1.    #1  
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet.

I'm currently using an Intel MacBook and syncing my Sprint Treo 700p with The Missing Sync. I've noticed lately that an application called PowerPC something or other has been really using up some resources, to the point of having the fans turn all the way up. In doing some research, I've found that this app only runs when there are PowerPC conduits in the list in TMS.

The three I had in there were BackupBuddy2, Documents To Go (The version that came with the Treo 700p), and Passwords Plus.

Now all of these programs have worked great, both under Windows XP and OS X, but syncing with them is a different story. They take a little longer to sync, and having that PowerPC thing running (it starts as soon as you start your Mac, even if you don't plan on syncing anything), it's really slowing down my system.

I've emailed both BlueNomad and Dataviz. Dataviz hasn't responded, and I'm planning on calling them on Monday. BlueNomad said that I had installed the Windows version, and gave me a link to the OS X version. Apparently that guy has never used a Mac in his life. I replied, telling him that wasn't even possible, so we'll see what comes of that.

Basically, this is just a warning. If you need a computer side application for passwords and backups, and you're running OS X, stay away from PasswordsPlus and BackupBuddy. As far as DocsToGo goes, you can always decide to NOT install the software. I really don't use it, so I'm not going to miss that, nor am I going to find a replacement (is there??). I'll start looking for replacements and post my finds here.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post

I'm currently using an Intel MacBook and syncing my Sprint Treo 700p with The Missing Sync. I've noticed lately that an application called PowerPC something or other has been really using up some resources, to the point of having the fans turn all the way up. In doing some research, I've found that this app only runs when there are PowerPC conduits in the list in TMS.

The three I had in there were BackupBuddy2, Documents To Go (The version that came with the Treo 700p), and Passwords Plus.

Now all of these programs have worked great, both under Windows XP and OS X, but syncing with them is a different story. They take a little longer to sync, and having that PowerPC thing running (it starts as soon as you start your Mac, even if you don't plan on syncing anything), it's really slowing down my system.

I've emailed both BlueNomad and Dataviz. Dataviz hasn't responded, and I'm planning on calling them on Monday. BlueNomad said that I had installed the Windows version, and gave me a link to the OS X version. Apparently that guy has never used a Mac in his life. I replied, telling him that wasn't even possible, so we'll see what comes of that.

Basically, this is just a warning. If you need a computer side application for passwords and backups, and you're running OS X, stay away from PasswordsPlus and BackupBuddy. As far as DocsToGo goes, you can always decide to NOT install the software. I really don't use it, so I'm not going to miss that, nor am I going to find a replacement (is there??). I'll start looking for replacements and post my finds here.
    I am not sure if this will help you, but for me, I use the Missing Sync folder sync conduit for syncing documents (and NV Backup files) and anything else on my SD card I want, rather than the conduit by documents to go or a Backup conduit and it works great.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/19/2007 at 01:40 PM.
  3.    #3  
    So the folder sync will also sync a folder from the SD card? I'm using BackupBuddyVFS (or whatever it's called) to backup to my SD card. Would I be able to sync that folder to my hard drive then??
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    the DocsToGo that came with my 680 wasn't Universal! that the frig! i'd actually use the syncing component if it was!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    So the folder sync will also sync a folder from the SD card? I'm using BackupBuddyVFS (or whatever it's called) to backup to my SD card. Would I be able to sync that folder to my hard drive then??
    yes, the folder sync was designed to sync folders on the palm's SD card with the folder of your choosing on the MAc hard drive.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/20/2007 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    the DocsToGo that came with my 680 wasn't Universal! that the frig! i'd actually use the syncing component if it was!
    I've had conduit problems with DTG on the Mac platform. So after installing DTG 10 on my treo 680, I removed all of the DTG desktop components from my Mac, and then just haver been using missing sync 'folder sync' to manage doc to go items between my Mac and SD card. Works great and its simple.
  7.    #7  
    That folder sync worked great. I never even thought of that. I don't use DTG, so I synced the backup folder to my MacBook, then created a folder on my MacBook with stuff I'd like backed up, resumes, budgets, Quicken files, and the like.

Thanks for the tip!.

To get rid of conduits you do not want to use, just go into Library/Application Support/Palm HotSync and if you dont have it already make a folder called Disabled Conduits inside the Palm Hotsync folder. Then drag whatever conduits you dont use from the Conduits folder into the Disabled Conduits folder, you will see that they no longer appear on the Missing Sync panel. If you decide you want them later, you can just drag them back into the Conduits folder.
  9.    #9  
    You can also highlight the conduit in TMS and press Command-delete, and it will move the conduit over to the disabled folder. A lot easier than messing around with the folders. That's the only way it will stop the PowerPCCompatibility app. from running.