1. WDW
    I am hoping to gain an understanding of Good's commitment to bug fixes after 5.0. There are still many lingering problems from early 4.x versions of WM GMM. Later versions did not fix them and so for months we have been waiting for 5.0. When the 5.0 bugs are flushed out by the users starting in October will we have to wait months for another major upgrade to get fixes or will Good send out monthly patches?
    Treo 750 - ATT branded
    Version: TREO750-2.25-ATT
    WM6 Prof.
    I can tell you we are pushing 5.0.0.55 of GMM 5.0 put to internal users tonight. From looking at our roadmap, there appears to be a very focused effort on maintenance releases.

As for lingering bugs, can you give me a couple that you are still experiencing? I am running 5.0 on a 700WX and 700P, so I can hopefully let you know where it sits.
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 08/22/2007 at 07:24 PM.
  3. WDW
    We have hundreds of instances of GMM across a few dozen WM and Palm device types. In all seriousness just look at the latest 20 or so posts on this Goodlink forum. We have experienced all of the mentioned issues from install issues to freezes to frequent server disconnects to phone conflicts to auto restarts to inconsistent notifications to GMM screwing up 3rd party applications. I honestly don't have the energy to rehash each of these in detail. They are well documented throughout these forums.
    Treo 750 - ATT branded
    WM6 Prof.
    Without specifics (device/carrier/version) I can't tell you anything helpful.
  5. WDW
    Oh, I understand. GMM works differently on different WM5 and Palm devices whereas 99% of the other 3rd party software we use works across all WM5 and Palm platforms. Every device we have is on ATT network and is a latter version of 4.9.x. If you are saying that GMM is device dependent despite running a common OS (WM5 and Palm) then I would keep that to yourself. It's not exactly a great marketing tid-bit.
    Treo 750 - ATT branded
    WM6 Prof.
    We have always said GMM is carrier device dependent because the ROM on devices is different from carrier to carrier. 99% of the other 3rd party software is not as ROM intensive as GMM, which is why we certify devices by carrier.
  7. WDW
    Maybe you guys ought to rethink your architecture then. I don't know of any other mainstream software that is as device/carrier dependent as GMM. Exchange Activesync works on any WM device equally well. There are many other very complex programs out there that only require a similar OS (i.e. WM5 or Palm) in order to run. They don't discriminate between the hundreds of devices and dozens of carriers. New phones are being released weekly. If you are telling me that GMM is carrier and device dependent, you are saying that GMM will always have dozens of devices that GMM "won't work on" because once a new device comes out GMM would have to test on it, make fixes and then send out a new release. For Good this is at least a several month process.

If you are asking me what device/carrier/version all of our phones are, then I assume you guys have a detailed matrix somewhere on your site that shows all the known issues for each combination of device/carrier/version. Please point me to that link.

Can you tell me what month was the cutoff point for devices that will be gauranteed/certified to run on GMM 5.0? My guess is it would have to be several months ago since the 5.0 beta is still ongoing. Is it Good's recommendation that GMM user's do not upgrade to any phones that have come out since June 2007?
    Treo 750 - ATT branded
    WM6 Prof.
    What I am saying is that we certify devices/carriers. There is GMM running on over 100 networks in 90 countries and we didn't certify them. There are people running GMM 4.9 on WM6 devices. It just isn't supported until 5.0 comes out. It may or may not work. Bear in mind, GMM does not use the native applications on the device. If we did, then, yes, carrier/device would not matter. GMM makes calls to the voice radio and the data radio on the device, encrypts the databases and utilizes more of the OS and ROM than probably 99.99% of the applications out there. ActiveSync is made by the OS manufacturer. Nor does it have the feature set (security, 3rd party app push, etc) as GMM. Saying it works across the board is like saying Blackberry software runs fine on all Blackberry devices. Have you seen BB Connect on the Palm? Nothing like on a BB device. ActiveSync for Palm won't run on the 650, though it is the same OS as the 700P, assuming you are running Excahnge 2003. GMM has the same interface across Palm, WM5, WM6 and Symbian and supports Exchange 2000, Exchange 2003 and Lotus Notes. Again, I dare say there are very few 3rd party apps with the same feature/functionality across 4 devices OS' and support multiple back office systems as well. Not saying there aren't, but not that many.

There is a matrix of supported devices available in the Good Monitoring Portal.

We announced unsupported devices months ago: Treo 600, 650, and 700w.