Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Greetings and salutations,

It appears I've missed the boat on Kinoma. After reading about here, it appears I should get it.

What advantages does it have over the built in media player?

Is it "friendly" to my phone? Ya know, I don't want to install something that doesn't play nice on my phone.

In general, it appears the crew here seems to enjoy it. True?

Just checking in with the folks here, before I buy it.

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by PalmFive; 08/27/2007 at 07:07 PM.
    A "Lite" version of Kinoma is actually already on your phone. It gets pulled up when you visit streaming video links in Blazer.

I know a lot of people around here are big fans of Kinoma, but I've never personally tried it, so I can't say either way.

What I can say, is that if you are looking for a free, simple video (and other media) player, TCPMP is a great choice, assuming you don't mind that it doesn't do streaming.
    I went years without it, got it so i could watch .wmv files. I personally do not think its worth the price. Streaming video is often choppy, the volume is too low and all the other functions are average at best.
    I bought kinoma... Used it for a day... and demanded my money back...
    How about the Kinoma 4 EX? Is it as choppy? poor?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hi

Kinoma Player 4 EX is so much more than just a video player, to call it a video player is like calling a Treo a cell phone.. it is a hyper-powerhouse of a program with a built-in, dynamically-updated, MANY layers deep, extremely well-organized Media guide with THOUSANDS of links to live, streaming radio stations, podcasts, Web cams, videos, bookmarking, direct URL input, save-to-card toggle, reads, sorts and displays content providers OPML files, (or make your own OPML file with your own content and load it..) ..the feature list is endless.. no, it doesn't do background play yet.. Pocket Tunes Deluxe is probably a better all-around .MP3 player, but its radio station streaming selection is pathetic compared to Kinomas.. no it doesn't have flashy skins, no it doesn't have any tone controls yet.. but it's also the only PalmOS program i know that'll handle youtube and google Flash videos.. it performs the best on a 3G or EVDO network.. it performs even better over WiFi (i have it on my Tapwave Zodiac II as well as both my 700ps, and although the Zodiac has a slower CPU than a 700p.. it's WiFi-capable..) .. Kinoma 4 EX is the most bang for twenty bucks i've ever seen out of ANY PalmOS software, bar none. it ain't perfect.. i have yet to meet a piece of software that is.. but anyone who buys it and uses it for a day and then demands his money back.. well.. i don't know what you thought you were buying, or what you learned it could do in the little time you spent with it, but sorry.. that's just silly.. (and i'm really restraining myself and trying to be polite..) ..

by the way, the TC discount code mentioned in my reviews is still in effect..

and an upgraded version of Kinoma 4 EX was just released yesterday.. no charge for existing owners, no change in price.. they've upgraded it i don't even remember how many times since it was released last Halloween, and haven't charged an extra cent for any upgrades.. i just don't get how someone can fail to be impressed with what this program can do..

Thanks
    Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 08/22/2007 at 07:05 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Hi

Kinoma Player 4 EX is so much more than just a video player, to call it a video player is like calling a Treo a cell phone.. it is a hyper-powerhouse of a program with a built-in, dynamically-updated, MANY layers deep, extremely well-organized Media guide with THOUSANDS of links to live, streaming radio stations, podcasts, Web cams, videos, bookmarking, direct URL input, save-to-card toggle, reads, sorts and displays content providers OPML files, (or make your own OPML file with your own content and load it..) ..the feature list is endless.. no, it doesn't do background play yet.. Pocket Tunes Deluxe is probably a better all-around .MP3 player, but its radio station streaming selection is pathetic compared to Kinomas.. no it doesn't have flashy skins, no it doesn't have any tone controls yet.. but it's also the only PalmOS program i know that'll handle youtube and google Flash videos.. it performs the best on a 3G or EVDO network.. it performs even better over WiFi (i have it on my Tapwave Zodiac II as well as both my 700ps, and although the Zodiac has a slower CPU than a 700p.. it's WiFi-capable..) .. Kinoma 4 EX is the most bang for twenty bucks i've ever seen out of ANY PalmOS software, bar none. it ain't perfect.. i have yet to meet a piece of software that is.. but anyone who buys it and uses it for a day and then demands his money back.. well.. i don't know what you thought you were buying, or what you learned it could do in the little time you spent with it, but sorry.. that's just silly.. (and i'm really restraining myself and trying to be polite..) ..

by the way, the TC discount code mentioned in my reviews is still in effect..

and an upgraded version of Kinoma 4 EX was just released yesterday.. no charge for existing owners, no change in price.. they've upgraded it i don't even remember how many times since it was released last Halloween, and haven't charged an extra cent for any upgrades.. i just don't get how someone can fail to be impressed with what this program can do..

Thanks
    Harv
    thank you for this comment. I am on my latest Treo 755 today all day installing new apps and I have been wavering on this issue. I think I am going to go with Kimona.
    I don't use it for watching video (CorePlayer is way better) or listening to mp3 (pTunes is way better), but I use Kimona probably more that any other app on my 755p.

I walk my dog for about an hour a day and I LOVE the ability to stream podcasts. I have about 12 podcasts bookmarked from the Kimona Media Guide that I listen to almost daily - News and market updates, TreoCast of course, NPR stuff, etc.

The iPhone crowd logs onto iTunes, subscribes to a podcast, schedules downloads, syscs their device, etc. I just go to my Kimona bookmarks and listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangozebra View Post
    I walk my dog for about an hour a day and I LOVE the ability to stream podcasts. I have about 12 podcasts bookmarked from the Kimona Media Guide that I listen to almost daily - News and market updates, TreoCast of course, NPR stuff, etc.
    Do you have any way to actually background Kimona? Streaming podcasts from google reader is as easy as it is in kimona, but in neither case can I seem to multitask to anything but the kimona stream.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I like the ability to stream url-based playlists.

I have my music on a home server running the Andromeda webserver mp3 app. Using simple playlists, I can stream any of that music to Kinoma.

Works great.
    I to only bought kinoma to play wmv but realizing that it uses the wmv 9 codec so it doesn't play my older files but it is definately worth the money. especially people that like Youtube.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    If you like Podcasts, I think Kinoma is the killer app for the Treo. I don't want to be limited to synching podcasts from my desktop to my Treo. I want to be able to access them directly from my Treo when the spirit moves me. As Hrlaser says, the online podcast guide that Kinoma accesses is unbelievably large with radio stations from around the world and zillions of podcasts. The Google and My Tube video only works so-so on my EDGE AT&T connection but works very well with a faster (like EVDO0 connection.
    I love it, but as you can see by this thread its a love it or hate it program...
    HTC Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    I love it, but as you can see by this thread its a love it or hate it program...
    Kinoma Player is right up there as the most useful, most well-behaved, and most lovingly-engineered software you can buy for your Treo.

Before casually whipping out the word "hate", please think about the things in this world that really deserve that word.

I talk to our customers daily (in public and private), and I can tell you that we've had very, very few unsatisfied customers, and that we do our best to support and satisfy everyone. Generally, we do a pretty good job.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ View Post
    Streaming video is often choppy...
    When that happens, post your example in the Kinoma forum (or the others I frequent), and be sure to note what carrier you're on. I'll help you understand why.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Put me in the "love it" column and I really fail to see the "hate it" mentality. For the price (and a TC discount on top of that) this program is an absolute steal if it did NOTHING other than provide a constantly updating live media guide with thousands of preset internet radio stations. It is worth the price for that ALONE. Add the fact that it is the only program to play flash video on a Palm and it makes it a "must have app" in my opinion. Now if the price was double you might be able to start saying you "HATE" it for things like no background play, but do you really mean that? If you want background play and you're only using this as an MP3 player than use the free Ptunes that came with your device. If you want it for streaming net radio then weigh the fact that the media guide is more worth the background play or improved volume control in my opinion. The Media guide is bar none the coolest thing I can show people on my treo. It's like a having a little transistor radio with a giant dish attached pointed to the sky. Look at the cost again, then look at the features, then come back and use the word "hate" I still don't see it.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Many thank for all your responses. I'm going to buy it. What I like, really like, is that Charles responded. It shows they care, great customer service.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFive View Post
    It shows they care, great customer service.
    We try very hard to make our customers proud to be customers.

Related to that, we've already fixed the YouTube issue that reared its ugly head last night. For more details, please check out our blog.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I've been using Kinoma since it came out for the Sony Clie NR70 and I loved it! Now, it looks really powerful and I hope Kinoma keeps supporting this product.

Al
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    We try very hard to make our customers proud to be customers.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I also agree that Kinoma wants to satisfy their customers.

I had problem that at first Kinoma could not reproduce but they dug into the problem until they identified and solved the problem with the new version 4.3.

Great Job Kinoma !!!!

Rich
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast