1.    #1  
    I've had a Treo 700p for a few months now, and I'm pretty happy with it, other than it freaking out every now and again (fairly rarely) and having to be reset. Each time it happens, though, I end up having to manually reconfigure the whole thing, and since I keep thinking "oh, this will probably never happen again," I never have the forethought to take notes and make the process easier on myself. At this point, though, I think I've got the capability for a setup that would provide a fairly pain-free restoration. Here's what I'm thinking:

I have a 64MB SD FAT card and an 8GB SDHC FAT32 card. Optimally, I'd like to keep all my media on the 8GB, and have the 64MB be my backup card for my PRC files, settings, contacts, databases, etc. I'm trying to see if there's a way that, in the event of a hard reset with no computer access, I could restore my Treo to a functionally identical state with minimal loss of information. This is (I'm guessing) further complicated by requiring the "installation" of the Treo 650 FAT32 PRC file to enable access to the 8GB card. It's been so long since I got that part working that I've pretty much forgotten how to even do it, so any help here would be most welcome.

Honestly, I'm a bit at a loss as to how I would accomplish this. If anyone's got any insight they could bestow upon me, I would be most grateful, as I'm kind of stabbing in the dark here. Are there existing software options that will accomplish this with a minimal amount of fuss? Thanks in advance...
    upload the sdhc file to a free online storage (box.net is great & has a mobile version of the site). Once you hard reset the phone just log in to the website & download the sdhc prc file & voila. You should be able to access your card...
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for reminding me, but I should have mentioned that I don't have a data plan for the 700p. I had unlimited access for a month, used it maybe a few times to check my email on the go, and then decided it certainly wasn't worth $45/mo for what I was doing with it.

Is there any way to run an application straight from the 64MB card that would allow me to transfer the file from there? My hypothetical optimal situation would be as follows:

1) Phone crashes, so I do a hard reset.
    2) Pop in 64MB card.
    3) Install FAT32 drivers and restore backups from the card.
    4) put in my 8GB card and act like nothing happened.

Is this possible?
    nvbackup would allow that. The question I have is: would you remember to change the cards so you could do your backup?

I would simply use the 8GB card for your backups and not bother with the smaller one. Can you still get data at all? I would hope that this isn't a consistant problems that would require you to download that file often. If you can get data but pay per MB, it shouldn't be too expensive to get that file when you need it. Then you would only need to keep track of one card.
    Why would you need an unlimited data plan? You would only need to download the file after a hard reset (emergencies). You would barely use the data when you needed to & you would not need to download this file that often...
  6.    #6  
    I didn't know that I could do the "pay-as-you-go" route, but apparently I can (thanks for the tip). Seeing as how it only costs about $0.75 each time I download that file, I think I'll be alright there. However, I'd like to also have the option to load the file from the card, as this would make me feel better about experimenting with third party apps if I know I can wipe my phone whenever, for free. What, if any, applications would I need to put on the 64MB card to do this?

Edit: Figured it out (menu->app->copy). Thanks to everyone above for the input
    Last edited by Primathon; 08/22/2007 at 02:29 AM.
    If you have or will have the MR, it will recognize the 8gb card. If you don't, you can put Filez in the Palm folder of the 64 card and the sdio driver anywhere on the card. Then you can pop the card in, go to Filez, and copy the driver to your Treo.
  8.    #8  
    I've been hearing hellish horror stories about the MR - has that been resolved yet? If it matters, I'm on Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primathon View Post
    I've been hearing hellish horror stories about the MR - has that been resolved yet? If it matters, I'm on Verizon.
    If you don't have it, just wait. They will hopefully have a fix for it soon.

However, since you don't have a data plan, you might consider it, since most of the problems had to do with network connectivity.
  10.    #10  
    Yeah, I've used my data connection twice in the last four months. Are there any marked improvements over 1.06 that would make it worth the risk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Primathon View Post
    Yeah, I've used my data connection twice in the last four months. Are there any marked improvements over 1.06 that would make it worth the risk?

Better use of sms, by reducing the lag/delays and the message receipts. General reduction in delays and lags. Skipping in PocketTunes is reduced or eliminated. Many people say the bluetooth is working much better.
  12.    #12  
    I might just give it a shot. Thanks for the tip, as well as the above advice