Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBi View Post
    Sorry but the Centro is a great idea.
    What the hell are you smoking?
    Ya know what I like about this device. Buy a wireless keyboard and college students can leave the laptops at home/ in the dorm. For short term note taking, a device like a treo, that is inexpensive with a wireless keyboard is great. If it gets stolen, you are out far less money then with a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    Teenages today like to use phones that adults use. Look at firefly - the company that makes cell phone for kids, it's a miserable failure.
    My 8-year-old wouldn't be caught dead with a Firefly. He is currently lobbying for a RAZR2 for this Xmas, or at least some 2Mpixel color camera flipphone.
    Wow...you would seriously give an 8-year-old a RAZR2 or some other high-end phone?

I mean, I don't think very highly of Motorola phones (I'd consider it a punishment if somebody got one for me), but still...it's supposed to be a high end phone nonetheless. Personally, when I have kids, they won't be getting cell phones until they absolutely need them, and I just can't see any kid absolutely needing a cell phone at 8.
    they better do something about the finish (color) of this device if they want to sell it to anyone.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Wow...you would seriously give an 8-year-old a RAZR2 or some other high-end phone?

I mean, I don't think very highly of Motorola phones (I'd consider it a punishment if somebody got one for me), but still...it's supposed to be a high end phone nonetheless. Personally, when I have kids, they won't be getting cell phones until they absolutely need them, and I just can't see any kid absolutely needing a cell phone at 8.

i gave my 11 yr old cousin a Treo 755P when it just came out... and she loves it.
    EXACTLY MY POINT! so many out there don't use most of what these devices have to offer.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I agree, I think Palm should stick to higher end S-Class Mercedes, and stop making little C-Class Kompressors. (catch my drift?)

funny thing is: If the Centro have EVDO Rev A, I will probably pick it up.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    So your wise move would have had Palm not putting any data option on it? Every Sprint phone has EvDO.

Wow. Thank goodness you don't have anything to do with Sprint/Palm.

BTW, since when do Palm devices need data services? I have friends with Treos without data plans and they quite happy.

Don't want data? Don't buy data.
    data on Sprint is pretty cheap actually, $15 for EvDO Unlimited, or included in the SERO package!

If you want a Treo with data, I personally think T-Mobile and Sprint are the cheapest to go with!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    Didn't Palm create Treo 680 for the young crowd or first-time smartphone buyers? Teenages today like to use phones that adults use. Look at firefly - the company that makes cell phone for kids, it's a miserable failure.
    How could you compare a product made to go against a moto q to a firefly??

Remember that this is not only made for the young crowd, this is filling a gap that is hurting their business (the moto q, blackjack, etc)

So I think it will work. It is a great way to bring in some revenue to a cash starved company .

Personally, when I have kids, they won't be getting cell phones until they absolutely need them, and I just can't see any kid absolutely needing a cell phone at 8.
    Oh, I didn't promise him a RAZR2. My point is that he is fully aware of phone features other than voice and wants it, and he wouldn't be caught dead with a Firefly. I will probably get him something in the $50 ebay range, perhaps a used V3c RAZR, but definitely some kind of color camera flipphone.

These same kids are also caring for and carrying around $200 PSPs and the like. It isn't about *needing* these days ... they don't need PSPs either. They all have their own laptops too... (kids these days...)

If I can make him happy with a $50 phone and a $5/mo service, it seems relatively harmless...
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Oh, I didn't promise him a RAZR2. My point is that he is fully aware of phone features other than voice and wants it, and he wouldn't be caught dead with a Firefly. I will probably get him something in the $50 ebay range, perhaps a used V3c RAZR, but definitely some kind of color camera flipphone.

These same kids are also caring for and carrying around $200 PSPs and the like. It isn't about *needing* these days ... they don't need PSPs either. They all have their own laptops too... (kids these days...)

If I can make him happy with a $50 phone and a $5/mo service, it seems relatively harmless...

In some places I have read that the Centro would have Rev A for EVDO, now I am not so sure. Palm is not taking care of it's faithful!! They should concentrate on our Linux Treo's. But I guess the stakes were already out there and they had to continue this course to get new Palm customers while leaving the Palm faithful to go to other devices. Net loss again for Palm. How can Palm stay afloat at this rate. Just do like Apple did and announce the specs and pictures of the Linux Treo and tell us what to expect!! (even if it is 6 months down the road! and we can tell them to change the design of the product. We had no chance on the Centro or the Treo 500. Why not make both devices the same size?
    All you people do is complain complain complain. Didn't your parents every teach you any manners?

Everytime Palm comes out with something new you say, "Palm sucks".

If you don't like it then don't buy it. Or are you one of the poor sapless souls without a spine who complains about it then buys it.

when I have kids, they won't be getting cell phones until they absolutely need them, and I just can't see any kid absolutely needing a cell phone at 8.
    Parents want their children to have cellular because the parents can communicate easily with their children. You want examples, ok. 8 year old is being picked up from a school function. Crowded lobby of an auditorium. No kid in sight. Call them on the cell.

Once you have children, you will understand. Of course, it helps if the son/daughter is respectful, polite and courteous about when, how and where to call from. Examples are they best way to begin teaching such.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12