1.    #1  
    So last week, something on my computer crashed and it took a lot of work to get it all up and running properly again. The Palm Desktop seemed unaffected, but I noticed on the next day that the Palm Voice Dialing had gone a little nutso, interrupting my Audible book every couple of minutes to ask for a command.

The inflight solution was to simply delete the Voice Dialing.

Then, I noticed RealPlayer had gone nutso. I had three playlists (two containing ten tracks each, the third some 150 tracks) and any time I tried to launch RealPlayer, it would start looking for songs and playlists...and never find anything, or stop.

Since I don't see any simple way to delete and reinstall RPlayer on the Treo, I tried reinstalling it on the computer. No joy--the one on the Treo is still psycho. Of course, the version that shipped on CD thinks the device is a "Palm handheld" not specifically a 650 (and that was fine before) but if I want to upgrade...and register to get nagged by their music store, I can upgrade to a newer version that knows the 650 exists.

I'm really unimpressed by this ability to get totally corrupted and have no way to purge apps and files on the Treo.

Can anyone give me a hint--how can I "Hit the Big Red Switch" and get RealPlayer on my Treo to just stop looking for playlists and songs? Or purge whatever it is looking for from the SD card, and make it happy again?

And, does RPlayer really live in the ROM on the Treo650? Or can it be purged and reinstalled at all?

Please...My wall doesn't really deserve having a phone thrown at it...but that would be so satisfying about now.
    You could do a custom rom and remove realplayer. Many have done this. I have mine still in rom because I don't use my treo as an mp3 player.
    BTW my software realizes its a palm handheld and not a treo650. I think that is with all palm os devices.
    Do a hard reset. Do you have a good backup to restore afterwards?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  4.    #4  
    The backup might be good, but at that point I think I'd rather do a full wipe and make sure of each bit I'm restoring, so there are no hidden file stubs from demos, etc. on the critter.

Then again...one reason I haven't done that is because last time I looked at "installation management" apps, I couldn't completely understand the ones I looked at (i.e. they get in the way of installations).

Tony, if I wanted to nuke it and start really clean...what's the simplest tool to look at it, in terms of "simple to use" that will let me install things--or remove them after installation--without actually interrupting the install process?

Or is there a better way to just kill the playlist/song files that RP is looking for on the SD card right now, so it can "quickly" look at the card (2GB) and see there's nothing to bother with there?

Time to get a card reader for the PC, so I can manipulate the card directly, too.<G>
    I thought your Realplayer file itself was corrupt, and you wanted to restore it. A hard reset would restore it from ROM. I do not know how to fix it looking for files. Maybe make a post in the Multimedia forum?

Sorry, I don't use any kind of install manager.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  6.    #6  
    Tony, I can't tell for sure if RP is corrupt--or if the files it is looking for are somehow bad. There's no reason for either for either to be corrupt, but last week the playlists and songs were there and all was well. This week, RP goes out to lunch and never finds them. And in a wonderful example of sloppy progamming, there's no way to interrupt it without doing a soft reset.

So...I'll explore the SD card in more detail first. The temptation to nuke things when the real problem is "no one really understands the software" is a terribly old and common one to me. How many times I've heard so many alleged techies say "just use the restore disc" when they really meant "I don't know a damned thing but my script book doesn't cover your problem and I'm not allowed to admit that".<G>

No reason the SD card should be corrupted either, but memory cards DO sometimes go bad. Easier to be patient and look at that first.

Thanks.