1.    #1  
    Hey guys,
    I just spoke to a rep who is willing to exchange my treo700P for a similar type of a phone.
    I explained all the problems with this phone and the new ones created by the update.
    If I am going to exchange it, I would like to upgrade to something better and not equivalent or worse.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Michael
  2. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Depends on if you are wed to Palm programs. If so, then the 755 is probably the way to go - but you'd need new accessories.....
    Cheers

Charles
    If you're on Sprint, then the above is sound advice. If you're on VZW, you are SOL for a Palm solution until the 755 is released (which the rumor mill says is either September or November). You'd have to switch to the BB8830, which by many accounts is a stable, relatively trouble-free device.

I, myself, am looking to switch to an iPhone but my medical software is all Palm-specific and there's no database reader for iPhone as yet. I am therefore stuck on POS viz VZW for now as I don't like Windows Mobile. I'm awaiting the 755.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    If you're on Sprint, then the above is sound advice. If you're on VZW, you are SOL for a Palm solution until the 755 is released (which the rumor mill says is either September or November). You'd have to switch to the BB8830, which by many accounts is a stable, relatively trouble-free device.

I, myself, am looking to switch to an iPhone but my medical software is all Palm-specific and there's no database reader for iPhone as yet. I am therefore stuck on POS viz VZW for now as I don't like Windows Mobile. I'm awaiting the 755.
    That's not really true. You can switch to the 700wx, the Windows Mobile flavor of the Treo, which (unlike the 700p) works as advertised. Verizon went me a 700wx after I'd gone through seven 700p's and I'm pleased as punch.

I think I'm done with proprietary operating systems unless Apple releases an iPhone on a CDMA network. Until then, it's Windows Mobile for me.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies,
    I do have a lot of software that has accumulated over the years. A Ton of skyscape programs and pocket tunes that I can't live without.
    However, there have been rumors of the 800w being released in early september. If it has WiFi and other improvements that have been mentioned, than it is a worthy upgrade.

I am going to try and borrow my friends phone, he is on Verizon and has a 700w just to see if Windows Mobile is something that I can get used to and convert.
    Unfortunately feel like Palm OS has been promising the world and has not delivered in a few years. Plus, almost all of the new devices being released and Palm being no different are going the Windows Mobile direction. Just seems that I will eventually have to make the jump anyhow.
    For those who have made the jump, how difficult is it to transfer all the settings "phonebook, etc." to the Windows Mobile platform?

Thanks.
    I've talked to quite a few iPhone owners who were previous Palm owners, and I haven't found one yet that says they love it. The reason being? They were so PDA-centric with Palm. Just simple navigating through the calendar and contacts is a bear. Navigating, scheduling and modifying is just not as easy as it was on a Palm and on most pda phones. If you are a heavy user of the "pda" functions, I'd think twice about the iPhone unless Apple thinks it's necessary to upgrade it with more pda functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS View Post
    I think I'm done with proprietary operating systems unless Apple releases an iPhone on a CDMA network. Until then, it's Windows Mobile for me.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I successfully migrated all contact entries from a 700p to a 700wx today as follows:

1. Sync contacts in 700p to Palm desktop application in Windows XP.
    2. Export contacts from Palm application as a .cvs file
    3. Import .cvs file into Outlook.
    4. Sync 700wx with Outlook.

The migration is very straightforward and in my case the 700wx is a much more usable, stable, and dependable device in comparison to the 700p.

I am unsure about the migration of calendar entries but suspect it is also possible (e.g. similar to above or in my case the Verizon 'Wireless Sync' application would suffice.)

-b

Quote Originally Posted by hockey_fan3000 View Post

For those who have made the jump, how difficult is it to transfer all the settings "phonebook, etc." to the Windows Mobile platform?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS View Post
    That's not really true. You can switch to the 700wx, the Windows Mobile flavor of the Treo, which (unlike the 700p) works as advertised. Verizon went me a 700wx after I'd gone through seven 700p's and I'm pleased as punch.

I had nothing but problems with my 700wx. I hated it. I tried for along time and it just would not work. I think the 700p is way better than the wx. Atleast for Sprint it is.