Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hello!

I'm a noobie with my palm treo 700p. I installed Versamail and added Gmail. I read that I could have push mail if I downloaded "Chattermail." So I did. Now I have ChatterEmail and I want to have my Gmail account using push mail. I really dont know but I think IMAP is the push mail. So how do I configure my Gmail account in ChatterEmail IMAP? Thx! =)
    You need an IMAP account for push mail (GMail operates via a POP server, not IMAP). The best option is to have your Gmail account forewarded to an IMAP server/account. I have used everyone.net which used to be promoted on Marc Blank's chattermail site. It runs about $10 every 6 months. I have found it to be very reliable as opposed to no cost options like fastmail. As an example, if I am sitting at my PC and mail is sent to my Gmail account, I generally get a Chatter alert on my Treo before the Gmail notifier alert on my desktop.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Yep, what phillydog said. You need to forward GMail to a IMAP e-mail account/server. It is DEFINATELY worth it to do this. Two things to be careful of; the first is that using Chatter with IMAP is going to hit your battery hard. You can probably make it throguh the day OK but you'll have to put it on the charger every night, for example. I have just gotten into the habit of using the Treo throughout the day and putting it on the charger every night. Second, push e-mail is addicting. Once you start IMAP with Chatter it's hard to quit!
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    It's cheaper and easier to just setup ChatterEmail to pop your gmail account every 10 or 30 minutes. Works well enough for me. If you really need "push" with your gmail account, just have it check mail every five minutes.

If you really need IMAP, then sure, do the other things.

-Chris
    My Treo starts life at 6A and is attached to the charger at 10P. In addition, it is fed throughout the day when I am in the car and when I am not in the car, it sees frequent use. My last stop of the day has it running DTG and a Word document that I use to record on hand inventory and then mail it to the office. Is IMAP addicting? Sure is. Is it handy? Sure is. Is it worth it? Sure is. Do I POP? All of my POP accounts are forwarded to one of my IMAP accounts and the secondary IMAP account goes to my primary IMAP account.

Ben
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdeckard View Post
    It's cheaper and easier to just setup ChatterEmail to pop your gmail account every 10 or 30 minutes. Works well enough for me. If you really need "push" with your gmail account, just have it check mail every five minutes.

-Chris

Yes this will work but I found Gmail's pop to be less than 100% reliable. Also you can't use pop on more than one device. What one downloads the other won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    Yes this will work but I found Gmail's pop to be less than 100% reliable. Also you can't use pop on more than one device. What one downloads the other won't.
    Well, you really do get what you pay for. Most of the free email services out there are not 100% reliable.

Both Chatter and Verismail have a POP3 option to leave the message on the server instead of deleting it. Set this option on your handhelds and desktop client, then you should be able to see the messages from multiple locations.

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdeckard View Post

-Chris
    Agreed!!

It is not uncommon to see more lag on these free email services vs a "commercial" setup (i.e., lag being the time between when a message was sent and when it is received) Given this increased lag on these free service, Push doesn't gain you much over frequently polling the server for new messages. If the only reason you are paying for the IMAP service is so that you can activate the push email on Chatter, then you really are wasting your money.

People have made good arguments for the utility of push (e.g., a server sending you a warning message saying it is about to catch on fire because the AC blew out), but for most people it is just a neat thing to have.

Yes, push email via Chatter is going to really nail your battery. Typically, I can make it through a good 10hr day without charging. However, if I make a bunch of phone calls or use the data a fair bit I start looking for a charger after 6-8hrs. I suspect buying a high capacity battery would help quite a bit.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    AOL's free IMAP has been working well for me for several months. Gmail forwards to AOL which is pushed to Chatteremail.
    I use POP3 on my laptop, set to download and delete from the server, and IMAP on the same accounts with Chatter on my Treo. That way, all the messages are kept on the laptop, but when I'm away from the laptop, I can get unread mail on my Treo. Once I've downloaded it on my laptop, when the Treo syncs with these accounts, the messages are deleted. This way, I have a permanent record of all my messages on the laptop, but my Treo remains uncluttered with old messages.