1.    #1  
    Like many (most, all?) that applied the MR 1.10 "update", my VZW 700p data connectivity went to crap. I went to the VZW store yesterday with the intention of changing to the Blackberry 8830 - a move I would have made with great reluctance. I've been a Treo user since the 270 and a Palm user for much longer than that.

While in the store, I noticed a active 700p on the display stand. I played with it for a minute, and notice its data capabilities seemed to work fine. (I don't know about you guys, but on my 700p, getting any data request to work twice in a row was a rarity post upgrade - and if I made or received a call, forget it). I then made a call from my Treo to the display model to test that - data again worked fine.

Fast forward a bit - I called VZW tech support yesterday and they sent me a new 700p with the 1.10 software pre-loaded.

My plan is to start with a brand new everything - I'm going to uninstall Hotsync and Palm Desktop and clean the registry...then I'm going to add apps one at a time over the weekend - and as I said, keep my fingers crossed.

The phone arrived this morning. I activated it with out issue (pretty cool to do that on the web at VZW). First scare - data didn't work off the bat (I go a "cannot connect error" not the dreaded 3000). A hard reset (no biggie since the phone was totally clean at that point anyway) fixed that...the phone had not started with the usual "select English" and then the stylus work, so it must have been in an "in between" state when I got it.

So far, so good. I've connected to the web without issue several times. I even got a phone call in the middle of a web session and then went back to web and it worked fine.

I'm a Versamail user, so I have not been able to test email yet...that is next after I get my computer cleaned up to start installing new stuff.

I hope this works. This is my last shot with the 700p...if this fails, I will go to the 8830. I'll edit this post with further results...

Update #1 - 7:30pm ET on 8/24/07

So far, so good. I've installed VersaMail and all seems to be working well. I have not moved outside of my house since I activated, but Saturday will be a good test. I have not had any data issues as of yet. Many more apps to load, but I'm going to take it slow.

Update #2 8:07pm ET 8/25/07

Wow. I'm starting to get a sense of the 700p can be. I'm still not at 100% of prior apps (zLauncher being the biggest missing link), but in the almost 48 hour since I've had the new 700p, I've had no data issues and no dreaded "lag" issue between apps or button presses on the phone (how many voice mails have you deleted by having your phone go "quiet" and then have mutiple button pushes queued?). I really hoping I'm not jinxing myself.

A funny aside - I thought I was having my first data issue when I was trying to got to a website for which I had created a button. In my bricked 700p, one way the data connectivity issue would occur was in Blazer - if it were having data issues, I would get the "cannot connect to website error" (not the exact text - the full text took a whole screen)...I would then switch to Versamail and get the timeout issue or the 3000 error...well, as it turns out today, I had misspelled the URL...so the error was on me!.
    Last edited by westjohnson; 08/25/2007 at 07:13 PM.
    I had a replacement with 1.10 that worked fine for two weeks, no data issues. However, I had to replace that one for other reasons. Hope it works for you.
    I'm on #3 ready to go to #4 or other device. I've been a PalmOS User since the Handspring Visorphone (The birth of smart phones). So I feel your pain. But as much as I love the Palm Platform I figure that we are a dying Breed. Palm is definitely heading away from the PalmOS platform. The massive inbred of Windows devices was the 1st nail in the coffin. If they would've at least acknowledged it I would be happy and patient. But given the last 2-3 years track record makes me say "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Sorry for being in 'flamebait mode' but my confidence with Palm is lost. Because of all these issues me and we are facing I pretty much don't use my Treo anymore. I just use my work phone which is an equivalent Treo minus the touchscreen.
    "Because of all these issues me and we are facing I pretty much don't use my Treo anymore."

This is exactly why I find the performance of my new 700wx so surprising. I had managed to embarrass myself in a several important meetings by saying "hang on, let me look that up on my treo" and had it hang _every time_ while the crowd was waiting. I learned to stop using my bluetooth, and even the 700p in general since it just wasted time.

But today (with my 700wx), I brought it out while in a large meeting, pulled the bluetooth ThinkOutside folding keyboard out, and in 5 seconds I was on the web with my Treo, typing with my bluetooth keyboard and it didn't even hang before I got to the info I quickly needed (this is what I imagined I would be able to do with the 700p but it failed miserably). In fact the 700wx hasn't hung after 2 weeks of being paired to my bluetooth keyboard which I routinely take out of range of the 700wx. The wx actually works, the 700p was an enormous waste of time.

@westjohnson: if the 8830 seems limited, you may find satisfaction in the wx.
    I just got a vzw700p. My 650 died. Thinking about going to the windows 700. How well does the data move over? I'm no a outlook user and use Snapper on my 700p anything to think about?

-Thanks!

Evan
    ? "How well does the data move over?"

I also used Snapper on the 700p. To migrate my contacts from the 700p to Outlook 2003 (which I am using for PIM w/ the 700wx) I selected all contacts (ctrl-a) in the Palm desktop then exported as a .csv file. I then imported the .csv file into Outlook with minimal hassle (it allows you to visually map existing data fields into the set of new field names).

I didn't migrate my calendar into Outlook but from earlier Googling found that this application:
    http://chapura.com/pm_standard.php
    should be on the Palm installer CD and allows one to choose whether your PIM data syncs with the Palm desktop or Outlook. From my reading, this seems to be a common route.

I also noticed the program 'OutlookSwitcher' in the *\Palm folder which Google provided many hits regarding.

-b
    Quote Originally Posted by evan2000 View Post
    I just got a vzw700p. My 650 died. Thinking about going to the windows 700. How well does the data move over? I'm no a outlook user and use Snapper on my 700p anything to think about?

-Thanks!

Evan
    STOP!!!!! Don't just sync your 650 data into your 700. Do a clean install of your applications. You will have too many problems if you don't. If you want to use the same username, just rename the backup folder in your user folder in the Palm folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    STOP!!!!! Don't just sync your 650 data into your 700. Do a clean install of your applications. You will have too many problems if you don't. If you want to use the same username, just rename the backup folder in your user folder in the Palm folder.
    Different version of Palm Desktop and Hotsync manager also (between 650 and 700p). Palm's website has pretty good and detailed "how to migrate from "x-device" to "y-device." I'd highly recommend using it as a guide! Slapping a 700p in the cradle and hotsyncing to a 650 installed Palm Desktop and folders will reward you with more problems than you thought existed in this world!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    When I converted from my 600P to 700P . What I did was use files to beam over my memos,contacts,calender,tasks. Then installed all my newer apps as I needed them. Blew out the old sync software.. delete the whole directories or moved them elsewhere.. reinstalled and resynched.
  10.    #10  
    Just to keep things fresh...I'm going to post my second edit to my original post.