Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello fellow Treo enthusiasts. I've been building an online client/server multiplayer game system for Treos for the last year or so, and it's finally to the point where I think I can release an alpha test version. But before I make it particularly public, I thought I'd post here and see if you guys want to try it out and maybe give me some feedback.

It's called "wifight" and the website is wifight.com. The client is at http://wifight.com/download/. It's a single PRC which connects to the wifight server over your data connection. The client is capable of playing many different types of games (much like a web browser can display many types of pages). Currently I have implemented Chess and Tic-tac-toe, with lots more being planned. The graphics are kind of basic for now but all the gameplay is there.

I'm really very interested in any and all feedback on wifight that I can get, so I'll be watching this thread if you want to reply, or have any questions or suggestions or problems.

http://wifight.com/ is the main page and http://wifight.com/download/wifight.prc is the prc.
    http://badmofo.org/brendevlog/ is my dev blog.

Note that Treo 600 is NOT supported, because I don't have one to test with. 650 and 680 have been tested. 700 and up should work fine but haven't been tested.

And I forgot to mention the first time I posted this: feel free to create a tictactoe game against me, 'basu'. I'm pretty bad at Chess, though, so you can also try playing Chess against GNUchess by creating a Chess game and entering 'chessbot' as your opponent. Warning: GNUchess is pretty mean.

And if you don't enter any opponent name, then you can play both sides and just hand the Treo back and forth with another player.
    Last edited by Brennan; 08/18/2007 at 04:38 AM.
    Sounds cool. I'm gonna test it out for you. Is this gonna be free?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    It sounds interesting to me too! I've been lookin for a chess client forever, I'm in!!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Looks neat. Like the concept.
    I created a user: Palmloyalcom
    Works on my 755p.
    One I got in, I couldn't remember a AI opponent's names; so I played with myself (Don't tell anybody though).
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
  5.    #5  
    Oh hey! I was watching the RSS feed but I never saw any replies. I guess it only shows new threads.

Playing games on wifight is free. Someday there may be some kind of premium membership options for sale for people who want them (maybe t-shirts, or a gold star by their name, or some other perks, who knows) but the plan is to keep playing games free.

The Chess AI player's name is chessbot. He's the only bot right now (and he only plays chess) but there will be more, named appropriately (checkersbot etc)

Thanks for testing out the system for me. I updated the prc, the new version is 0.2. I also set up a vhost http://get.wifight.com/ for the download page, so that's where to get it now. (Should be easier to type into the Treo web browser.) The main difference between 0.1 and 0.2 is that 0.2 will auto-reconnect if it is disconnected.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell, Brennan, this is way too beautiful! Like Ljj above, I too have been waiting for a Palm chess-server, in fact just yesterday I posted this comment on another TC thread:

"then again, if someone came up with an app that allowed me to play games on the top online chess server, ICC, i'd probably pay even more than 30!"

I was impressed by:

1. the ease and speed of creating an identity
    2. the ease and speed of creating a game (chess obviously in my case)
    3. the exceptional clarity and overall visual appeal of the chess-set and board (and the funny comments as you play!!)

I don't know if I didnt see one because no-one else was logged on at the time, but should a list of other online players show up somewhere? That would shift the experience up to a whole new level!!

The treo continues to deliver (well, the developers do anyway).

geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Brennan,

A couple of other comments...

* I can get it to launch from the card, using a ZLink shortcut, but when I exit the program it leaves a 300+K Wifight app behind in the RAM.

* Its ability to save previous games is really neat!! I take it that will work for games with human opponents as well?

You might not want to charge for this app, but you might want to make it possible to donate!! If the multi-player server thing happens, I'd pony up for this one without hesitation.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    I can confirm that version 0.20 crashes my Treo 600 as soon as I try to create an account and/or log in. The error log says:

Bitmap68K.c, Line 2573: Unknown HighDensityDispatch request: 21
  9.    #9  
    TRgEOff: There's no list of other players online yet, but there will be. I am still figuring out exactly how I want to implement that.

Launching from the card - Is it the wifight.prc that's left behind, or the wifight-(eight digit number).pdb? Can you elaborate a little more on what's supposed to happen? I've never used ZLink.

Yes, human opponent games will be saved as well. Once they complete you can delete them from the client if you want to save some space. They're kept on the server still, so someday you'll be able to go thru your old games (and other peoples') and so on.

jberman: Treo 600 support - Still working on it! Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I don't actually have a 600 to test on so I'm working with the simulator. I fixed the bug you encountered but then I encountered some more so gimme a little time

Edit: oops, I did mention that. But thanks for confirming
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    Launching from the card - Is it the wifight.prc that's left behind, or the wifight-(eight digit number).pdb? Can you elaborate a little more on what's supposed to happen? I've never used ZLink.
    Thanks for reply Brennan. Great to hear that we can look forward to seeing others online!

Ive worked out that problem above, and it had nothing to do with your program, my apologies. It's not even worth me explaining what was happening. It works perfectly from the Card when you create a shortcut using ZLauncher (which I use in preference to Zlink in these situations anyway) and nothing is left behind.

So Ill let you get back to more useful concerns!!

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  11.    #11  
    Oh, good, glad that's ok then.

I've been working on Treo600 support in the sim, I should have a prc ready to test by Monday.
    Cool, sign me up!
  13.    #13  
    Heh, or maybe Tuesday.
    Someboby challenge me to a test game of chess. User name is "Famous". Everyone post their user name so we can get some testing going!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Someboby challenge me to a test game of chess. User name is "Famous". Everyone post their user name so we can get some testing going!
    Great idea, my wifight nick is the same as my TC nick trgeoff, Ill start a new thread and maintain a current list in the first post.

ill be on soon, dont know if ill be able to play a full game though..

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  16.    #16  
    Hiya, I posted the 0.3 client which should support Treo 600 play. I only have a simulator so I'm interested to see how it goes on a real one. The URL is still http://get.wifight.com/.

Heh I'll try playing chess with whoever wants to, TRgEOff. But I do super suck at it so I might quit if/when my position gets too bad.
    Playing chess now against the chessbot on my Treo 600. It's awesome!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman View Post
    Playing chess now against the chessbot on my Treo 600. It's awesome!
    Excellent! I can finally just mark the 600 as supported.
    Actually I am having some connection issues. It may have nothing to do with the fact that I'm on a 600, though. I'm going to try to reload the prc.
    Hmmmm... it's stopped working. On trying to connect, it seems to flash through a series of login steps very quickly (something like "Status: Connecting..." "Status: Logging in..." "Status: Offline") and goes back to the login screen. I've even tried creating a new account. It just seems unable to reach the server.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast