1.    #1  
    I just got a Sony laptop with the Vista Business operating system. I downloaded Palm's Beta Desktop software for Vista. I installed it and PdaNet.

All's well as long as I'm connecting to either with the usb cable. I can sometimes (rarely) perform Hotsync's via Bluetooth, but I can't ever seen to get PdaNet going through Bluetooth. Again, PdaNet is fine through the usb cable.

When I try PdaNet through Bluetooth, I quickly get a "Closing Bluetooth port" message, followed by "Unable to receive data from desktop (code=773)."

I know some of you have had general success with PdaNet on Vista, but what about Vista Business, on the 755p, via Bluetooth?

Any suggestions? I've already e-mailed PdaNet support (I've heard nothing back) and checked out their FAQs.

I have none of these problems on my Toshiba laptop (both laptops have internal Bluetooth). In fact, I can send files from my 755p to the Sony laptop with no problem, so I believe Bluetooth is functional. I switch COM ports on the Sony like CRAZY, trying to find the right one to work. Sometimes I get lucky with Hotsync Manager, but never with PdaNet. Please help.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Did you change the port from USB to BLUETOOTH on the handheld connect screen?
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    Well POO, I tried this with mine and I get the same error as you are getting...
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by WreckRman2 View Post
    Well POO, I tried this with mine and I get the same error as you are getting...
    Ouch.

Ironically, after trying to fix this for DAYS, as SOON as I posted this thread, I successfully got PdaNet to work on this (Vista Business) laptop via Bluetooth.

I all but eradicated "Windows Defender" and turned off "User Account Controls" which were actively blocking PdaNet (and the System Configuration Utility, believe it or not).

Then I deleted not one, but TWO, Bluetooth Com Ports (which you can access by going to Control Panel and switching to Classic View) - specifically the "server" COM ports - then creating one more. I then used that to HotSync. When that worked I went to PdaNet to use the same port, but PdaNet, as usual, froze on me when I tried to switch ports. I forced it closed, then restarted it.

When PdaNet restarted, it said that it was taking over the COM port from the HotSync app. I was cool with that, of course. When I started PdaNet this time, via Bluetooth, it worked beautifully.

In fact, I'm posting via PdaNet through Bluetooth, right now.

Oh yeah, and my battery life, before establishing this connection, was 7 hours and 41 minutes (99% remaining) - with Bluetooth and wireless on (but not active). THAT's a big reason why I went for a Sony TX instead of a Foleo - battery life is comparable if not superior on the SONY. Now that I'm DUN'g, battery life is at 6 hours and 22 minutes (97% remaining).
  5.    #5  
    The same kind of thing keeps happening. I tried some other stuff - including some a PdaNet rep. suggestion - but nothing worked until I tried to duplicate the steps I mentioned in my previous post.

Miraculously, the same steps produced the same results. This may sound like nothing, but digital predictability apparently isn't all it's cracked-up to be.
    you should just use usbmodem .. cheaper and way more reliable
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    you should just use usbmodem .. cheaper and way more reliable
    I've not heard much about usbmodem's reliability, but I'm pretty sure it's not cheaper. I think usbmodem is $24.99, while PdaNet is $19.99 for those of us who upgraded from the 650 version.
    yes it is cheaper to new customers that haven't used these type programs before. PDAnet is 34 bucks and you had to pay full price (until recently and will end soon) for every new version they make. USB modem is only 24.95 to new customers and they gave me a free upgrade from the 700p version to the 755p versions. Make up your own minds I guess.
  9.    #9  
    I suspect all or most systems have their own hiccups. I seem to have mastered this one. Here's my latest take:

When PdaNet (on the Treo - which is where I initiate the connection) says it cannot communicate with the PC and/or that it's closing the COM port, I close the application on the PC. I even open task manager and force any remaining PdaNet processes closed.

Then, if HotSync Manager isn't open, I open it. If it's already open, I leave it open.

Next, I open "Bluetooth Local COM" under Control Panel. I tell it to delete the COM port I'd been using before. If I don't know which one it was, I just tell it to delete one (or all) port(s) that says "LocalCOM-Server." That "Server" part is essential. I don't think "Client" works the same.

Following that, I immediately tell it to Add a COM port. When it asks which kind, I tell it to add the "server" kind. It even asks what number to call it. I usually try to delete the same port I'd been using, then add it, again. That way, I don't have to worry about changing the COM port numbers in the HotSync and PdaNet programs.

If you choose another number, just be sure to make sure that you tell HotSync to use that number you chose.

After completing the "Add" process, I verify that HotSync Manager has "serial" connection checked (and verify that it's got the right COM port number).

Then I open PdaNet. If it doesn't immediately state that it's taking over HotSync Manager's COM port/serial connection (same thing), then check PdaNet's settings and make sure the newly-created COM port is selected and that the Bluetooth connection option is checked.

When you press "OK" or whatever, PdaNet should say it's taking over the COM or serial port.

Initiate PdaNet from your Treo, making sure the Bluetooth option is enabled, and they should connect very nicely.

I've done this quite a few times, now, so I'm pretty confident about the process. I hope this helps someone.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Have been pulling my hair out trying to get this to work... Thanks west3man.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjperrymi View Post
    Have been pulling my hair out trying to get this to work... Thanks west3man.
    You're very welcome.
    I use PDANet extensively and the only time I have a problem is when I forget to disable ChatterEmail. Ben
    I had been having this problem with Vista Ultimate. I have enough Bluetooth Hotsync problems as it is. I think now though I'd much rather have a direct connection to my laptop if I used the phone for my internet connection
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products