Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Push '.' to disable the debug thing.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman View Post
    Actually, it's quite a bit slower. I suspect it's because the connection is going idle more often? I guess that's good for battery life but saps the performance. Also, I had a few connection issues in the middle of a game, but the connection did come back, eventually.
    Yeah, I think that's what's happening. I did lower the network socket polling rate to save on battery. The upcoming 0.9 should be faster. Hopefully we can find a nice compromise between battery life and performance, but this is a game, so performance is gonna have to get the edge here.
  3.    #103  
    0.9 is posted! This build addresses trgeoff's corrupt prefs issue and jberman's lack of network speed.
    Prefs are now stored with a SHA1 checksum. If they get corrupted somehow, the checksum will fail and the prefs will revert to defaults.
    I also made the network code check the socket more often for (hopefully) better responsiveness.

Back to losing at chess...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    Yep, it does. It's a placeholder for a real notification system.
    This for some reason does not work on my 755P, anyone else confirm this? I get no LED display or vibrate notification when its my move. I don't have any odd programs that would prevent it from preventing the notification from coming to the phone (i.e. Butler)
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Some suggestions if you want:

1) I can see when it gets popular/more people playing with a win/loss record keeping or ratings implementation that abandoned games may become a problem. Perhaps if someoby has moved in x many days they forefeit automatically? 10 days? User discernable when they game starts?

2) Categories to file different games under (like a drop down or something)

3) Different chess pieces...I keep losing the bishops as to me they look too much like pawns....yeah I know, crazy. I don't want fancy curly pieces or battle pieces, just a few good clean cut piece sets. :-) Skinable boards would be nice too. Oh, and maybe even a letter piece set (You know, K, Q, N, B, R, and P instead of the outline of a piece).

4) Save games to pgn format...or at least that notation's format to the memo pad or something so games can be saved for later and going back over them. Looks like palm openchess supports pgn (http://palmopenchess.sourceforge.net/) and I am sure there are others. Hey, openchess has a few different piece styles!

5) I know you may be looking at messaging, but did you ever play Spaceward Ho! originally for the Mac (though there is a palm version). Turn based space battle game, but it had pre-canned messages you could send to oppoets that popped up on the screen before it showed their moves. You could do something similar...pre-canned or type in? Ho! had ones like "Arrrrghhh" or "$#%@#%@#$%" or "Nice" in neat space cowboy-cool type accents. though just the text would be good. :-)
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    0.9 is posted! This build addresses trgeoff's corrupt prefs issue and jberman's lack of network speed.
    Prefs are now stored with a SHA1 checksum. If they get corrupted somehow, the checksum will fail and the prefs will revert to defaults.
    I also made the network code check the socket more often for (hopefully) better responsiveness.

Back to losing at chess...
    Thanks for the new developments Brennan!

Even since 0.8 I have had numerous phone calls/SMS's arriving while Ive been in a game, without any further problems. all going super-smoothly, connecting seems faster than ever.

great work...and I do hope you get to win some chess!! ....and what will be your own favourite game that youre plannng to put on wifight down the track?
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Brennan,

I am reporting a session where my screen shifted to the left and one box on the screen that displayed fps = 17.1 and ms = 58. The numbers changes over time. I think someone already ran into this. I have version 0.9

I got out of the program and went back in, the box disappeared. Don't know what I did to make that happen. I did not drop my Treo.
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Brennan,

I am reporting a session where my screen shifted to the left and one box on the screen that displayed fps = 17.1 and ms = 58. The numbers changes over time. I think someone already ran into this. I have version 0.9

I got out of the program and went back in, the box disappeared. Don't know what I did to make that happen. I did not drop my Treo.
    Sorry, maybe I should have mentioned it, but there are a whole bunch of 'undocumented' keys you can hit (for debugging.) I guess I should either turn em off or document em:
    • . (period key) toggles framerate display
    • h,j,k,l moves the camera around
    • q,a zoom camera in and out
    • z,x rotate camera
    • i,o turn keylights off and on
    • c,v toggle led
    • b buzz vibrator
    • space bar resets the camera (by replaying the turn) Alternately just exit and reenter the gameboard. I might reassign space bar to bring up the chat window someday though

These are just for debugging (and only work in the game screen) so at some point I will probably disable them, or require a special keystroke or something to activate them.
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Thanks for the new developments Brennan!

Even since 0.8 I have had numerous phone calls/SMS's arriving while Ive been in a game, without any further problems. all going super-smoothly, connecting seems faster than ever.

great work...and I do hope you get to win some chess!! ....and what will be your own favourite game that youre plannng to put on wifight down the track?
    I'm glad you haven't had any more pref issues.

I would have to finish a game to win! I am super slow because I know whatever move I pick it will be the wrong one. When I play chessbot I tell myself "ok chessbot go ahead and show me why I shouldn't do THIS". And he generally does.

I'm not sure what my own favorite game is gonna be yet. I have some ideas of course.
    Thanks Brennan for explaining those key commands. It is neat to be able to turn off the keyboard lights at will.
    Brennan, are you able to see all the games as they are played? Must be nice to see those all the matches.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    hi brennan,

thanks for the game! good to go down fighting.

Over the last week or so, I've had several, almost daily recurrences of the reset "prefs" problem I was having earlier. I didnt post about this until now because I was trying to see if there was a pattern, part of which I think I have finally picked up on.

Basically something bad often (not always) happens to the unsaved prefs if I leave the treo off, but with wifight open, for long periods, e.g. 20-30mins. After such a time, when I turn the screen back on I typically refresh the connection squares in wifight, but this doesn't re-establish the connection, but leads to a reset.

Subsequent connection attempts also cause resets, and I have to restore an older version of Unsaved Prefs to remove the problem. Once I had to restore saved and unsaved, and since then, by experimenting with restoring unsaved only or both, my experience is that restoring both sets of prefs provides greater subsequent stability (in that sometimes I also get wifight resets in contexts other than after long waits).

The #*377 message is always the same, as provided previously (caused by wifight, Fatal exception)

I dont know if this gives you any clues!

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Brennan, are you able to see all the games as they are played? Must be nice to see those all the matches.
    Not right now, but that would be pretty neat! I'll have to think about that...
  14.    #114  
    hi brennan,

thanks for the game! good to go down fighting.

Over the last week or so, I've had several, almost daily recurrences of the reset "prefs" problem I was having earlier. I didnt post about this until now because I was trying to see if there was a pattern, part of which I think I have finally picked up on.

Basically something bad often (not always) happens to the unsaved prefs if I leave the treo off, but with wifight open, for long periods, e.g. 20-30mins. After such a time, when I turn the screen back on I typically refresh the connection squares in wifight, but this doesn't re-establish the connection, but leads to a reset.

Subsequent connection attempts also cause resets, and I have to restore an older version of Unsaved Prefs to remove the problem. Once I had to restore saved and unsaved, and since then, by experimenting with restoring unsaved only or both, my experience is that restoring both sets of prefs provides greater subsequent stability (in that sometimes I also get wifight resets in contexts other than after long waits).

The #*377 message is always the same, as provided previously (caused by wifight, Fatal exception)

I dont know if this gives you any clues!

cheers
    Yeah, I could have held out a couple more turns but it wasn't looking good. That was my first completed chess game since wifight went alphaish FWIW.
    I have a couple more against bspooky and hteasthope that I need to hurry up and lose too

Now as to your crash...

OK, so the only thing I'm using Unsaved Preferences for is to cache the DNS hostname->IP address lookup for quicker connection. I'm gonna think about maybe caching it into feature memory instead I guess.

Also I've been checking over my code etc. I trust the checksum I added to detect corruption so I'm probably doin something stupid somewhere. And in fact I found some (possibly related) stupid things and fixed them.

The .10 version of the client is coming up which handles network errors much better than .9 does. I've been running it on my 680 for a while now with no crashes (for me anyway) so you can try it out if you like. I don't want to post it to the regular site yet since it's not tested much yet (only on my 680 and the sim) but since you're having crashes you might want to try it. It's at http://wifight.com/test/wifight.prc (for now anyway). Let me know if you try it and if so how it goes. Also if anyone else wants to try it that's cool too.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Yeah, I could have held out a couple more turns but it wasn't looking good. That was my first completed chess game since wifight went alphaish FWIW.
    I have a couple more against bspooky and hteasthope that I need to hurry up and lose too

Now as to your crash...

OK, so the only thing I'm using Unsaved Preferences for is to cache the DNS hostname->IP address lookup for quicker connection. I'm gonna think about maybe caching it into feature memory instead I guess.

Also I've been checking over my code etc. I trust the checksum I added to detect corruption so I'm probably doin something stupid somewhere. And in fact I found some (possibly related) stupid things and fixed them.

The .10 version of the client is coming up which handles network errors much better than .9 does. I've been running it on my 680 for a while now with no crashes (for me anyway) so you can try it out if you like. I don't want to post it to the regular site yet since it's not tested much yet (only on my 680 and the sim) but since you're having crashes you might want to try it. It's at http://wifight.com/test/wifight.prc (for now anyway). Let me know if you try it and if so how it goes. Also if anyone else wants to try it that's cool too.
    good to know youre not wasting your time playing as many games as the rest of us!!

Thanks for the new version. Ive got 0.10 going now, and will report back in due course.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    so far so good.

Ive had the Treo running 0.10 wifight for nearly 12 hours straight now, screen variously off and on, received calls, etc etc, not one reset. Looks promising.

Havent got to play many moves yet with it though. It's not fair really, just the time when I want to play, you know, at work, and that's when the US treo base is busily asleep!

need to get more Indians on board!

anyway, thanks again for your solid efforts to make your baby stable. Im sure your dedication to detail will pay dividends down the track.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  17.    #117  
    so far so good.

Ive had the Treo running 0.10 wifight for nearly 12 hours straight now, screen variously off and on, received calls, etc etc, not one reset. Looks promising.

Havent got to play many moves yet with it though. It's not fair really, just the time when I want to play, you know, at work, and that's when the US treo base is busily asleep!

need to get more Indians on board!

anyway, thanks again for your solid efforts to make your baby stable. Im sure your dedication to detail will pay dividends down the track.
    Hehe, I have noticed your turns come in around 1am my time.

I have just posted a new 0.10 test to http://wifight.com/test/wifight.prc. It fixes a reset when you purge old games. If no more bugs come out of it, it will become 0.10 official and I'll move on to 0.11.
  18.    #118  
    I'm working on logging of game win/loss statistics. I had a couple ideas I wanted to run by the ChessChumps for feedback:

1. Should I reset all the games when tracking goes live? Or can you guys live with some early games that don't go on your record but still exist in the server? I might be able to write a tool someday to update the old ones. But a clean break can be nice.

2. What about quits? Should a quit mean the other side wins? Maybe if the quit is after X number of turns? What should X be then? 2, maybe 3?

Let me know what you think!
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Hehe, I have noticed your turns come in around 1am my time.

I have just posted a new 0.10 test to http://wifight.com/test/wifight.prc. It fixes a reset when you purge old games. If no more bugs come out of it, it will become 0.10 official and I'll move on to 0.11.
    Thanks Brennan,

will try that. the old 0.10 continued to be rock solid, I think you have solved whatever was the problem with resets. good one

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I'm working on logging of game win/loss statistics. I had a couple ideas I wanted to run by the ChessChumps for feedback:

1. Should I reset all the games when tracking goes live? Or can you guys live with some early games that don't go on your record but still exist in the server? I might be able to write a tool someday to update the old ones. But a clean break can be nice.

2. What about quits? Should a quit mean the other side wins? Maybe if the quit is after X number of turns? What should X be then? 2, maybe 3?

Let me know what you think!
    I like the idea of the win/loss logging! Fantastic.

My reply to question 2 first: difficult; at the moment the only way for 2 players to agree to a draw is for one to quit (which ronbo2000 and I have done) so from that perspective it wouldnt be good to make a quit a loss; but then again many quits are losses. So some mechanism for an agreed draw (which is one of the most common types of ending in tournament chess) is needed.

Q1: Given my answer to Q1, I think there should be a clean break.

A further reason for a clean break is my game agaisnt BSpooky yesterday. Oh Man!! After I managed one great early move, leading to a promising position, I came up with a new variety of "mouse error" and lost a rook.

I selected one rook (the "right" one) to move and then I thought I selected its correct destination square. But I was using my clumsy thumb instead of the stylus, so in fact I actually re-selected the other "wrong" rook that was sitting right next to my destination square. Without realising this (I was watching an exciting cricket match) I then tapped the destination square again, hit "Make move" and watched in horror as the wrong rook moved into the "right" place.

I have had counselling but I am told it could be years before I fully recover.

My therapist strongly urges the clean break to speed my return to normal life .

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.