View Poll Results: Do you like Palm Centro?

Voters
198. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. And I think it'd have a chance in the smartphone world

139 70.20%
  • No. What was Palm thinking when they create this montrosity?

59 29.80%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Just wanna gauge how Treo fanatics view the direction Palm's heading
    Palm Vx (2000)> Handspring Treo 600 (2003)> Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830 (16th October 2006)
    My reasoning for yes: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...21&postcount=2

Now, before I get flammed. Realize, the Centro is not for everybody. Palm seems to have 3 demographics in sight now:
    * Power users (Treo 7**p/w/wx, Treo 650)
    * Light weight-heavy weight users (Treo 6**)
    * Younger Gen Y, Business users that want their data with them for access but not really for edit on the phone (Centro)
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I think a third option is mandated. Like I said in the other thread, I'm starting to like it though it is not of much use "here".

Game over!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    $99...
    small and pocketable...

I like it. I don't want one (I don't think), but someone will. If I didn't have a 680 and was looking to enter the smartphone world, I'd certainly consider it. My wife might even consider it, b/c she hates big smartphones and can't see spending a lot of money "just for a phone". It may do just fine in the marketplace.

Although all this is speculation since none of US have seen or used the device!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    It's a good move from Palm to widen the customer spectrum. Hopefully Palm and Sprint will come up with a special data+voice+text bundle which can truly attract the young people (and some parents) to sign up. (I already know Sprint has very good data pricing so you can save your flame.)
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    While not for me, I think it has a good chance, believe me, kids will eat up the keyboard.
    I voted no, because I don't like it. However, I do agree that there is a market for this, as there is always a market for everything, no matter how stupid it may be.

After all...Apple managed to find a market for the iPhone, right? *Goes to find flame retardant suit*
    I do see the market capability of it but I don't like it myself. We have a prime device that has problems that have not been resolved while awaiting on a supposed evolutionary device to rival the competition that is in speculation and this small ugly device along with the Foleo is all that is going on now while other smartphones are leaving Palm in the dust, and if the final product is anything like these proto photos I am dissapointed in Palm...yes, of course functionality is first important but with competition like the iPhone being at least an attractive device wouldn't hurt.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    After all the negativity we saw in Treocentral after 800p/ Centro was announced, 2/3 for 'Yes' (as of now, 28 against 13) is quite surprising. Palm might just have a hit here :-)
    Palm Vx (2000)> Handspring Treo 600 (2003)> Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830 (16th October 2006)
    Here is my take on the Centro. Right now I have a Moto Q and am very pleased with it. Previously I've owned just about every model of the Treo and was overall very pleased with them. My overall direction though is "smaller, lighter and cheaper" even at the expense perhaps of loosing some functionality. The days of me spending $500-600 for a Smartphone are over. BUT I'm not willing to give up basic Smartphone functions such as full keyboard, web browsing, email and media playing. Appearance is important to me also. I don't want anything that looks too geeking. That's why I won't get a Sprint Mogul and also why I wouldn't be happy anymore with a Treo. I want something that is easy to slide in my pocket. No belt clips, etc. My Q fits all my needs and it's almost sounding like the new Centro will also. I don't understand Palm keeping it with POS though. I would have thought it would be WM6. A lot of folks will debate me on this but when it comes to market I think this young crowd (who are all very PC/Windows savvy) will be turned off by POS. Anyway it will be interesting to see what this products turns out to be. If it sells for $99 I will probably buy one. The question is though is that $99 a discount/rebated price with a new service agreement? I've got a feeling it is going to have a non-discounted price in the $300-400 range.
    Quote Originally Posted by emy_77 View Post
    After all the negativity we saw in Treocentral after 800p/ Centro was announced, 2/3 for 'Yes' (as of now, 28 against 13) is quite surprising. Palm might just have a hit here :-)
    Its certainly doing better than the Foleo.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8...browserue0.png

Surur
    I personally think that the centro is pretty slick. small and cheap. It could easily sell to the common teenager. I have already started thinking of friends of mine that would be interested in buying one. But I have to say I wouldnt trade my treo 680 for ANYTHING!!! So my vote is yes, but I wont get one
    It reach to the Sidekick/Pearl crowd with a really good price point. Even I like it. Since I move majority of the mobile browsing to the Nokia n800, I can just use this as an EVDO modem.
    Whoever it is targeted at, I don't see many buying it. It has to be the absolute ugliest phone I have ever seen. I would kick my teenage son out of the house, if I ever saw him with a ugly phone like that. I just don't see any teenager pullin one out of their back pocket sayin "Hey look! I got a Centro!" That phone is so ugly.
    Matty
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Ugly centro. Why can't they make the treo 680 thinner instead. And they have to spend more money to promote the new brand "centro", what a waste.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    I like it for someone else but not for me...
    Whoever it is targeted at, I don't see many buying it. It has to be the absolute ugliest phone I have ever seen. I would kick my teenage son out of the house, if I ever saw him with a ugly phone like that.
    That's actually a tick in the box - if it appeals to your parents, it makes it completely uncool. On the other hand, if parents hate it enough to kick kids out of the house, Palm are definitely onto a winner!
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan View Post
    I don't understand Palm keeping it with POS though. I would have thought it would be WM6. A lot of folks will debate me on this but when it comes to market I think this young crowd (who are all very PC/Windows savvy) will be turned off by POS. Anyway it will be interesting to see what this products turns out to be. If it sells for $99 I will probably buy one. The question is though is that $99 a discount/rebated price with a new service agreement? I've got a feeling it is going to have a non-discounted price in the $300-400 range.
    I wonder if palm os 5 is the longest selling OS in history? Funny thing is the OS is still not stable... they can't even get fixes to work right.

Yea, give this to your teen... lol....

I like the idea of this phone though... I would have like to have seen WM 6 on it or the new palm OS (if there ever will be a "new" palm os).
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I'm excited about the $99 SMALLER palm. Frankly I gave up on my 700w and 700p for work... I just use a bb 8800. it rocks email, but is WEAK for everything else. So I keep my treo 700p going on sprint with a cheap plan. I hate thinking every 2 years I have to try to sell my old treo for $250 on ebay and pay $300 when I sing up with sprint for 2 more years... and than pay $7 a month for insurance on a WAY to expensive phone because I'm scared I'll break it. So I love the idea of $99, still run garnet (for my gps topo app, ptunes, SAG BT, 4cast, da, bible reader, psmemo, on and ON!). Just PLEASE don't dumb it down and do something silly like remove bluetooth. That would kill the deal
    third option- I'll wait to see what this thing looks like in person & whether the keyboard is usable or not
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast