Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    I hope the specs are up to par.

I want to get rid of my big, heavy Treo 700p and get something smaller with a QWERTY keyboard. Something that I can just slip into my pants pocket so I stop looking like a complete nerd with the Treo in a belt holster (specficially when I'm out at nights and weekends).

Please, PALM, come through for me!
    big, heavy Treo....

and it seems like there's still too much wasted space between the keyboard and screen...do the green/red buttons have to be that big?

it does seem like a step in the right direction though....a different finish would help its popularity too.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I am new to smartphones, heck I do not even own one yet, but having just lost my Palm TX, I think this could be worth waiting for.

Andy
    Just posted this at BH, but considering that my "predicted weekend leak" has now come, I figure that to break down the photo would be at least some bit of fun:

Here are some quick notes now that I've compared this with my 680 (and that shot is near actual size of the device):
    - take the 680/750/755, lop off the top of the device (everything above the screen) then you have the height
    - the device as a whole is about as wide as the SCREEN of the aformentioned Treos
    - it looks as if the rear is flat: this would mean that the Centro is nearly 2/3 less plump of the aformentioned Treos
    - the IM app is the same one that came with the 755p; from my reocllection, it is showing the same amount of info, so this being a hi-res screen is most likely correct; note, this is a photoshopped screenshot so don't take that one as law
    - the keyboard will be cramped for a lot of people, but there seems to be a new design to the keys making them just as easy to type on, will have to see about getting a review unit to test that part of things
    - the 5way while nice, will be a problem, its too small and there's not enough rim for directional activities.
    - thankfully the send/end buttons are not wrap arouneds
    - the side buttons are the same as on my 680, except that the voice recorder button on the Centro is a good bit smaller

THis device being called a Treo 500 would seem to fit. My hope is that the battery that ships is at least the same as the one that shipped in the 680, if not the Seido one that was just released that was OEM size (its more squared off, just as the 755p's battery was).

There you have one of the two fall releases that Palm normally does. Either the Foleo or a new Treo would be the other IMO.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    some measurements of the device has already been posted. Apparently its 18.2 mm thick, so not exactly 2/3 thinner.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I don't know the answer but my take is that it is more reluctance on the part of T-Mobile and AT&T to offer such a device versus Palm not wanting to offer one. You figure one carrier is going to get an exclusive for a period of time, then after that, all bets are off. It's really up to the carriers what they sell since we know Palm makes devices to sell worldwide.
    It's because UMTS/HSDPA require an OS capable of inherent multitasking (simultaneous voice and data). EVDO Rev. 0 only carries data and does cannot support active data and active voice at the same time.
    Hello all, this is the exact device we leaked back in June, in black Gandolf.
    http://morningpaper.typepad.com/morn...andolf_in.html

The very one we were called everything under the sun for. I was recently tipped off to a whole treocentral D-Board thing with someone named "slinky", so I understand now why i was attacked here for the photo. But, the price point we were told is $200, our source says that is still the case, $99 is a possible introductory rebate.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    some measurements of the device has already been posted. Apparently its 18.2 mm thick, so not exactly 2/3 thinner.

Surur
    Hey, I did say "nearly" :P
    Nevertheless, this should have been the design for at least the 700 series. Its growing on me, and done in copper it'd have some takers

I am a nerd because I wear my treo in a pouch or a clip on my belt. ATT probably won't carry this because it would take away from sales of the Iphone.
    I strongly think this will go head to head with the Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    But what is the retail price, not the new activation price? Afterall, some folks are already on a contract...

That i would like to know.
    $399.99

BoyGeniusReport posted it. Release date is October 14th.

(Put that in perspective: Moto Q is $449; 700wx is $609)

Model Number is the Palm 690. (So the Gryphon, 690, near release date and $99 price point were all correct)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    This isn't the one for me, but it is starting to sound more interesting as a Palm offering. Although targeted to a different audience, it's sounding physically comparable to the Pearl. A little disappointing if it's 18.2mm thick instead of around 13, but does sound significantly shorter and narrower if Antoine of MMM's estimates are right.

I agree with Antoine that the d-pad looks problematic unless they have done a near 0-travel keyboard like in Mot RAZR or other non-smart Samsung phones. The lack of separate buttons for the hard keys implies a new keyboard substrate as well.

The qwerty keys still look cramped - even for a 13-15 year old - but that's really hard to tell from just a pic.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    I haven't heard anyone mention this, but this phone seems to compete with the pearl... very interesting that it solves some of the pearl issues, but still seems a bit deep/fat.

Sad that it's still garnet, but at $99 you can't complain too much. Let's see the reality of the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    $399.99

Not to doubt BGR, but a $300 discount from Sprint is at least $100 more than the typical new subscriber/renewal discount. Interesting. Given both Palm and Sprint are under competitive pressure, I wonder who is doing the extra subsidizing? It's most likely Sprint as I just can't see Palm having the margins to support a lower cost device.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    It's because UMTS/HSDPA require an OS capable of inherent multitasking (simultaneous voice and data). EVDO Rev. 0 only carries data and does cannot support active data and active voice at the same time.

Will EVDO Rev. A support simultaneous voice and data?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamer90 View Post
    Will EVDO Rev. A support simultaneous voice and data?
    I think that's up to the carriers, I believe the standard allows for it, but it's up to the carriers to implement it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    $399.99

(Put that in perspective: Moto Q is $449; 700wx is $609)

Model Number is the Palm 690. (So the Gryphon, 690, near release date and $99 price point were all correct)
    $399.99 seems to be the no contract price. I can see it going for $199.99 - $100 MIR.
    $300 is a heck of a subsidy and Palm most definitely is the one footing the bill. The margins on this device will be very low. Then again, considering that the Treo actually pays better than some other smartphones, this just might be the Treo lining up with others in terms of what the manufacturer makes some sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    $300 is a heck of a subsidy and Palm most definitely is the one footing the bill. The margins on this device will be very low. Then again, considering that the Treo actually pays better than some other smartphones, this just might be the Treo lining up with others in terms of what the manufacturer makes some sales.
    Really?

Sounds about right to me. The Motorola Q is $449.00 no contract. With a new contract it's $149. Same $300. It seems all the subsidies are about $300 ($609 for the 700wx, $299 with contract).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Wow, that's sharp. Nice job Palm.
    Here's the original sexy shot.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/...-Image_3_1.jpg

He's a composite using the gizmodo picture, perspective corrected and resized to these measurements from another thread, compared to a Treo 680.

Palm Gandolf
    105.3 x 53.6 x 18.6mm

Treo 680 specs for comparison.
    111.8 x 58.4 x 20.3 mm. Weight, 157 g

The screen appears to be 2.4 inches. Ignore the thickness, which is hopefully an artifact of the perspective correction.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/8...browseruu2.jpg

Here's the morningpaper picture from June, showing the corrected proportions are more or less right.

http://morningpaper.typepad.com/phot...08/gandolf.jpg

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 08/25/2007 at 03:38 PM.
    man, that looks a hundred times better than the other pics. I would take one. what a relief.
    Matty
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast