Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    If the Centro meets or exceeds may of the 680's specs I would take that as a very good sign. One could make the case that the Centro is an "entry level" device. $99 for a smaller more compact device that exceeds the flagship. What additional upgrades will the 800 series have to set it that much further above the Centro to justufy it as the new flagship model???

If on the Centro you get a camera upgrade, BT 2.0, Wifi and 320 x 320 these are most of what of what everyone had on thier wish list.

What does that leave for the 800 series??? Mini USB, even better camera, POSII, more memory, GPS?? Maybe depending on feedback from the smaller keyboard a way to make the screen larger. Dual GSM / CDMA. I know I missed some items on the wish list, but I think this covers the ones most talked about.

One would think that the possibilties for the 800 series would be very interesting indeed, realistic and here in the "relative" near future.
    I would give 2:1 odds on a VGA camera.

Surur
    and I doubt that they're gonna include docs2go here too.
    I'll bet (as long as there are odds) that this phone is nothing more than a 755p in a different body. The 755 is already down to $199. I think the next big upgrade the Treo, for people like us, will be wifi, gps, more memory and maybe a larger screen to get all us crazies to shell out big bucks for it when it comes out.
    Last edited by RickMG; 08/26/2007 at 09:34 AM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    ...nothing more than a 755p in a different body.
    Lots of mobile phone purchase decisions are based on looks.

"Slim"

"No Antenna"

Besides, I think Nokia/ Samsung/ Motorolla all have devices differentiated only by looks.
    I wonder if the Centro is it for the Garnet OS. When the 800 comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if it was released as a WM6 device only at first, and POSII later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I wonder if the Centro is it for the Garnet OS. When the 800 comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if it was released as a WM6 device only at first, and POSII later on.
    One can only hope. Palm should have taken the Palm OS out to pasture along time ago. The 680 should have been the last Garnet device.

Even as a WM aficionado, I am looking forward to the next Palm OS. I agree with Engadget and think that Palm should spend less time making the new OS backwards compatible and think about improving the interface with new and innovative ideas. Just throwing some pretty 3d icons isn't going to cut the mustard.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Really?

Sounds about right to me. The Motorola Q is $449.00 no contract. With a new contract it's $149. Same $300. It seems all the subsidies are about $300 ($609 for the 700wx, $299 with contract).
    Not usually that much actually. In the case of the Q, Moto gained and then lost a ton of money because they were being subsidised so much. Most phones, non-smartphones come in at the 200-250 range. 300 isn't out of the question but is defintiely not the norm as far s I've seen.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    For even having a Treo on your belt, you are a nerd . My Treo fits nice and snug in my trouser pocket. Never understood putting things like phones on belt clips and so forth..

Unlike you, not everyone can wear clown pants to work.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post

LMAO!! That's really funny.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)

Ha!
    HTC Touch Pro
    Too funny.

Regarding the new Centro picture... it damn-sure looks better than the white one. It's kind of a funky design, though. Those buttons look like pure-bred thumb-eaters.

Perhaps it's just another example of survival-of-the-fittest? Either human evolution will adapt, growing HUGE THUMB MUSCLES attached to tiny lil thumbs, or all of our thumbs will lock up and fall off due to a newly-discovered ailment crudely labeled the Centro Syndrome. Sadly, this trait will be passed along to our children and the world as we know it will never be the same.

*cue Twilight Zone-ish music*

Or maybe I just need some caffeine, this morning.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Perhaps it's just another example of survival-of-the-fittest? Either human evolution will adapt, growing HUGE THUMB MUSCLES attached to tiny lil thumbs, or all of our thumbs will lock up and fall off due to a newly-discovered ailment crudely labeled the Centro Syndrome. Sadly, this trait will be passed along to our children and the world as we know it will never be the same.
    It seems the assimilation has already begun
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    It seems the assimilation has already begun
    Hehehe. I think I heard about that on TC's podcast. Some part of me is mildly disappointed that ... (highlight to read -->>) ...it turned out to be a hoax. (<<-- highlight to read)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Looks good... Is it safe to assume that the GSM model will be forthcoming???

You mean this is not acceptable at your workplace?

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/...ion/57383.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
    You mean this is not acceptable at your workplace?

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/...ion/57383.jpeg

"Yo! I keep my bigaZZ Treo in my bigaZZ clown pants whenever I'm at work. At the circus.

HAMMERTIME!!!"

- MC Hammer*
    (former rap god, current elephant dung disposal engineer and Treo 700p user)

*Past president E.D.D. Engineers Association of America
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    The "flagship" treo 680 is free right now after rebates... So the centro doesnt need to be stripped down, it can and should be more feature filled than a free treo.

And I wouldnt consider the 680 its flagship device either, but the 755p or 750 instead.
    i wanna lick it
    Wow!! I really like the looks of the Centro. I would love to know what the dimensions are. Right now I have a Moto Q, but have been having alot of problems with it lately. If the Centro has anywhere close the features of the 700p (or heck even my old 650), I will get one and dump my Q. I really miss some of the old programs I used to use (especially Chatter).
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234