax. Seriously.
    Maybe the carriers can offer software that only allows MMS without data plans. Remember when you could mms ringtones? But now you can't? And your kid may use paper, but I am reading more and more, as well as my neighbor is getting a pda through the school district. Colleges are giving out ipods. All I am trying to do is figure a way to control the data while allowing a kid to still use messaging....
    The AC theory doesn't fly because on lower end cars its an OPTION, not standard.
    THe AC analoge works becuase you can't actually buy an AC-less car off the lot. It's just a way for some car makers (read: Toyota) to list the lowest price on the newspaper to sucker you into the store. You CAN'T actually find a Corolla without the AC unless you order it.

Maybe the device can have it, but at 99.00 I am just questioning it thats all. If you want data, move up to a higher model.
    Cadman:" If I want data, I would move up to a higher model."
    Sprint: "If you don't want data, you can move down to a lower "free" phone."

BTW its not an ideal phone for students, give it up.
  16.    #36  
    THe AC analoge works becuase you can't actually buy an AC-less car off the lot. It's just a way for some car makers (read: Toyota) to list the lowest price on the newspaper to sucker you into the store. You CAN'T actually find a Corolla without the AC unless you order it.

Cadman:" If I want data, I would move up to a higher model."
    Sprint: "If you don't want data, you can move down to a lower "free" phone."

BTW its not an ideal phone for students, give it up.

Lose the attitude whatever7.

It was just a suggestion. Not everyone needs data. Not everyone wants sprint and the sero service.
    I bet you if I went to a ford or gm dealership and asked for a basic pickup the one they show me doesn't have ac.
    Reason I don't use data is because I am on verizon, and get better service and reception with verizon instead of sprint. It may be a difference of 600 to use sprints data vs verizon, but if I were to use data, I would stick with verizon. I personally have no need for data, but use pda's extensively. That is why I went to the kyocera pda before going to a treo.
    I guess what I really wish is that MMS and data could be two separate data charges.
    Is the Centro for only Sprint or Verizon also?

18.    #38  
    I don't know.
    Anyhow water under the bridge.
    A friend just picked up a wx last night and I told him about the forums.
    Hope he doesn't read this thread LOL
    I can't imagine having any phone these days without offering a Data capability/plan. My wife uses Gmail all the time on her Razr as well as browsing the web. Any phone without data would be dead on arrival.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Well if you have sprint and you get the Centro, it's $15 a month all you can eat.. I would just pay it, your daughter will prob use the Blazer or Email or IM and will use the data anyway. And data without a data plan is not cheap my friend.
    I can assure you my daughter would not use Blazer, IM or email.

LOL, she doesn't send email on the computer or do IM and doesn't have free access to the web

She'd just have a Zire if i couldn't get it without data!

Tracey.... the mean mom (she's just starting 6th grade, has a Migo and is happy now!)
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast