Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post

Thanks for illustrating so trenchantly precisely WHY most developers stay the HELL away posting to fanboy sites like this. Kinoma could give their apps away for free and someone would still ***** and moan about them. If you bought an app from them and they refused to give you a new license for a phone after you legitimately had to replace your phone I'm sure we'd love to hear about it. But if you not only don't have any of their software but also don't even plan to purchase their software perhaps you may wish to save the whining for any of the thousands of dirtbag PalmOS developers that actually don't support their apps:
    iambic, anyone?

The ONLY reason I'm still using PalmOS is because of the existence of the few remaining superb developers like Pimlico, Natara, Hobbyist Software, Marc Blank, Resco, Bits 'n Bolts, Rick Whitt, Picard, Mathias Tschopp, Chris Antos, NorthGlide and a handful of others. Flogging a good developer pubicly is not a bright idea in my books.

Sure, it's uncomfortable, but I see where the poster's coming from. Luckily, I've not had those problems with Kinoma - despite the fact that my g.f. and I have had to replace our 755p's.

So, bottom-line, I'm a happy customer (who eagerly looks forward to background play) but he fact that someone's not a customer doesn't necessarily disqualify his/her opinion, in my book (especially if it's even partially based on posted policy) .
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    Are you aware of the problem with Kinoma and Softick Audio Gateway? When playing MP3's there is a momentary pause when streaming using SAG.
    As far as we know (and we've worked directly with them), Kinoma sends audio to SAG in the most efficient way possible.

That said, SAG is CPU-intensive, and when you combine that with networking and video/audio decoding tasks you can overload the Treo's capabilities pretty quickly.

My recommendation is to make sure you're using the latest versions of both, and then experiment with all of the settings (detailed in their manual) that let you trade off quality for performance.

If it doesn't work with their fastest settings, please contact our support folks so that they can contact Softick.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    From the feedback others are showing here it would appear that indeed your policy is what you are saying here and not what's posted on Kinoma's site.
    Our policy for device changes is that we allow them every six months, as stated.

But we have two even more important policies: (1) We love and appreciate our customers, and (2) Kinoma employees are empowered to make any exceptions necessary in order to make our customers happy.

Regarding your "15 items or less" analogy: I would be equally concerned if the store posted such a sign and yet the cashiers were to regularly allow carts with 40 or 50 items through because "we put up the sign to discourage it, but the number is actually irrelevent."
    Ah, then I wasn't clear enough...our support team absolutely enforces that policy when it's clear that it's being abused. Happily, that's rare.

I'll leave any followup about this to PM'ing
    Thanks for the conversation!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I tried a couple of things on YouTube ... I keep getting the message "bandwidth exceeded" ... is that because I don't have EVDO coverage in my location?
    Quote Originally Posted by itsyvonne View Post
    I tried a couple of things on YouTube ... I keep getting the message "bandwidth exceeded" ... is that because I don't have EVDO coverage in my location?
    I don't work for Kinoma or anything, but I hope the following helps.

Not sure if you've tried this, but take a look at your streaming preferences (make sure you're not streaming when you do this) and choose the option that says something about preferring downloading to streaming. Also, check the option that says you want files saved to external media (and, of course, make sure you've got your mini-sd installed). Dunno your situation, but that's helped a number of folks, so far.

Those of you who haven't gotten a chance to check out Kinoma's forum(s?) (and FAQs) might want to give it a shot, now. Like the TC forums, there are plenty of questions to be asked and answered; often someone has already asked your question, so the answer's right there for the searching.

That's where I got the above answer from, if I remember correctly. Good luck!
    I just bought Kinoma and have been trying it for a few days. Its a very nice idea but using it on my Cingular/ATT network results in an unsatisfying experience. I am getting frequent "insufficient bandwidth" messages and lots of stops/starts when playing audio files. Playing video files is even worse. I have 5 bars for signal strength.

I have buyers remorse from buying this program.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I just bought Kinoma and have been trying it for a few days. Its a very nice idea but using it on my Cingular/ATT network results in an unsatisfying experience. I am getting frequent "insufficient bandwidth" messages and lots of stops/starts when playing audio files. Playing video files is even worse. I have 5 bars for signal strength.

I have buyers remorse from buying this program.
    Please take a look at my post (the one just before yours). That might help.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Please take a look at my post (the one just before yours). That might help.
    I just made the changes that you suggested - downloading instead of streaming and save to SD card. NO improvement seen/ Still get insufficient BW messages after a few seconds of playing and constant buffering.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I just made the changes that you suggested - downloading instead of streaming and save to SD card. NO improvement seen/ Still get insufficient BW messages after a few seconds of playing and constant buffering.
    Did you test multiple links, after making that change?

I ask because I've sometimes found that the problem is on the video(/audio) source's end, but if I don't test enough of them -or the right ones- I'm left with the impression that it's Sprint's fault or Kinoma's.

Of course, it MAY BE their fault. I don't know. I'd just like to see you as happy with your purchase as I am with mine.

(Also, you may want to make sure you have a decent signal wherever you're testing.)

If you haven't already, you may want to try Kinoma's forums and FAQ's. They may be able to help.
    I ask because I've sometimes found that the problem is on the video(/audio) source's end, but if I don't test enough of them -or the right ones- I'm left with the impression that it's Sprint's fault or Kinoma's.
    Thankfully you guys help us identify broken/updated links in the Kinoma Media Guide, and we do our best to fix them ASAP.

If you haven't already, you may want to try Kinoma's forums and FAQ's. They may be able to help.
    swieder came over to our forum, and we talked about bandwidth testing and discovered he was getting 90-140 kbps over EDGE.

That should be enough for a great experience with podcasts encoded at 64 kbps, and even for a good experience with 96 kbps streams like the brand new Reuters streams I mention here:

http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/09/reute...a-media-guide/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Thankfully you guys help us identify broken/updated links in the Kinoma Media Guide, and we do our best to fix them ASAP.

swieder came over to our forum, and we talked about bandwidth testing and discovered he was getting 90-140 kbps over EDGE.

That should be enough for a great experience with podcasts encoded at 64 kbps, and even for a good experience with 96 kbps streams like the brand new Reuters streams I mention here:

http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/09/reute...a-media-guide/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I tried that Reuters stream after I got the e-mail about it, the other day. I was SO impressed. It was like watching tv - so smooth and clear.
    I tried that Reuters stream after I got the e-mail about it, the other day. I was SO impressed. It was like watching tv - so smooth and clear.
    Cool! It's very nice to hear that kind of feedback.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I'm a little confused. Will buying the full version allow me to see more streaming video channels than I can see now?

Will I be able to see the content at AOL video?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I'm a little confused. Will buying the full version allow me to see more streaming video channels than I can see now?

Me too?? I have a new 755p (Sprint) and it appears that Kinoma is preloaded and is automatically opened whenever the need arises.

Cheers, Randy
    Kinoma Player 4 EX support lots of formats, so the odds are that it can play any mobile-friendly stream you run across.

It includes the Kinoma Media Guide, which contains over 20,000 items. Some of these are excellent video streams from Reuters, PBS and others.

AOL Video doesn't appear to have a mobile-friendly site, or a way to get to video in a format other than SWF (which is effectively PC-only).

I'd be happy to try specific URLs for you, though.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99 View Post
    Me too?? I have a new 755p (Sprint) and it appears that Kinoma is preloaded and is automatically opened whenever the need arises.
    Yep, all current Palm OS Treo smartphones include the Kinoma Media Embedded mini-player for streaming playback. If that does everything you need, great!

(The first time it appears after a soft-reset, it also displays a click-able link where you can get a great upgrade deal.)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Last edited by Charles@Kinoma; 09/17/2007 at 04:34 PM.
    That's how you upgrade :-( I couldn't figure out how :-0 No matter. If you can get me to be able to watch the videos at archive.org I don't care about the price.

I'm having awful trouble with the videos under google education. I thought I had it straight, but...alas it just depended on which videos I clicked on. No biggy.

Sorry that I'm spreading out on two threads. Should I stick to this one? You have the patience of Job :-)

I understand how new all this tecnology is. I'm just hoping it's possible to get more video on my phone without having to go through a laptop. If not...well...that's OK. Just wait a year or two :-)
    That's how you upgrade :-( I couldn't figure out how :-0
    I'm sorry about that. Our forum is a great place to ask questions, and I drop in here whenever I can.

I'm having awful trouble with the videos under google education. I thought I had it straight, but...alas it just depended on which videos I clicked on. No biggy.
    Sadly, Google is starting to mix up videos without regard to format. It's a mess. We're looking for solutions, and hopefully we'll find one.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    looks like youtube doesn't work again .. is anyone else having that problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    looks like youtube doesn't work again .. is anyone else having that problem?
    It works in general, so is there a specific Kinoma Media Guide item or URL you can point us at?

-- Charles Wiltgen
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast