Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, I finally took the plunge and ordered my 8mb springboard module. Now that I have all that free space I'd like to get a good dictionary. Has anyone seen a good third party review of dictionary software? Anybody tried more than one program so they can compare? I used to have Noah Lite (2mg version) and deleted it because I ran out of space, but I'd really like to have something a little better--it seemed like most of the words I looked up weren't there. I'm not interested in the separate springboard module, but was thinking about NoahPro or the Franklin (Webster) version. Any advice? Which has better compression?
    Get Nosh pro. manymanymany more words.. I would talk more but I have a bloody nose...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I have the Franklin M-W dict and I love it. The only thing I wish for is a pronunciation chart for the words. I bought it over the big Noah because it is very complete for the size (2.2mb). It also includes a spelling tool which works very well. I wish Franklin made more reference tools for the reader because it takes up a lot of space. the big Noah dict is ultra-complete, almost an encyclopedia, but the entries (definitions) are too small to call it an encyclopedia. the full dictionary is also 5mb+ so remember you paid $10per-meg for that module. My favorite language reference is my wordsleuth thesaurus. If you ever have trouble coming up with the right words, the wordsleuth will cure it. It is awesome!
    I registered Noah Pro because I wanted the Devil's Dictionary and the advanced light database. I'd drop it in a heartbeat if Franklin came out with the M-W dictionary that was edge specific, as I mentioned previously.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I recently did a comparison, as I was in the market for a good dictionary (still haven't decided):

BDicty
    Price: $10 for reader + $25 for English Dictionary (35K entries, 2MB), Free English Thesaurus
    Features: Look-up from other apps (using command stroke then tapping find), external memory card support "soon".

MiD
    Price: $16
    Features: Pop-up screen allows you to get definitions without leaving current app, recent word history, cut/paste definition into current app
    ? entries, 3.5MB

Noah Pro
    Price: $20
    Features: ability to create your own dictionaries, history of 5 last accessed words, 'better' compression, auto-lookup of word in clipboard, support for external memory 'planned'
    Largest dictionary: 120K entires, 3.9MB (w/o usage samples)

Noah Lite
    Price: FREE!
    Features: auto-lookup of word in clipboard
    Largest dictionary: 120K entries, 5.1MB

Franklin M-W Dictionary:
    Price $50 (module), $30 (just app)
    Features: 100K words, 3MB, Phonetic spell correction, 'to help you find words even if you don't know how to spell them', Inflection technology that allows you to type in any form of a word and get its root entry, e.g., typing "has" will bring up "have", Wildcard search capability that lets you find entries using prefixes, suffixes, and other common word elements

Landware Pocket Webster Dictionary (cancelled):
    Price $30

For me, the most important feature is the support for reading databases directly off expansion memory cards (I have a Palm m505, but this could be important for CF Adapter or MemPlug users too). I would also like a dictionary that allows you to lookup definitions without leaving your current app just by highlighting a word and using some special activation stroke. Of course, before I even consider buying a dictionary app, I need to have some confidence in the completeness and accuracy of the database.
    Last edited by Rob; 05/18/2001 at 01:36 AM.
    Rob -- thanks greatly for your comparison of the Dictionary programs. I'm considering purchasing one, and your article saved me a lot of time.

One question: does anyone know whether the Franklin M-W Dictionary -- in the SW form (not the module) -- will run in a Flash ROM module? I'd be amazed if it didn't -- I'm assuming the software in the module is the same as the standalone software -- but I thought I'd ask.

I'm thinking of getting a ThinModem+ and storing the dictionary software in the Flash ROM.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Thanks for the comparison. Now I don't have to bug DickRichardson about his dictionaries anymore...!

Looks like Noah Pro is the way for me!
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Thanks for the comparison. Now I don't have to bug DickRichardson about his dictionaries anymore...!

Looks like Noah Pro is the way for me!
    I had been waiting.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

I had been waiting.
    I know. I had to choose bewt. looking up words & preparing wedding invitation maps, directions, addresses. Sorry.
  10. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts

I know. I had to choose bewt. looking up words & preparing wedding invitation maps, directions, addresses. Sorry.
    And you chose the wedding invitations?!?!?! Jeez, get your priorities straight!!!

p.s. Congratulations! (assuming the wedding invitations you were preparing were for your wedding...)
    It's all good. I was looking forward to expanding my vocabulary, but I'll just sound like a third grader a little while longer. Thanks .

j/k

BTW, congratulations!
    -Joshua
    Thanks for the congrats, all.. This is a big summer for me:

1) I learn to use my VDX in ways I never thought possible
    2) I'm getting married
    3) I got into grad school

(...in order of importance???)
    I have the M-W dictionary--software, not module, and it runs fine from my 8MB flash module. I would disagree, however, with a previous poster who called it very complete for it's size. I find it to be very incomplete. Most words I need to look up are not in there. And the definitions that are there are pretty short and skimpy--not full, detailed definitions. It's ok, but it's no better than a basic paperback dictionary.
    Originally posted by bookrats
    does anyone know whether the Franklin M-W Dictionary -- in the Soft Ware form (not the module) -- will run in a Flash ROM module?
    Yes, it will run from flash. I have mine on a flash module.
    OK...I'm lazy...can someone tell me where I can download Noah Lite?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by staylor65
    OK...I'm lazy...can someone tell me where I can download Noah Lite?

Thanks!
    I hope clicking the link isn't too much work for you. Extra word compilations can be downloaded here.
    -Joshua
    It's fun bringing a thread back from the dead!

Anyway, which dictionary has the BEST definitions? Most full and correct? I assumed it was the franklin, because it had Mirriam Webster. But you say it doesn't. So what does?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Y'know, this is something I'd love to see the VisorCentral staff do a head-to-head comparison about.

Now that I've got VFSHelper on my VDX and tons of space on my CF card, both BDicty and Noah Lite look like good choices. However, as usual, it's content, content, content...

I tend to look for more obscure words (like "acerbate"), and see if they show up in the thesaurus software.

I'd be interested to hear anyone who's done a "picky person's" evaluation of the various Palm dictionaries. I checked the VisorCentral archives, and the various choices seem pretty good functionally. I just haven't heard much about how good the word count is.

(And yeah, I want an OED module...)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I didn't do too many detailed comparisons, but went and bought NoahPro for the CF access (and I've had ArsLexis's Thesaurus for some time). ButI have yet to look up a word that wasn't there.

I just started graduate school (again), so it's getting a good workout as I write papers. I like that it contains words/phrases that are really more slang than proper words. For example, I looked up hell-bent, and it was there. Let's see last several searches were: harangue, circumfuse, circumvolution, parsimony, theodolite, historiography, belletristic, monism, ineluctable, reification, mimetic.

And just now I was browsing through to see what could be seen and found lemaireocereus: "tropical American cacti usually tall and branching with stout spines and funnel-shaped flowers and globular or ovoid often edible fruit"

The first entry in the database is for 's gravenhage: the capital of The Netherlands, and the last is zyrian: the Finnic language spoken by the Komi people

Complete enough?
    Originally posted by Anomaly
    Complete enough?
    Nooooo, I mean complete definitions.

And one more question: why is the version number of Noah Lite .65? Is it a beta version? Is there an update coming?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast