Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I thought this was insane. Who would spend that much on a Palm game? $15 seems steep enough and $20 extreme, but $30 is just nuts. Do people actually fork over cash for games like this?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    same, 20 is my limit for a game, even then, knowing you wont use it on an ongoing basis, makes me think v seriously about even that sort of money

then again, if someone came up with an app that allowed me to play games on the top online chess server, ICC, i'd probably pay even more than 30!

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Yep, personally $9.99 is the sweet spot IMO for any Palm app. I'll pass up a $20 app for years even if it is really good if I don't really need it, but really good apps I'll buy right away if they only cost $9.99. I guess it is more psychological than anything but I think developers could make lots more money if they price their apps aggressively.
    D/L the trial and check it out (I'm not interested in a Palm soccer game). Maybe it is so great people would be willing to sped 30 bucks. I don't have many games on my Treo but the ones I've gotten were not over 10 bucks.

ET
    If it ain't freeware, it doesn't get installed on my Palms!

More than happy to send the freeware provider (be they commercial or hobbyist) a postcard or 'registration' if that's what they ask for, but there is so many really good programs out there for free, I cannot see the value in blowing the additional bucks. And I don't do any purchases over the internet involving credit card payments - however 'secure' they promise they are these days.

Having said that, I did recently blow $20 on VolumeCare (paid for via money order) when it became abundantly clear Palm has no plans to solve the weak phone volume issue on the 680 - but it was either that or toss the device into a drawer and go back to a 'real' cell phone. Not really cost effective

But to blow bucks on, most especially, a frivolous piece of software, especially when Palm themselves seem to have lost interest in the OS and the next Palm device will be running a completely different (Linux) OS? No. You might as well go about buying up programs for the Newton and Psion while you're at it......
    I have paid for some utilities that freeware does even better.
    Only software that I use constantly is Zlauncher, Backupman, Volumecare and DataShield.

Programs I bought that should have come with the device- Phonedisconnect (alert reminder) Voice Dialing.

Other software I purchased- Microquad, Jamdat Bowling, Holdem High, Phone Technician, FingerPainter

Best Freeware I use- PalmPuke for when card is ejected, Groups SMS, OnCradleOn, Handyshopper, MinutesPlus, Trace
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I have paid for some utilities that freeware does even better.
    Only software that I use constantly is Zlauncher, Backupman, Volumecare and DataShield.

Programs I bought that should have come with the device- Phonedisconnect (alert reminder) Voice Dialing.

Other software I purchased- Microquad, Jamdat Bowling, Holdem High, Phone Technician, FingerPainter

Best Freeware I use- PalmPuke for when card is ejected, Groups SMS, OnCradleOn, Handyshopper, MinutesPlus, Trace
    Group SMS is a great app, I use it almost every other day.

I don't pay for games. If I'm really in a jam I can play Bejeweled or Solitaire but I don't have my phone to play games, mainly because I'm easily unimpressed.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Just another perspective, I have had Treos for 7 years, I paid for Chatter a very long time ago and have never had to pay again. It is a necessary program for me. $30 is less than a crappy *** meal for two at Chili's, Applebees, Fridays, Red Robin... the program serves me better.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Just another perspective, I have had Treos for 7 years, I paid for Chatter a very long time ago and have never had to pay again. It is a necessary program for me. $30 is less than a crappy *** meal for two at Chili's, Applebees, Fridays, Red Robin... the program serves me better.
    So, let me get this straight - you'd rather blow $30 to be able to sit alone and answer email from friends and associates, rather than spend the same to actually socialize with these people?

Jeez, small wonder the world is becoming a more xenophobic place and we are losing all social skills. Palm made be fairly awful, but never before did I consider it (or its available software) the downfall of civility...

Even though its 30.00 it looks pretty sweet. Games should be around the 9.95 price and utilities around 14.95. I use datashield which is 19.95, and thats as high as I will go for software. SplashID, Ringpro, etc. at 29.95 is absolutely insane IMHO.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    So, let me get this straight - you'd rather blow $30 to be able to sit alone and answer email from friends and associates, rather than spend the same to actually socialize with these people?

Jeez, small wonder the world is becoming a more xenophobic place and we are losing all social skills. Palm made be fairly awful, but never before did I consider it (or its available software) the downfall of civility...

\
    C'mon, the point was in the long run $30 isn't much when compared to something that is over in a moment like a meal, and the investment lasts for years. He didn't say he'd rather check mail on his cel phone than have dinner with friends, I presume he could afford to do both.
    Yeah but Chatter is one of those programs that allows you to upgrade. Others charge not for incremental but major upgrades. For instance I bought backupman 1.xxx, and now they are on 2.xx and I have to pay full $15.00 to upgrade!! Thats ridiculous.
    I've spent around $45-$75 on Nursing apps for my wifes 700p(more than 1), $99 on my Pocket Express(yearly)for my 755p plus many, many other apps & games...so I guess I'm a sucker.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter