Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    No worries....I'm done venting, and I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.....I really wasn't trying to. Anyway after almost two months since the MR has been released for Verizon, several things seem to be pretty clear from all of the hundreds of posts in all of the dozens of threads:

1) It's both an EVDO and a 1xRTT problem. My own experience is that while my phone showed a constant "EV" signal, it was actually bouncing back and forth between EVDO and 1x per my Network repair tech. The problem seems to be when the phone tries to reacquire the EVDO network, and is rejected. This would happen especially often in "weaker" EVDO areas like my office.
    2) that the problem varies from location to location,
    3) that some have initially had luck with Verizon replacement units, but that some reported the troubles came back,
    4) that some had luck resetting their data connection, although some reported that the troubles came back,
    5) that some have tried returning to the factory default data settings using their MSL, which worked for some but not others, and
    6) that for many of us nothing has worked.

There is really nothing to do (or even talk about) at this point except wait for Verizon to release an update to the MR, tell us that they have tweaked the Network so this doesn't happen, or release the 755p (assuming it doesn't have the same data connection problems). In the meantime, I'm on my 2nd month of asking for data connection service credit back from Verizon, which they have been very willing to give me.
    Thanks, I have a fringe area probably about 10 minutes north & west of me, and then a non-EVDO city (I think, i should recheck the coverage map). I'll have to venture up there and see what happens. We are about a mile as the crow flies from the Verizon store & Circuit City (which are across the street from one another). OUr signal for phone was marginal here until the V store opened. We weren't EVDO until "recently" (my Dad has a 6700), and it appears to be pretty decently covered.

I guess the "old people" in The Villages probably have some former V execs among their numbers

I seriously need to know if the phone is going to fail me when i need it. I normally travel between here and ORlando, but that will shift in the coming months to between here and Gainesville. Looks like i'll hit a 1x area then.

All said, i'm worried about the new phone - which, for the record, didn't show up today like that lady promised. HMPH. But mainly, if the battery life would be useable, i'll take 1x back!

Keep calling for the refund - money talks!
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Go figure -- my home area, Santa Barbara, CA, is 1x and my 700p constantly can't connect. Error 3000 etc. Since Monday I've been on the southern Oregon Coast where it is 1x and Extended Network, and it has connected, and stayed connected without error almost every time.

GD
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Over the last few days I have had no Error 3000 issues in the same areas I had been getting them. Occasional time outs but I was getting these occasionally before the MR.
    Actually I suspect the battery and network problems are related: the phone is probably trying to connect, and that causes the battery to drain.

In any case, I'm very happy - in an odd way - to stumble across this thread, because my wife's new Treo has been having exactly these problems (we're in Los Angeles). My Treo will get right on, and hers will have the 3000 problems and be very slow once it finally gets on. That's with the two phones right next to each other.

So it makes sense that different firmware versions would be the reason, because hers is new and mine is almost a year old.

Next question: how do I revert her firmware? And in fact where do you check the ROM version?

TIA
    By the way, this exact problem is why I visited the forum today - point being that this is a real problem.
    Well I hate to be a Pollyanna, but I've had my replacement Verizon 700p for over a week now with absolutely no problems (knock on wood!)
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    Well I hate to be a Pollyanna, but I've had my replacement Verizon 700p for over a week now with absolutely no problems (knock on wood!)
    I have gone nearly two weeks now with only the odd error 3000 and I am a very heavy data user. IMO, Verizon did something on their end as I'm simply not seeing the problem any longer.

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting! View Post
    I have gone nearly two weeks now with only the odd error 3000 and I am a very heavy data user. IMO, Verizon did something on their end as I'm simply not seeing the problem any longer.

TKOS
    TKOS-- where are you located? I'm thinking about trying a 700p again, based on your experience-- Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting! View Post

TKOS
    I'll say its nothing more than a crapshoot. I went to San Francisco this labor day weekend and I was getting more than average error 3000s than I had in my local home area. And just for the record I travelled to every part of the Bay from North East to South West. I can't say for certain at VZW Did something on their end but I know the problem still exists for me in 2 major metro areas. And when I don't get an error 3000 the application in usage just complains that it cannot get to the internet. I try, try try try again until I eventually get back on (Phone on/off,soft resets). While during that time my vzw aircard works as solid as long as I get a cell signal.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    Knocking on wood here, but since I received my replacement 700p with 1.10 "factory loaded", I have been in Atlanta, New York, Destin, FL, Providence, RI and today I'm in Baltimore today (no data access yet...) and I've not had a single data issue.

Still the occasional lag between button presses and response, but I've grown fairly accustomed to this...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westjohnson View Post
    Knocking on wood here, but since I received my replacement 700p with 1.10 "factory loaded", I have been in Atlanta, New York, Destin, FL, Providence, RI and today I'm in Baltimore today (no data access yet...) and I've not had a single data issue.

Still the occasional lag between button presses and response, but I've grown fairly accustomed to this...
    You have it good. My replacement unit has given me Error 3000 aplenty just roaming within the same city! And it is probably me but the lag on this new phone is worse than the one I sent back to Verizon. It could very well be psycological stuff, but heck! It is still unacceptable.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    i'm wondering...

Is there a way you can set the preferences so the phone Always uses 1x, and never, ever tries to use EVDO? For those who move in and out of EVDO areas, this might be a band-aid until (if) the problem of network conectivity (error 3000) is fixed. I know this is disabling a feature the phone should have, but you would at least have more memory available than a 650.

Is this possible, and would it work?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12