1.    #1  
    I've had a Treo 700p for over a year, but finally got sick of dealing with its multiple software bugs. I found the hardware to be very solid for PDA and email use, but - as usual for Treos - the phone (voice) aspect of the 700p was somewhat lacking. (Even the most basic feature phones seem to have better voice quality than any Treos I've seen over the years.)

Eventually, I contacted Sprint to have them replace my 700p with a 755p. I had held off on doing this for several months, initially hoping that the Messiah-like Maintenance Release would deliver me unto the promised land of Smartphone Stability. When it turned out that the Maintenance Release Idol had feet of clay I still held off on switching to the 755p because of my $200 investment in 700p-specific aftermarket batteries (Seidio), 4 GB SD cards, battery covers and cases. A couple of weeks ago, after what was probably my 500th reset with my 700p I told Sprint to go ahead and send the replacement 755p.

While in the local Sprint store I took a look at a display 755p and was surprised to see what a difference removing the external antenna made in its perceived size. I did notice, however, that the display model's screen seemed to have unrealistic "neon-like", overly-vibrant colors and the buttons had a cheap, plasticky feel. While many have reported being impressed with the new soft-touch rubberized finish, my first impression of the 755p was that it appeared to be more cheaply-made than my 700p. I waited for my replacement 755p to arrive, hoping that the Sprint Store display model was not representative of the new Treos. My 755p arrived a week ago and had the same artificially vibrant display and cheap buttons as the display. The application buttons are no longer discrete buttons, but rather have been replaced by simpler rocker buttons. The D-pad squeaked whenever it was moved slightly downward. On top of that, the sceen brightness kept spontaneously changing from bright to medium to dim every few minutes. (And no third party applications were installed.) Overall the device seemed to be a step downwards from the 700p in terms of build quality.

Has anyone else here noticed the similar differences in screen and build quality between the 700p and the 755p? Does anyone know who is building the 755p for Palm? Inventec reportedly built the 700p and 680 and I believe are producing the 755p as well. (Palm seems to be in the midst of severing ties with HTC for all but its remaining Windows Mobile Treos.) Is my experience an anomaly, or is the quality control at Inventec slipping?

Fortunately, I never updated my old 700p with the Maintenance Release. If the replacement 755p that Sprint is sending has the same problems as the first one, I think I'm going to go back to using the 700p until it dies and then just give up on Palm. A small Bluetooth Sony Ericsson dumbphone and a Bluetooth Sony CLIE are starting to look more and more appealing each time my Treo crashes.

First off that red is very hard on the eyes or I am getting old...

Cheaply made I dont think so in my opinion sure the stylus is flimsy but I have to say I probably pulled my stylus out 4 times max and Ive owned the phone since it was released as I did the 700p for Sprint.

The 755p is stable as everyone talks about here. I am sure you wont have a problem if you want a 700p getting someone to trade you.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MsRandall View Post
    First off that red is very hard on the eyes or I am getting old...

Cheaply made I dont think so in my opinion sure the stylus is flimsy but I have to say I probably pulled my stylus out 4 times max and Ive owned the phone since it was released as I did the 700p for Sprint.

The 755p is stable as everyone talks about here. I am sure you wont have a problem if you want a 700p getting someone to trade you.
    You must be getting old.

Yes the stylus is a joke, but I think it's such a trivial point that I didn't even bother mentioning it.

So on your Treo 755p have you not noticed that the screen and buttons are inferior to the 700p?

I actually still have my 700p, but thanks for the offer. Tonight I'm going to check to see if the build quality issues that I noticed on my initial 755p are present on other demos in two other local Sprint stores. If they are, then I'll probably ask Sprint to see if they can send me a non-updated 700p instead.
    Never owned a 700. Went from a 650 to 755. 755 is rock solid, both in terms of hardware and software. As far as I'm concerned, it is the best smartphone available out there today.
    Funny my son who works for Sprint doesnt care for the 755p either and has a 700p that he bought off ebay new since Sprint didnt have any about 3 weeks ago. So you are not the only one...
    I've had (and still do) a 600, 650, 700P and now 755P. The 755P is by far the best Palm Treo I've ever owned. It's what the 700 should have been, in my opinion.

The keys feel a little less clicky than the 700's, but I like it a lot. I do have the constant dimming of the screen, but I always thought it was a power saving feature. Doesn't bother me particualrly, but you're right to point it out.
    I did like the separate buttons on the 700p versus the 2 for 1 rocker style buttons on the 755 (referring to the 4 main buttons under the screen).
    Other than that it does not seem a whole lot different other than weight and grippiness.
    Okay this is my first treo and I have to say I am very impressed with the phone. I have owned quite a few phones over the years and this has to be by far the best I have owned. I have looked at different treos but none ever caught my eye like the 755p. It feel soidly built with just the right heft to it. I hate phones that have no wieght to them. the keys all respond well and quickly. The Screen has vibrant colors (and no I dont have the dimming issues) There just isnt anything you can really say bad about this phone. Although I would have liked them to include an onscreen keyboard as the buttons are a tad small for my big, meaty hands. Palm got this one right!
    you can do a menu K to get your keyboard :-)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MsRandall View Post
    Funny my son who works for Sprint doesnt care for the 755p either and has a 700p that he bought off ebay new since Sprint didnt have any about 3 weeks ago. So you are not the only one...
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me why your son didn't like the 755p? Also can you ask him if he knows whether or not Sprint is completely out of stock of 700p (preferrably non-updated) or was that just the case when he was looking?

I really like the fact that the external antenna was FINALLY removed from the Treo (after 5 years!) but the 755p standard battery life is so short that I bought the Sprint extended battery + the bigger battery door. With the hump from the bigger battery I might as well be carrying a 700p + its convenient grab handle ;-). I wish I had realized that all of my old 700p batteries would fit the 755p - all I really needed to buy was the bigger battery door. Great - another $50 wasted...

The reported OS stability is the other HUGE plus in favor of the 755p, but I'm wondering about just switching all of my apps except Chatteremail, Butler, GoogleMaps, Directory Assistant and Comet to a CLIE and using the 700p with those bare essentials until it dies.

Any other opinions from people here that have actually owned both the 700p and 755p would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    I've had (and still do) a 600, 650, 700P and now 755P. The 755P is by far the best Palm Treo I've ever owned. It's what the 700 should have been, in my opinion.

The keys feel a little less clicky than the 700's, but I like it a lot. I do have the constant dimming of the screen, but I always thought it was a power saving feature. Doesn't bother me particualrly, but you're right to point it out.

Does your screen constantly change from bright to medium to dark all by itself? It's VERY annoying, especially if using the 755p at night or in a dark room. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before.

Does anyone know if Inventec is manufacturing the Treo 755? The parts spec seems to be a grade below the 700p, but then again the phone is selling for $150 - $200 less than the 700p did when it first came out last year. I suspect the 700p specs/build of materials simply cost too much for Palm to have produced for them to sell at a price that competes with phones like the Blackjack, Motorola Q, etc. And HTC seems to have turned the tables on Palm and is now cannibalizing the sales of its former close partner. The cell phone biz is really dog eat dog. Its amazing the Treo + Palm are still around with such ruthless competition. Just goes to show what a near-perfect design the Treo 600 was.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    Does your screen constantly change from bright to medium to dark all by itself? It's VERY annoying, especially if using the 755p at night or in a dark room. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before.
    It does, but not "constantly". it goes completely dark after the specified power save time in your preferences, which is normal. other than that, I have seen it dim to about half brightness after a few seconds of no activity in some other apps, such as iSilo. Never happens in a game or a video playing in TCPMP for example.

Its amazing the Treo + Palm are still around with such ruthless competition. Just goes to show what a near-perfect design the Treo 600 was.
    I agree. The Treo 600 is still an incredible device, they got so much right that first time, from the hand feel to the keyboard and the general operation of the device. That is why I was one of the more disgruntled users when the 650 and the 700 came out. They both felt like 1 step forward and 3 backwards (or not even one step forward in the case of the 700p). Each got more sluggish, more inconsistent, buggier, and less user friendly than the last. I absolutely hated my 650, and I wanted to love my 700 but it was a completely disfunctional device, to the point that I stopped using all of its "smartphone" features and limited myself to using it for contacts and phone calls, nothing else.

Anyway - the 755P feels like a very well designed and engineered device in your hand. The materials themselves may feel a little flimsier than the 700P, but they certainly feel like they fit better with each other. The overall feel is very, very solid and nice.
  13.    #13  
    It does, but not "constantly". it goes completely dark after the specified power save time in your preferences, which is normal. other than that, I have seen it dim to about half brightness after a few seconds of no activity in some other apps, such as iSilo. Never happens in a game or a video playing in TCPMP for example.
    Maybe there's something wrong with my 755p then (capacitor?). In Blazer the screen brightness seems to randomly cycle over 3 levels.

I agree. The Treo 600 is still an incredible device, they got so much right that first time, from the hand feel to the keyboard and the general operation of the device. That is why I was one of the more disgruntled users when the 650 and the 700 came out. They both felt like 1 step forward and 3 backwards (or not even one step forward in the case of the 700p). Each got more sluggish, more inconsistent, buggier, and less user friendly than the last. I absolutely hated my 650, and I wanted to love my 700 but it was a completely disfunctional device, to the point that I stopped using all of its "smartphone" features and limited myself to using it for contacts and phone calls, nothing else.

