Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Assuming the "centro" is as small as the BB Pearl and a little bit thinner, I think it's a very good idea.

I think it will do what the 680 couldn't do with all its fancy color, that is, reaching a different segment and a new range of audience.

Well, it all depends on how small the new phone is.

Oh yeah, I have my frame suit on, go ahead.
    The problem is that I don't believe it is very thin. In fact, it looks rather thick.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The problem is that I don't believe it is very thin. In fact, it looks rather thick.

Surur
    Thin & wide

or

Thick & narrow

That seems to be choices out there with most landing in the first group. Personally, I find "super thin" devices to be off putting if they end up being very wide, like the Moto Q.

But until we get actual specs and better comparison shots, this is just conjecture.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The problem is that I don't believe it is very thin. In fact, it looks rather thick. Surur
    This is the second time I've read that. Has anyone actually seen a photo of it from the side? Or better yet, seen one. Just wondering how thick it is.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I think that this device should come with features that would put it at around 200.00 I think that is a fair price for a pda and cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Thin & wide

or

Thick & narrow

That seems to be choices out there with most landing in the first group. Personally, I find "super thin" devices to be off putting if they end up being very wide, like the Moto Q.

But until we get actual specs and better comparison shots, this is just conjecture.
    BB can do thin and narrow with the Pearl...How come Palm can't?
    at&t iPhone3G
    Laziness? Resting on their laurels?
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    BB can do thin and narrow with the Pearl...How come Palm can't?
    Define thin.

Moto Q is 11.5mm (63mm wide)

BB Pearl is 14.5 mm (50mm wide; no full KB)

BB Curve is 15.5mm (61mm wide)

HTC Cavalier is 13.5 mm (62.5mm wide)

That doesn't come across as being extremely thin, does it? What makes it so special? The Cavalier comes across as the best dimensions for a full QWERTY device, why can't BB match that?

Now what are the dimensions of the Centro?

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Define thin.

Moto Q is 11.5mm (63mm wide)

BB Pearl is 14.5 mm (50mm wide; no full KB)

BB Curve is 15.5mm (61mm wide)

HTC Cavalier is 13.5 mm (62.5mm wide)

That doesn't come across as being extremely thin, does it? What makes it so special? The Cavalier comes across as the best dimensions for a full QWERTY device, why can't BB match that?

Now what are the dimensions of the Centro?
    Thanks...pre hi-jacked photos gave me the assumption of the Centro being a comparable size to the Pearl with the exception of being a little thick. The Pearl's height width and thickness seems to be rightfully proportional wich looks real good and feels the same as well.
    at&t iPhone3G
    does the touch screen prohibit thinness?

none of those bb have it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Here's a picture of the back of the device - looks pretty thick.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4...9ef1c9flp8.jpg

I also recall an end-on picture which looks pretty bad also.

A little bit of googling turned up all the other pictures also.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4...9fb8810qx7.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5...9faf769ix9.jpg

They are clearly trying, like on the LifeDrive, to use aggressive inward sloping of the back to hide thickness.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 08/17/2007 at 08:02 PM.

They are clearly trying, like on the LifeDrive, to use aggressive inward sloping of the back to hide thickness.

Surur
    Like I said, till we get actual dimensions and comparisons to existing devices, "looks" from blurry photos can be deceiving.

I'm not saying it's the thinnest device but I don't think it's too thick either. It's definitely narrow though.

The "aggressive inward slopping" is not to hide thickness but rather for ergonomics. Super thin, yet flat devices, feel odd in the hand as it leaves a large space between your Palm (lol) and the phone, so you end up gripping it with just the fingers pads and base of the thumb.

Even though my Q is significantly thinner than my Treo, the Treo still feels more natural since its width and round back make it a better fit. Palm won't abandon that roundness and if so, I'm actually happy about that.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4...9ef1c9flp8.jpg

I also recall an end-on picture which looks pretty bad also.

A little bit of googling turned up all the other pictures also.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4...9fb8810qx7.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5...9faf769ix9.jpg

Surur
    Lord in the heavens, it looks ugly, so darn ugly, so hideous. Where is the design? Last i checked, first impressions still count.

Maybe HTC can volunteer some of their design people to Palm, long term.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I don't care what anyone says, I like it. I think it's sharp.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The ipod color scheme may or may not fly; but, the feedback I've gotten from the youth among me is verrrrrry positive. When one of them saw it was only $99, the quote was "Wow! Cool!" And at that price, parents may not need as much convincing. This device may not be for you, but it's target is a very lucrative one. Maybe it will gain enough momentum from time of release to be a hot holiday item. I would be even more confident in it's success if I had more confidence in Palm's ability to market... and actually saw a few specs.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 08/17/2007 at 09:38 PM.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    IMHO I dont like a phone to thin. Holding a razor to your hear for a 10 minute conversation is damn uncomfortable.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Lord in the heavens, it looks ugly, so darn ugly, so hideous. Where is the design? Last i checked, first impressions still count.

Maybe HTC can volunteer some of their design people to Palm, long term.
    This just goes to prove the old saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would like to see another color, but I really like what I see of this phone so far. My wife got rid of her 600 in May when we went to Sprint and didn't want the 755 because she didn't use the features enough to continue carrying such a big phone. If this one was out back then I'm sure she'd have it now instead of a Katana. Heck, for that matter, I might have had one instead of a 755.
    Last edited by RickMG; 08/18/2007 at 12:05 AM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, I like it. I think it's sharp.
    So does my daughter...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Surur
    Seems to me that they curved it for comfort in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

My father, who was an amature artist had a saying that I think fits perfectly with all the people posting such negative posts concerning this phone.

"Only a damn fool judges unfinished work"

Now, trust me, I'm not calling anyone a damn fool, I'm just saying that in this case, not one of us has had one in our hands to see the finished product, so it would be much better to wait until we actually see one to judge. And, anyone here whose seen my posts on my experience with the company knows, I am not a lover of the Palm company. (I do love their product though)
    Last edited by RickMG; 08/18/2007 at 12:25 AM.
    I have to admit, the more I look at the Centro, the more attractive it gets.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast