Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    OK, I was browsing the net and came across this port for Duke Nukem 3D (http://www.metaviewsoft.de/en/Softwa...3D/index.html). Noticing that some of the posts I found around on this are as old as 3 years, I was wondering if anyone can confirm if this (and other ports like it) are safe to play on a 700p, or are they prone to causing crashes and such. Just having gotten mine recently, I'm a little reticent to put it in harm's way, and would prefer to hear from those who have tried it. Thanks in advance.
    Yes it is really safe, might wanna use a program called UDMH from www.palmpowerups.com. I dont think the 700P has enough dynamic heap to run this, and this program lets you use more ram and use it as Dynamic heap. But its a great game!
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Sweet. Pardon my ignorance, but what is "Dynamic heap"?
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I caught the guy's YouTube of it being played on a Tungsten T (which I had prior to my Treo), so wouldn't have thought that there'd even be a hardware issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    Sweet. Pardon my ignorance, but what is "Dynamic heap"?
    It's basically the ram which is avaliable to the program to use for internal processes and such. It's not really a hardware issue. PalmOS has some limitations in it which prevent software from being to address more than a given amount of memory (how much I don't recall)

UDMH is a work-around which circumvents this and allows the program to access more memory.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    (Thanks much for all the info).

So, do I have to own the actual game for this type of port to work? Or is it "all included" within the download? On that note, is that how ports in general work?
    Slightly off-topic, but I've been running Atari ST games on my Treo for many months thanks to an emulator program called CaSTaway. I can run "Dungeon Master", "Sundog" and dozens of other Atari ST classics.

The emulator is amazing. The biggest problems with running these games are (1) The Palm screen is too tiny to see all the details or
    (2) Joystick or Mouse emulation via stylus and Treo buttons can be kinda clunky.

But its still a joy to actually have these ST classics in my pocket.