Anyway - the 755P feels like a very well designed and engineered device in your hand. The materials themselves may feel a little flimsier than the 700P, but they certainly feel like they fit better with each other. The overall feel is very, very solid and nice.
    Yes, the Treo 600 will go down in history as an all-time classic design, right up there with the original Pilot 1000. I got one of the first 600 released way back in October or November 2003. Loved the design but returned it because of all the bugs and went back to a combination of a Sony CLIE + a small dumbphone. I skipped the 650 (like you said "1 step forward and 3 backwards" but I got lured back with the promise of EVDO on the 700p. I use PdaNet + my $22! SERO plan as my only Internet provider!
  14.    #14  
    Great. Srceen is all dim again.

It's funny that you said you ended up using your 700p only for contacts + as a phone. I did the opposite - I ended up using my 700p primarily for email, Internet, Directory Assistant, GoogleMaps and as a high speed modem, leaving contacts and REAL phone usage to a high quality dumbphone. I think the voice quality on Treos has always been horrible and that's one compromise I've refused to make despite having bought a so-called "convergence" device.

As tiny, stylish dumbphones (check out the latest Sony Ericssons) get smarter and smarter every year Palm may soon find that the Treo's raison d'etre no longer exists. Without either tiny size like dumbphones or a large screen like the iPhone, in my opinion Treos are at high risk of getting caught in no man's land in the blink of an eye.
    The 755p did feel more cheaply made than the 700p when I first picked it up in the Sprint store, though I must say that overall, I like it more than the 700p. It feels noticeably smaller, the grip is MUCH better, and the screen is better. The screen colors are more vibrant, maybe a bit exaggerated, but still better. If you look at the 700p screen closely (especially in bright light), it has a grid of dots that overlay the screen, the 755p does not.
    well I haven't owned a treo before but I have had lots of different cell phones, and I have to say the sound quality on the 755 is probably the best I have ever had. The handset sound is full and robust, and the speaker phone is equally good. I have had people borrow my phone and when they were done they said they would have to see about getting one themselves.
  17.    #17  
    Well it looks like the problems I noticed with the 755p were not limited to my phone. I checked 2 Sprint stores and the display models both had the same overdone "neon-like" colors and cheap buttons I had noticed on my new 755p. One of them even had the issue of screen brightness cycling every few minutes when using Blazer.

I ended up reactivating my old Treo 700p today and will relegate the 755p to being the phone on our backup line when the replacement 755p arrives.

To the poster who said "the sound quality on the 755 is probably the best I have ever had": ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? The 755p sounds like utter crap - as do all Treos. Get an old Nokia, a Sony Ericsson T608 or an old Samsung i500 if you want to hear good sound quality.
    Well it looks like the problems I noticed with the 755p were not limited to my phone. I checked 2 Sprint stores and the display models both had the same overdone "neon-like" colors and cheap buttons I had noticed on my new 755p. One of them even had the issue of screen brightness cycling every few minutes when using Blazer.

I ended up reactivating my old Treo 700p today and will relegate the 755p to being the phone on our backup line when the replacement 755p arrives.

To the poster who said "the sound quality on the 755 is probably the best I have ever had": ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? The 755p sounds like utter crap - as do all Treos. Get an old Nokia, a Sony Ericsson T608 or an old Samsung i500 if you want to hear good sound quality.
    Well I have had a few 5100 series nokia's and yeah the sound quality was nice, but I still feel that the treo is better and my feelings are valid for two reasons. One. People who have used my treo love the sound quality, and Two. it is my opinion, not gospel..LOL Im not saying every treo has great quality, but mine does. Oh and one more thing before I buy a phone, or any other thing online I do my research and most of the reviews I read had no problem with the sound quality of the treo 755p. If it had been sub par I wouldn't have purchased it.

I ended up reactivating my old Treo 700p today and will relegate the 755p to being the phone on our backup line when the replacement 755p arrives..
    I suspect that some of your negative reaction to the 755 is simply because it is a new device. There really is quite a difference between the 700p and the 755p from a look and feel standpoint alone. Perhaps if you use it for a week or so, you may come to like it more. If Sprint is like Verizon, you typically have 10-15 days to try out a device before you need to send the old one back.

I am REALLY picky when it comes to handset earpiece quality. I've been known to take 1-2 phones back before I get the one I really like. While the Treo is not the best handset I've owned with respect to earpiece quality, I am very happy with it. I find the handset to have plenty of volume and the sound quality is good.

I agree with you about the Samsung i500. I owned one at is had the best earpiece quality of any phone I've owned.

TKOS
    755P is a much better improvement than any other Treo I have had before. Battery life, is an issue, not a deal breaker. I take this keyboard feel over any previous Treo.
    As far as neony, I suspect that the color is better corrected in this phone than others. I am sitting here comparing the screens between my 650s and 755Ps. The resolution is the same. My 755Ps appears crisper because it is better color corrected or whiter than my 650s which sitting side by side with 755Ps looks bluer. I have a 600 too.