1.    #1  
    I am using a Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone. My Goodlink client was recently upgraded to 4.9.3.37_EN from 4.8.x.x.

Since the upgrade, I have been unable to get Goodlink to connect over WiFi anywhere (home/work/public). This has always worked in the past. I have performed a cold reset on my device, and still am having no luck.

WiFi works fine for internet/mms/sms. Goodlink does work over GPRS.

Our server is running 4.9.3.20.
    The current version of GMM does not support WM6, so I unfortunately can't help.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. Lets take WM6 out of the mix. I'm not discounting that it could be the problem, but I am just trying to troubleshoot.

WiFi access is critical for me as I cannot use the cell radio in the hosptials where I work. I am in tech support as well, and logs are sent via email.

So that said...

I have a fairly new T-Mobile Dash that shipped with WM6. I have GPRS & MMS configured as specified on the T-Mobile web-site. I do not have any proxy settings as they are only for the $5.99 T-Zones plan. I have the full intenet package, not T-Zones. My advanced connection settings are all set to automatic. IE is defined to use "The Internet".

Has this behavior ever been seen in WM5? If so, what were the steps to fix it?

If you were troubleshooting a WM5 device with this problem, is there a monitoring application/debug mode/logging that you would look to for clues?

Are there documented registry settings in WM5 that you can recommend I check to make sure GL can see WiFi?

Is there a (maybe unintentionaly turned on) option on the server that would prevent GMM from talking over WiFi? I should state that at the same time our admins pushed out the new client, they also began enforcing the policy to device lock the phone.

My first choice would be to revert to the previous GMM version so I could validate that it still worked. Unfortunately, our admins don't allow this.

So, any pointers you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the support you provide this community.
    Don't expect a response. I have tried to get help on a couple of WM6/GMM issues and the only response I have received is exactly what you got. Basically GMM does not support WM6, which also came from Goodguy. Frustratingly, none of the other users of this forum have been able to chime in and try--even though several have reported "no issues" with GMM on WM6.

On the one hand I appreciate the fact that Goodguy comes in here and attempts to offer support to what I would consider for the most part are fairly savvy GMM users relative to the average user--and he takes some heat on occasion too for numerous documented bugs that are present in GMM--but on the other hand I am frustrated that he doesn't always seem willing to get in and help trouble shoot in some cases.

GMM 5.0 is supposed to be WM6 compatible and they only have about 3-4 weeks left to hit their release deadline (read their press release that Goodguy posted in this forum or even go to their web page and see how they tout it and its features) and one would think your issue as well as mine would be worth looking into. Nothing would be more frustrating than for either one of us to have the same issues once GMM 5.0 comes out and then have to wait who knows how long for the next release to address these issues.

I would even be happy if Goodguy replied and said "thanks for posting your issue-I have checked with our beta testers of 5.0 who are using WM6 and they do not have your issue(s)--hang in there until the release and your problem will be solved, for now unfortunately we can't help you."

By the way, not trying to hijack your thread but are you having incredibly slow text input frequently with problems with autotext not suggesting words correctly (strictly related to GMM)? All my other apps do not have this issue and nobody else has said anything--it does not happen when looking up contacts, etc--only when composing/replying to emails.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  5.    #5  
    I agree. But I understand that he is caught between a rock and a hard place.
    My frustration with Good just has to do with end-user support as a whole. The fact that Goodguy is leaned on so heavily is a testament to that problem. The lack of end-user documentation is maddening. Our good admin won't help users, even on WM5, and instead will refer us to the carrier since the company "doesn't support phones". The carrier refers me to Good, who only deals with my admin, who won't help... arrrghhhh. A library of end-user documentation dealing with the interactions between Good and Microsoft/Palm would be a godsend. (not only to us, but to hand-cuffed admins as well)

