1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but in spite of being a very experienced netizen, I've just spent four hours trying to get custom ringtones onto my Alltel 700p. Sprint users have it relatively easy, in that the Sprint User uploader "Just Works." Us Verizon and Alltel users have a much more convoluted path to follow. The post quoted below, from http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=116451, was what did it for me. I'm re-posting this specifically with ALLTEL in the title, so that maybe it'll be a little easier for the next person to find .

To actually add something, I thought I'd explain Step 1 a little better, as it's what really hung me up.

1. Convert your [mp3, m4a, mp4, etc] to a WAV file. Do the best quality available for the software you're using. I used QuickTime Pro on XP, so Stereo, 16 bit, 48KHz, Best conversion. Why are we doing this? Because neither QT Pro nor iTunes export "real" AAC files; both will ONLY export AAC inside an MPEG wrapper (mp4/m4a/m4b ad nauseum), and FAAC (below) will ONLY convert WAVs.
    2. Get hold of FAAC. Linux and OSX users shouldn't have much trouble; <DEL>Windows users will need to download and run the Cygwin Setup available here: http://cygwin.com. You should be able to get away with a pretty minimal install; just make sure you find and select FAAC. (If this makes no sense to you, sorry; you'll need to find another way to convert to AAC).</DEL> EDIT: Duh. Windows users should be able to find a FAAC binary at http://www.rarewares.org
    3. CRUCIAL!! The end-result file MUST BE "Low Complexity" profile, and not "Main" profile (or any other). This one hung me up (my own fault, as by the time I found this post, I was just wildly setting options in frustration ) This is the FAAC (version 1.25) command-line I used:
      Code:
      faac --mpeg-vers 4 whatever.wav
      Using MPEG version 4 should theoretically net you smaller file size and higher quality; it did for me. (Side note: FAAC does VBR by default, so no worries there.)

Important note: HotSync is almost certainly not going to work. Drop your .amr files onto your SD card and proceed as indicated (I had no luck with email).

Now just follow the rest of the steps below, exactly as stated.

I hate making a new thread for this, but it took me a while to figure this out and I wanted to share.

For some reason my verizon 700p dosen't know how to deal with aac files, so I had to trick it into working. You need Filez or a similar program to make it work properly. Here's a little guide:

1. (Already done above) Convert your file to a VBR aac. Aac in a m4a wrapper will not work, neither will ABR for some reason.
    2. Change the file extentsion from .aac to .amr (which the phone will recognize), then email the file to yourself, send it over bluetooth or IR, or put it on an SD card.
    3. Open the file and accept it into "Vioce Memo". The memo won't play, but you can go to menu and hit "Copy to Ringtone". Do so. You can delete the vioce memo now if you want.
    4. Open Filez and find the new ringtone. It will have a name like "TON-{name}" and a creator of "HsTo". Go to details and change the type from "AMRf" to "AACf" keeping case in mind.

That's it! I have a few ringtones working, and they sound really good!
    For the curious; I converted the first 20 secs or so of Radiohead's "Packt Like Sardines...", "Street Spirit...", and "Subterranean Homesick..." from my personal .M4A collection. They make much better ringtones than one might think...
    Last edited by quaestor; 09/09/2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: update to FAAC info for Windows users