1.    #1  
    I've had a Treo 650 for the past couple of years. I am sold on the Treo as a PDA, but I've always felt the phone performance lacking (volume, BT, etc.). I went as far as buying a used Blackjack on eBay looking for better phone performance and smaller size, but the PDA functionality was awful so I am selling it.

So my question is this: Is the 680 a better "phone" than the 650? Is the BT and volume performance better?

Battery issue aside, I am hoping that Palm made improvements on the phone aspect of the 680 and look for your confirmation.

Thanks

Chris
    680 definetly has better bluetooth. On my headset, the range is horrible with the 650, not to mention crackling, but on the 680 the range is pretty good and no crackling.

680 also has better earpiece volume than the 650, and better sounding speaker, but volume is way too low.

I still have a 650 and use it quite often because it's faster, and finds signals faster, and I like the shape better.
    680 phone seems to be slightly worse on most counts.
    In my case, 680 was a vast improvement over the 650. The Treo 680's radio holds the signal better, and sound quality is much improved. I still use "Volume Care" to boost the call volume, but clarity is much better than in the 650.

Overall the 680 is much more usable as a phone than my 650 ever was!

Just my experience...
    I have had similar resultsas the previous poster. I feel it is better, I get less comments from the other end as well.

YMMV
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

No contest for me. The 680 is vastly superior to my volume-challenged 650. Most calls on my 680 are clear and crisp, like both parties are on land lines.
    I still use VC with my 680. I was hoping for better phone performance compared to the 650, but that has not been my experience. The quality of calls and signal strength on the 2 models seems the same to me.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I also continue to use VC, but only on noisy city streets or if the car windows are open, I'd give the 680 a slight edge there. Blueteeth is certainly much better -- connection stability is about the same, though once or twice I've had resets when something conflicts, a call incoming while BT is pairing or an SMS message coming in.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I was hesitant upgrading from the T650 to 680. On paper there isn't much difference, but for me at least, all the small changes added up to a much better handset. The sound and BT is better on the Treo 680 IMO.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the information. With this and the ebay thread I might just pull the trigger on one.

Chris
    Bluetooth is better on the 680. Its connects faster. Every other function is abt the same....
    Like the 5 or 6 before ... ditto! My 680 kills my 650 as a phone. The coverage is like night and day. Even better than my excellent SE T637. The volume is improved, but also the quality of the sound is muuuuch better. Speakerphone is clearer and louder. BT was a joke on my old SE headset, but the new Jawbone has made me a believer. BT DUN is simplified and more stable. Surfing the web is faster and smoother significantly. That's my experience.
    Patrick Horne
    I love them both, but the 680 performs better...
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Like the 5 or 6 before ... ditto! My 680 kills my 650 as a phone. The coverage is like night and day. Even better than my excellent SE T637. The volume is improved, but also the quality of the sound is muuuuch better. Speakerphone is clearer and louder. BT was a joke on my old SE headset, but the new Jawbone has made me a believer. BT DUN is simplified and more stable. Surfing the web is faster and smoother significantly. That's my experience.
    As a phone, the 650 was better for me. Coverage was like night and day, but the 650 was the day. The volume is worse on the 680, and the speakerphone sucks. BT is better, but I'm talking about the phone.
    the 680 is definitely better than the 650... i owned a 650 and it was a good decision to migrate to a 680!