View Poll Results: Do you like Palm Centro?

Voters
198. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. And I think it'd have a chance in the smartphone world

139 70.20%
  • No. What was Palm thinking when they create this montrosity?

59 29.80%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "Just PLEASE don't dumb it down and do something silly like remove bluetooth."

I think it's got to have bluetooth to communicate with it's mobile companion, the Foleo. Doesn't it?
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Maybe just maybe this could be a good thing in the big picture. Maybe Palm did some market research, finding that the biggest sector of the market is the younger kids. The future Treo users. No time like the present to make future Treo users current Treo users and just maybe Treo users for life.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    my second thought - the treos we use today are mostly targeting adults. it might be difficult for Palm to penetrate into the teen market as it's dominated by sidekicks. but it's worth the try. let's hope the young crowd will grow to love the treos like we do.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    after seeing the new pics, I want to change my vote. one tough lookin phone.
    Matty
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I think this has a lot of potential IF they can keep the price at $99 with a 2-year contract not only on Sprint but also on Verizon.

What I would really like is having a Helio Ocean type form factor that runs POS but this looks pretty good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    but it's worth the try. let's hope the young crowd will grow to love the treos like we do.
    who is we? there are many "we" that have actually left "it" behind. i'm sure you've read all of the "goodbye treo" messages out there...there are many, i'll be glad to copy/paste them if need be
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    After dropping to below 60% yesterday, the percentage for Yes slowly increases back to above 60% (70 vs 44) today, after the Sprint official pictures surfaced (which, by the way I think is so gorgeous; not that I don't think the spyshots were bad-looking). I knew Palm would deliver this time around
    Palm Vx (2000)> Handspring Treo 600 (2003)> Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830 (16th October 2006)
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    who is we?
    "We" are those who love the Treo, not every member of the human race.

If you don't love the Treo, you are not in the "we" group.

Is this really that hard? Next week: Conceptual Semantics 101.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    who is we? there are many "we" that have actually left "it" behind.
    Well why the f... are you still here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    "We" are those who love the Treo, not every member of the human race.

If you don't love the Treo, you are not in the "we" group.
    based on so many comments found here at TreoCentral i'm not sure the "we" group even loves the Treo. or maybe it's just a tough love for the thing. so many desperately want a change, i can't blame them really.

as for the Centro, it could work, they just need to make it look a little better somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Well why the f... are you still here!
    don't get your panties all in a bunch , i'd say that 95% of my posts are found in the other devices forum. i'm still interested in what Palm does or tries to do, and i think they're going in the right direction with the Centro, and that is why i'm here.

the Centro could work. give it a slightly larger screen and perhaps shave even more off of its girth. then work on the cosmetics of it. i think they'd sell (as long as it had a comparable feature set to other Treos, and better).
    Nice phone - not for me – Gen Y and teenagers are the market for this phone.

Reading this thread, I think most of us here are of the same mind set.

A few weeks ago; our 17 year old, starting quarterback neighbor was showing me his new (yes – “new”) Treo 650. He was telling how much he liked the keyboard for sending SMS. His parents did not get him a wireless plan for him, just minutes and text messaging.

All he wants to do is call his friends, send SMS, and occasionally take a picture. Referencing my neighbor as a “typical teen”, I think the Treo Centro will fit these non-power uses requirements.

My wife and I utilize an Exchange server and manage a heavy schedule between both our jobs with our offices. The Treo Centro does not fit our needs.

I am just glad Palm did not re-package another device in the same case that the Treo 680, 750, and 755 have used.
    Last edited by Fender Doc; 08/26/2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender Doc View Post
    My wife and I utilize an Exchange server and manage a heavy schedule between both our jobs with our offices. The Treo Centro does not fit our needs.
    Ok, and? First, I understand if you are referring to the fact that the Centro is a POS only device (as of now). However, one does not need a powerhouse device in order to sync with an Exchange server. Another valid point would be the "smallness" of the keyboard. but aside from the two items I mentioned above, a WM centro could be right on par with device like WM Smartphone like the Blackjack or a device like the Touch except with a keyboard. In which case, the Centro would have a "Two-up" on a device like the Touch with a keyboard and 3G capability.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I like the Treo Centro. I think this is evidence that Palm is trying to get into a new and future demographic. On the contrary, I do not think it is for a power user; ie: heavy duty traveling sales.

Before I started using my Treo 750, all my previous Treos used Palm OS. I will never go back to the Palm OS now. Windows Mobile, although far from perfect, is much better at synchronizing than Palm OS. I always seemed to have something not sync correctly, duplicate copies, etc.

The Treo using Microsoft Exchange was just one example. I live out of my Treo 750. I have multiple medical programs on it that I use constantly. This is not to mention the multi-media programs I use a great deal. I have maximized the capabilities of my Treo 750.

From what I have read the Treo Centro will not meet my needs, but it will meet somebody’s.

With the exceptions of the Foleo, I am excited to see what Palm has to come in the near future.
    Last edited by Fender Doc; 08/26/2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Is it just me or with the Centro leaks and photos, not to mention information on it. Along side the new GSM Treo passing the FCC... is anyone else gaining a little more confidence Palm is really trying to come back?

The letter from Palm to Engadget seemed like they were pissed because they are really trying and pulling every string.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    Is it just me or with the Centro leaks and photos, not to mention information on it. Along side the new GSM Treo passing the FCC... is anyone else gaining a little more confidence Palm is really trying to come back? .
    What GSM Treo?

Surur
    I am with Surur, what GSM Treo?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I'm in. I just want a phone that I can sync with my desktop calendar, contacts, to do and email for viewing on the go. The smaller and cheaper the better.

Finally a reason to upgrade from my 600.
    I'm with frank-barnett: I want to see it in person and test the keyboard ergonomics for myself. Right now I'm satisfied the the 755p, so I have no compelling reason to switch other than the size factor -- but the leaked pictures really don't give me enough sense of scale to know just how much smaller the device is. I have to say, though, the black model is infinitely more appealing than the previous white model, which looked like a Virgin prepaid feature phone.
    I personally think the Centro is a piece o' crap but that is because I'm a Treo user. It is my opinion that the market to which this device was designed to cater will find it quite appealing and I think it is a smart move for Palm to expand its horizons in terms of targetting more than just business execs and high-end PDA users.

I vote 'Yes'.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast