1.    #1  
    My headphone plug, or at least the very top piece of it, has broken off inside the 700p jack. Do any of you mechanically-inclined people have any ideas about how best to fix this?
    If you apply a small drop of super glue to the remaining piece of the jack, re-insert it into the socket, wait 10 minutes, then remove it, does it also withdraw the troublesome piece? You surely want to avoid any extra glue in the socket which might cause further problems.

If the glue approach does not work, you can remove the main circuit board by removing the Torx screws from the backside then disassembling (this is easy and only requires one size of Torx screwdriver-- bring your Treo to a hardware store and get the appropriate tool if you don't have one on hand). You could then access the socket directly to push the stuck tip from the back side of the connector housing. If you can't directly access the interior of the socket due to the plastic structure of the socket, one method to access the inside is to heat a needle with a butane flame (while holding the opposite end of the needle with a pair of pliers) then insert the hot needle through the plastic to access the inside of the socket. With this approach, you should be able to penetrate the plastic housing sufficiently to push out the tip.

-b
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, the glue idea scares me in terms of causing new problems, but torx screws seem within my very limited capability.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcGuire View Post
    My headphone plug, or at least the very top piece of it, has broken off inside the 700p jack. Do any of you mechanically-inclined people have any ideas about how best to fix this?
    How about accessing the top of the jack via the battery compartment? You can see the top of the jack when you remove the battery. At least that's how it works on my 700p.
    @aixguru: good point, my 700 wx also allows one to extract a broken 2.5mm tip from the battery compartment. It's nice to see some of the old Palm design still lingering in the newer models.

I was going to suggest this type of approach:
    http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2005/...treo-part.html
    but removing the battery is probably a bit quicker to implement

-b
  6.    #7  
    You guys are great; it was a piece of cake. Thanks so much!
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm reviving it to say "THANK YOU" to the folks involved here. A plug tip also broke off in my 700wx, and I could see the tip after removing the battery. A paper clip was all it took to extract the tip. Many, many thanks.