Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm says its for younger crowd. this is a device without a market.

no businessman buys it cause small keyboard. but wait. u can use foleo. well if u need foleo then its not aimed at younger crowd now is it?

secondly,just because its rumored to be cheap at $99 doesn't mean its for younger crowd. why? because idiots at palm gave it EVDO. what parents/teenager will pay for evdo?

Can't palm simply make a low end treo and a high end one. crap. now they have 2 high ends on sprint in different form factors.

brilliant . . just brilliant
    You don't know Gen Y too much?

High speed Internet for some (there are some money conscious Gen Y members, such as myself) is pretty big. Gen Y is all about IM, SMS and Web. We grew up on the Internet, remember?

So, how the Centro fits in with certain business people AND Gen Y at the same time... simple. (I cannot actually talk about the Foleo, but I can speculate about the usage of the Centro).

So, small with a "thumbboard" just like many Gen Y "texters" will like (many girls love small phones that they can decorate and slip in their tight pants, a style that I don't really get, but...). The phone is also realatively inexpensive, this is attractive. Most of the younger crowd has their mommy and daddy to pay for their phone bill, so they rack it up (which really is a habbit that I wish people would break).

As for the business people, I see the Centro as more of a light weight "central" point for information (Centro is Center in Spanish). Get a text message or an email that needs a quick response then you have a small thumbboard. Need to type up a long email? Hookup with a Foleo. So, it is very well designed that the keyboard is small and the navigation buttons (5-way, and the other, what appear to be 4, buttons) and screen would be a bit larger. It sort of makes the Centro a glorified USB flash drive that can be moved around.

While the Centro isn't quite my device, I do like what appears to be the use for it/its purpose.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Sorry but the Centro is a great idea.. Even if it doesn't work out it definetly has a market. More and more people are going pda etc etc.. This phone is positioned to fill a major void in the market IMO.

SERO 1250 7PM N&W / 15% CORP Discount / Unlimited SMS
    My personal opinion is that this won't sell too many Foleos unless the price on them goes to $99. I just think this phone is going to be to middle & high schoolers what the Treo now is to us, something that does what none of the other folks phones do. They are a huge market. And that, my friends, is what it's all about.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Dang shame this device was not around back in the 60's. Ben
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    secondly,just because its rumored to be cheap at $99 doesn't mean its for younger crowd. why? because idiots at palm gave it EVDO. what parents/teenager will pay for evdo?
    It's a chance for Sprint (and Palm) to cook up a data+voice+text plan that's 'affordable'. Besides Sprint's data plan is already one of the most reasonable among other competitors. It's all about marketing and strategy. I believe parents/teenager WILL play for EV-DO if the price is not outrageously high.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I have shown this to small sampling of middle school to post high schoolers and it is actually quite well received. Most would actually perfer it to be GSM (prepaid). But they definately think it is cool. The Treo was to big and expensive and having qwerty even if it is small seems better than T9. Even my said she would consider this where I have been trying to talk her into a Treo for years with no success.

I think there is a market, maybe not TreoCentral type users but a market just the same.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    So your wise move would have had Palm not putting any data option on it? Every Sprint phone has EvDO.

Wow. Thank goodness you don't have anything to do with Sprint/Palm.

BTW, since when do Palm devices need data services? I have friends with Treos without data plans and they quite happy.

Don't want data? Don't buy data.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yes...how stupid of Palm to put a data service on a PDA phone. Well, this shows that Sprint and Palm managed to not hire at least one dumb person...unless this guy does work for Sprint or Palm.
    I fear that the Centro wouldn't really tear away the youngins' from their Sidekicks or Dash.

I happen to deal with a good bunch of them and first and foremost, looks and function play a big part, not necessarily price. They don't mind dropping $200 on "cool looking" devices as long as the keyboard is easily usable, which ties into I.M/chat.

Ever since T-mobile released the much cheaper Sidekick I.D which goes for $50 (after a $50 mail-in-rebate), it's really picked up even more.

If the Centro is going to be competing for the youth market (which is more aligned towards Sidekicks and such), then it needs a more radical design to pull them in.

One last thought though, even the Helio Ocean which goes for about $300 (with contract) with all its really cool built-in features like GPS buddy beacon, I.M clients, e-mail clients, myspace, 3D games and so on, is selling very well of late.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I fear that the Centro wouldn't really tear away the youngins' from their Sidekicks or Dash.

I happen to deal with a good bunch of them and first and foremost, looks and function play a big part, not necessarily price. They don't mind dropping $200 on "cool looking" devices as long as the keyboard is easily usable, which ties into I.M/chat.

Ever since T-mobile released the much cheaper Sidekick I.D which goes for $50 (after a $50 mail-in-rebate), it's really picked up even more.

If the Centro is going to be competing for the youth market (which is more aligned towards Sidekicks and such), then it needs a more radical design to pull them in.

One last thought though, even the Helio Ocean which goes for about $300 (with contract) with all its really cool built-in features like GPS buddy beacon, I.M clients, e-mail clients, myspace, 3D games and so on, is selling very well of late.
    All good points. People will pay top dollar for an ipod, but nickel and dime when it comes to a phone.
    The OP doesn't know much about data plans, does he? Sprint EvDO is the cheapest high speed plan available, by a large margin. In fact, its far cheaper than the iPhone's low speed plan.

Do a little fact checking next time.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I think Palm should wrap a lot more services around their devices. Especially novice users need to be led more. You can make up for a poor device with great software.

Surur
    Maybe they are expecting teenagers to get the Sprint SERO plan with unlimited data
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    My 14 year old daughter already has data on her phone because I added it years ago for $5/month. I showed her the picture of the Centro and she wanted to know when I was getting her one. She thought it looked cool.
    This Centro at $99 also has to compete with the likes of the Samsung u740, which appears to be pretty popular. It is a small, RAZR-like flip phone that has a dual hinge and a full QWERTY, going for as little as $30. Sure it doesn't have the full PalmOS functionality, but it is very sleek and probably half the volume of the Centro and has a decent (non-touch) display very suitable for messaging.

Between messaging, email and webbrowsing, I'd said that covers 95% of what most people would want out of a more advanced phone (beyond a standard camera phone), i.e. not sure most people care about a "smartphone" beyond having the software, QWERTY and display needed to do messaging, email and websurfing comfortably...

With the u740 at $30, you then have the pressure of Q/Dash/Blackjack at $100. Maybe the Centro can squeeze in there for some market share, but its a tight squeeze.
    yea, give to a teen... with the wonderful palm OS with hundreds of thousands of downloads available... next you will hear, "Dad/mom, my phone is broken. It keeps resetting and I don't know why. I think the OS is sh%t. We should have gotten the iphone, dash or HTC."

And they will be right.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    We should have gotten the iphone....
    Yeh because that's only $500 more
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    yea, give to a teen... with the wonderful palm OS with hundreds of thousands of downloads available... next you will hear, "Dad/mom, my phone is broken. It keeps resetting and I don't know why. I think the OS is sh%t. We should have gotten the iphone, dash or HTC."

And they will be right.
    I love how this implies that teens are dumb when it comes to technology, that they're the one who run to the adults for help when something doesn't work. Yikes, old people are full of themselves.

They'll probably be hacking the POS and showing old people a trick or ten that they didn't know.

Plus $99 for a device they can IM on versus a $600 one they cannot. Real winner there.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Didn't Palm create Treo 680 for the young crowd or first-time smartphone buyers? Teenages today like to use phones that adults use. Look at firefly - the company that makes cell phone for kids, it's a miserable failure.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast