Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The 755p is suppose to be the last of the palm old os platform. The next they are saying is the linux version. But how long do you think the 755p will be around? I love this phone and the applications. I do not know how much to invest in additional 3rd party app. if it will not be around very long. If this is the last of its kind, how long would they keep them on the market? I have invested in about 4 app. and before I invest anymore I am wondering if I am painting myself into a corner. I would like to know how long before they would pull them from the market. I know I will keep this phone until it breaks and get insurance to replace. But if it is replace with a newer phone wonder what my time line would be?????? Just wondering
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    My guess (hope!) would be a new phone for Christmas time.

I'd expect that all the Palm apps will have some sort of upgrade path to the new phone. Some companies will offer the Linux version free for registered users, others will add a few new features and charge for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hearttx View Post
    The next they are saying is the linux version. But how long do you think the 755p will be around?
    I debated this before upgrading from my 650 to my new 755p. The NEW linux version is always just around the corner. Also, the first one that comes out is going to be buggy as heck (the 755p is not that much different then the 650 and it still has bugs, granted much more stable, but still not flawless).

So I went ahead and got the 755p with a Sprint SERO plan, so I'm am committed to my 755p for 2 years. When that is up the new Linux Palm will hopefully have been out for long enough that a lot of the bugs are fixed AND all the software I own and love on my 650/755p will have linux versions.

I got the 650 when it first came out and didn't like being a free beta tester for palm...So even if the linux palm came out TOMORROW and Sprint offered to TRADE my 755p for it, I would still wait.
    I was an extremely buyer on the Sprint Treo 600 when it first came out (one of the first here in Honolulu) and even though it had some problems, I did not regret it. The device from the beginning was stable, it took the developers a bit to catch up.

Ben
    In technology the next best thing is always around the corner, so if I see an app I like now, I’m buying it…

I don’t think we will see a Linux version of the Treo, until after the fooleo flops, and the Centro has its little run… so summer 08 or later is my guess for the Linux Treo… Then you have to take into account the amount of time it will take for the 3rd party developers to catch up… Even if the Linux version is backwards compatible, there will be bugs, and the apps will have to be re-written… For example look at Vista & XP… Vista maybe the newer of the two o/s, but XP is more functional of the two, because a lot of s/w & h/w doesn’t work on vista…
    HTC Touch Pro
    I believe in my Treo 900p!
    I will beta test it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I believe in my Treo 900p!
    I will beta test it.
    Perry, hadn't seen you in ages. I was at a Smokey Bones in Grand Rapids (on 28th St.) a few weeks ago during a big MG meet at the Hilton next door. A phone rang at the table next to me with the treo ring, and I thought later that what if it were you. Just thought I'd bring that up.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Hi Rick !

I have been AWOL.

BTW . . . . it wasn't me at Smoky's.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hi Rick !

I have been AWOL.

BTW . . . . it wasn't me at Smoky's.

Cheers, Perry.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post

Hmmmm . . . . . . Why did I have to be your 666th post?

LOL
    Perry, did you go with the 755 or the iphone this year?
    Ah, I see. Perry has taken the 5th.
    The 755p came out in April. Treos usually get about an 18 month run, and the 755p has been for the most part quite stable so its a good chance that it will go about that far. After that, who knows.

As for the new OS, it will not effect the 755p any more than it already has. If you have the 755p now, or considering it, go for it if it meets your needs. If not, wait till the newer Treos come and rock from there.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Perry, did you go with the 755 or the iphone this year?

Hi treobk214!

I went with the 755 due to my 10 year library of Palm OS applications that have become part of my life. As well, I have a SERO plan with Sprint. So a decision on a new device is not just soley a feature for feature comparison for me.

The avatar got the iPhone for her 17th birthday this past June and calls it "freakin awesome."

We will see how the "900P" compares to the market place in 2008.

Cheers, Perry.
    Hey Perry. It's good to see you back again. Did the avatar display the same look of sheer, unbridled joy upon opening up her new iphone for the first time? LOL.

I've looked at the 755 since I really need to upgrade from my 650, but I think I'm going to wait for your 900P or ALP that is. If wimax is onboard, I'm there

How do ya like the 755 by the way?
    Last edited by treobk214; 08/27/2007 at 09:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Hey Perry. It's good to see you back again. Did the avatar display the same look of sheer, unbridled joy upon opening up her new iphone for the first time? LOL.

I've looked at the 755 since I really need to upgrade from my 650, but I think I'm going to wait for your 900P or ALP that is. If wimax is onboard, I'm there

How do ya like the 755 by the way?

The switch to the 755P was somewhat accidental. I had intended on keeping the 700P until my Treo 900P (Palm over LinuxOS) came out. My daughter got our first 700P when they were first for sale. After the 755P came out, but before the 700P maintenance release, her 700P locked up. All of my efforts were to no avail -- so I took it into my Sprint store. They verified that they could not fix it and gave me a 755P as a replacement -- as they were out of 700P replacements and did not know when they would be getting more. Daughter at this point -- just wanted a smaller dumb phone -- so I swapped the 755P to my line.

LOL, I thought I would, but I do not miss my 700p antenna pull. I like the slimmer feel and the grippy paint. I have seen none of the 700P's resets or freezes, but I do get an occassional lag going out of the Internet. Battery life almost feels identical to the 700P for me -- I believe they tweeked the power management and usage to accomplish this. I did like my 4GB SD card, but I am now using 3 2GB mini's. . . . 1 main, 1 for music and 1 for movies.

I bought a Palm horizontal belt clip that has a pocket inside. . . . carries the extra SDs just fine and removal is easy -- even without the antenna pull.

Would I pay $559 for one if I had a 700P? No.

Would I pay $300 for one if I had a 700P? No.

Would I take one as a replacement? Certainly.

Cheers, Perry.
    Hi Perry,

Great to see you back!

I'm with Sprint also with an older Treo 650. Works well but no EVDO!

If you were in my shoes, would you pay going rate for 755P and trade up?

Or would you wait for the 900P?

Again, great to see you back!

Calvin
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I would trade up. Sell your 650 on ebay. EVDO is awesome and I think the form fact is a lot different than most people make it out to be.
    Hi Calvin!

The 900p may be 9 to 12 months away.(Even though I bet on 2/29/08.)

So guage from that. My Sprint store has the 755p for $199 at the moment for a 2 year contract. However, the stores cannot 'deal' . . . . for those in contract . . . . so I would call retentions and see what you can negotiate.

EVDO is great.

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry, that's pretty much the only way I could end up with a 755 myself. My 650 would have to die on me. I wouldn't pay $399 or $199 either, but its a good replacement for the 650 if its free.

I'm curious as to how the linux os will expand on what the garnet os is capable of right now. If multitasking, wifi, and wimax can be combined into a stable device with good battery life, we'd be looking at a real contender there.

I have to say I'm pretty sour on palm right now though and I'm not expecting much. Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised. We will see on 2/29/08
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast