Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    is there a program for my 700p that will play wmv's, and will hold the playing of streaming videos until a sufficient buffer exists?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by costanza View Post
    is there a program for my 700p that will play wmv's, and will hold the playing of streaming videos until a sufficient buffer exists?
    Kind of. Kinoma 4 will play a very select few (WMV version 9 only). This is only a very small number of available WMV files. Additionally if they are high quality, they still won't play, even if they are the right version. I get messages such as "requirements too high for playback" even using the right WMV file. Kinoma support says that Windows had only licensed v. 9, so nobody can play them on a handheld. If I were asked to name the single most overrated program for the Palm, Kinoma would be it. It plays music, but that's about it. EVen the items on their Media page don't play, and there is no trial period.....you've got to buy it outright. TCPMP is a great player for AVI and MPEG files, but it won't stream them. There is a huge need for a single player that can actually play everything within reason.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Kinoma 4 will play a very select few (WMV version 9 only). This is only a very small number of available WMV files.
    Windows Media Video 9 was introduced in 2002, so at this point it's pretty difficult to find files using Microsoft's older video codecs.

    If you have some really old Windows Media files that you need to play on your Palm, it's straightforward to transcode them into WMV9 format using Kinoma Producer or similar applications.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Additionally if they are high quality, they still won't play, even if they are the right version.
    The only limit is the computational power of your device. If you have a file that was intended for broadband and/or PC playback, then a smartphone isn't going to be able to play it.

    As with files in odd or old formats, you can just transcode it. I'm happy to give you pointers if you've never done that before.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post

    The only limit is the computational power of your device. If you have a file that was intended for broadband and/or PC playback, then a smartphone isn't going to be able to play it.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    And there's the rub. Kinoma does what it does fine. What it doesn't do is play most WMV files posted on the web that are there for PC download....which is the vast majority of WMV files available. Yes, the handhelds are limited, but TCPMP will play back (from the device) almost all MPEG files, regardless of quality. Kinoma will not play back WMV files from the device if the quality is too high. Like it said, it does what it does fine; it just doesn't do what I thought it would do, or what I need it to do.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    And there's the rub. Kinoma does what it does fine. What it doesn't do is play most WMV files posted on the web that are there for PC download....which is the vast majority of WMV files available.
    True. It's useful to remember that if you're using mobile video, you're effectively living in the future. Everything's not quite plug-and-play yet.

    Over the next few years, the thought of content providers not having mobile-optimized streams will seem silly, and Kinoma Media Guide will continue to include the best of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Yes, the handhelds are limited, but TCPMP will play back (from the device) almost all MPEG files, regardless of quality. Kinoma will not play back WMV files from the device if the quality is too high.
    MPEG-1 is fifteen years old and a few generations behind modern codecs like WMV 9, so it computationally far simpler to decode.

    I'm sorry Kinoma Player doesn't directly support your MPEG-1 files, but there aren't many of them out there, they're easy to transcode, and (as you mention) there are other options for that. Our priority has to be mobile-focused codecs and formats.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  6. sopranoiam's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #6  
    I have a Centro and a 755p...when I receive video in the email, it always says my phone does not handle that type of media? Is there some program that is better than Kinoma, because that doesn't recognize it...and add-on or anything?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Porter View Post
    I have a Centro and a 755p...when I receive video in the email, it always says my phone does not handle that type of media?
    What kind of video (i.e. what video and audio formats) are you receiving via email?

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  8. sopranoiam's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #8  
    Most seem to be .wmv or mpeg...now and then Kinoma will open one and download it, but can't find it once it does....is there a happy medium in a program somewhere.....a nice all-purpose do everything program? It seems like each one is good for a small part of things. I'd pay good money for something that does everything.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Porter View Post
    Most seem to be .wmv or mpeg...
    That narrows it down a little, thanks. Kinoma Player supports WMV and MPEG-4 files, and you can find all the details about codec support, etc. in the manual (see "Content Compatibility").

    I'm also happy to look at any files that don't play for you and explain why.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Porter View Post
    a nice all-purpose do everything program?
    If by "do everything" you mean "do anything a PC does", then you really need a notebook PC or UMPC. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a "do everything a PC does" mobile player.

    For example, your device with Kinoma Player supports many more file and codec formats than the iPhone.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks

Posting Permissions