Now on to your next question. If I am not mistaken, Good has its own text database, and does not use the library on the phone? Good has always seemed slow to bring up the word list when typing (under WM5 or WM6) and it doesn't seem to remember the most used combination of letters. For example, on my SDA, "23" could have been interpreted as "cd", "be", "ad", etc. By far the most common combination I would select is "be". But under Good, it would always default to "cd". Under SMS/MMS or pocket word, the most commonly used combination ("be") is the first selection. I don't have that issue as much with the Dash as I use QUERTY most of the time.
    The quickstart guides for the platform may help some of you

http://customerportal.good.com/techSupport.php?id=118

as far as support, its strange that your Goodadmin would push you off to the carrier.... he says that they don't support "phones", yet they install a Good server in the network? that is strange.

for us here, it is assumed that IT must support the devices and the service.
    On 8/24 dmcaylor politely asked for some trouble shooting help with a very clearly stated problem after GoodGuy responded with the "GMM is not supported on WM6". It has been a week and Goodguy has responded to numerous other posts, including the assertion that GMM is holding up the release of WM6 but nothing on this issue.

dmcaylor--how upset will you be if 5.0 gets released and your problem continues? I would be. Look I don't blame Goodguy for any of the many shortfalls and bugs in GMM--I am fairly certain he comes in here on his own, but I am not sure why he can't say "although we don't support WM6 you might try...."
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I did respond. He is running a version of GMM on an operating system that is not supported nor will it EVER be supported by that release of GMM. You want me to say "The OS you are running is not supported by the version of GMM you are running, try this..." even though I have no resources to go to within my organization to ask for assistance since we are not and will not be testing 4.9 with WM6 since it is not, nor will not, be supported. To reply with "Oh, GMM 5.0 with WM6 doesn't do that" is not a viable option either since he is not runnung GMM5, so it won't address his issues either.

The requests for logs, troubleshooting on WM5, etc., are pointless. He is running a non-supported configuration via a non-supported operating system.

Here:

Although we don't support WM6, you might try running GMM on an operating system that is supported and see if you have the same issues.

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? Unfortunately, that is the only answer to his question.
    GoodGuy--how about any of these questions he asked? They seem fair and would be logical ways to trouble shoot the issue if he were using WM5?

Quote Originally Posted by dmcaylor View Post
    Has this behavior ever been seen in WM5? If so, what were the steps to fix it?

If you were troubleshooting a WM5 device with this problem, is there a monitoring application/debug mode/logging that you would look to for clues?

Are there documented registry settings in WM5 that you can recommend I check to make sure GL can see WiFi?

Is there a (maybe unintentionaly turned on) option on the server that would prevent GMM from talking over WiFi? I should state that at the same time our admins pushed out the new client, they also began enforcing the policy to device lock the phone.

My first choice would be to revert to the previous GMM version so I could validate that it still worked. Unfortunately, our admins don't allow this.

So, any pointers you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the support you provide this community.
    GoodGuy I am really not trying to pick on you. I (as well as many others) have said they appreciate the fact that you provide support to this community because it is about the only place many of us are able to get support. Good Technologies and my company have a support system that stopped providing end users any support about a year ago. Prior to that the support option of calling a number and talking to a real tech was about the best I had ever encountered for any product. We had access to terrific support real time when we needed it. Now there is nothing.

I realize that GMM never has and never will support WM6 until 5.0 is finally released but I think dmcaylor asked some fairly good trouble shooting questions that might help solve his issue.

I did not think you were restricted in your answers on this site because you post anonymously and we know this is not official. Not even GMM's site offers any support like you provide.

Never once have I been critical of your product just frurstrated with roll out.

Thanks
    You know, i didn't find anything in the knowledge base about using GMM over wifi... (well, anything with a recent device).

Taking the WM6 issue out of the equation (since its already been established why GMM 4.9.x works on that hacked WM6 rom).

Assuming you have a later version of GMM (4.9.3.20 - 4.9.3.37) and assuming that WM6 support seamless transfer between WWAN and WIFI...

reboot your phone, before launching GMM, turn off your cell phone radio, enable wifi... and then run GMM. What happens then?

The other small issues you are experiencing... i would mark that up for 4.9.x not being designed to run on WM6...

and on the topic of server side options restricting WIFI... I think there is something like that, but it covers more about enabling/disabling the feature. So if your Admin did use that restriction, then no application would be able to use WIFI, not just GMM..

But I'll check to see if the GMC in 4.9 and 5.0 have a specific option.